Random Power drops while riding? - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 02:15 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Interesting... followed wiring diagram, black/red goes from ECU to coupler 17 to clutch switch.... coupler 17 likely to left handlebar wiring? From clutch switch, changes to black/yellow going to coupler 17 then into ECU. Seems a bit odd to me that causes an issue, so info is processed within the ECU.
Other related items will be Stop/Run switch, sidestand switch, neutral switch (gear position switch). All of which are related to starting or not starting.... will an intermittent connection in any one cause short term fuel pump relay switching on/off causing fuel starvation? Anybody's guess..... best just check them all, jiggle/wiggle, look for intermittency in each of them.
With fresh fuel, Seafoam should have easily taken care of any water.....

Interesting post on the VFR forum last week.... did you seal this tank with POR?? This guy used Red-Kote and failed to let it cure long enough, fuel dissolved it and it coated his valves and piston rings. I know nothing of POR, but I doubt I'll ever use Red-Kote based on that... is it worth pulling the fuel pump to see whazzzup with fuel supply? Not that code 19 indicates anything like that..... ok save it for later.... but you're kinda experiencing a fuel starvation symptom..... electrical or physical.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Jeez glad you could find all that, I've been having a tough time trying to trace this wire!

But I am still bricked on this code 19, I cannot even clear it now in Diag, soooooo f#*$ me I guess, seems it must be a short or some kind of wiring mishap? I need to see if i can check with a volt meter for resistances or open circuits.

And I am confident I followed proper cure on the tank sealer, I was very careful because I had heard horror stories similar to what you are talking about there. But with everything I have pulled off its no problem to flip the tank over and pull the fuel pump out and verify.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Ok I am realizing that my manual is or 2006/2007, but the bike is an 08, hope that doesn't make any difference in wire layout?

But following the color coded diagram which I just realized existed (i was trying to go off the black and white ones and that was tough)

I see the B/R wire is on (#16) Coupler 2 "wire harness Front cowling wire harness", connects to the (#1) main switch (but changes color there) and also connects through the (#12) gear position switch, into (#13) Coupler 1 "wire harness Front cowling wire harness"

I can sort of see what you're talking about Ray, with the wire going from Coupler 2 through the Relay Unit ( 76 / 77 - starting circuit cutoff relay / 78 fuel pump relay) and then also the (#71) Clutch switch, then black/yellow into ECU, but the clutch behaves fine, or it wasn't acting up before, guess I need to put eyes on them physically.

Which couplers are these exactly? Are these actually inside the front cowling like where the headlamp assy is?

EDIT*

Also found this to be handy -

https://www.moto4.ru/downloads/S5JW1AE5.pdf

See book number page 20 for specific troubleshooting on code 19, basically nothing new, going to follow from the big wireharness under the gas tank, and the couplers runs off it somewhere i think? I'm hoping just under the gas tank and not too deep !

Last edited by ThanksBarry; 06-26-2020 at 05:25 PM. Reason: new info

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 07:34 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have an '06 manual as well, and I expect same except for some # designations.... your link is to a Gen1 analysis... same is in the '06 manual except checking relays added... I assume fuel pump relay.

But it's pointing to the side stand switch..... so, if it is intermittent, that would be a problem... eliminate that possibility by unplugging the sidestand switch and bridging it (always closed when up)...essentially telling the ECU the sidestand is indeed up. There have been sidestand switch issues in past history......
ThanksBarry likes this.

Ray
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
I was able to bypass the sidestand switch briefly with a random piece of paperclip, but I couldn't ride it to test, does anyone have a recommendation for a more reliable or permanent option for that (a way to bridge and close the circuit at the sidestand switch plug)?

I am really not wanting to pull the front plastic off and cut into these wore harness bundles to trace the black/red, I found the first connection of it to the ignition but it is wrapped and leads into the larger bundle and if that's what it needs I can cut it open but gosh I'd rather not do it 😕

Edit*
Also, I was having issues with no start even with gear in Neutral, so while I am more than willing to bypass the sidestand I still worry about this being a electrical gremlin or 'grounding spider's type of issue, unfortunately I cannot find any other forum posts on this specific issue

Last edited by ThanksBarry; 06-27-2020 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Additional info about code 19
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 01:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Lotsa sidestand issues in the past..... as far as cutting into harnesses, the idea is to find the connectors with the wires, not be cutting anything...... I've not known anyone to have wires cut/chafed/broken that are under tape/tube/shielding..... more likely connector issues/dirty/corroded than any wires broken.
Can you see if sidestand switch is dirty/plunger not sticking... is it sensitive to barely coming off rest position (intermittent as you hit bumps kinda thing).
ThanksBarry likes this.

Ray
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Ok Everyone !

Possibly a happy update!?!

I did a more """permanent""" jump on the side stand switch using a small screw, and used electrical tape around he coupler to hold it in place,

I took a short ride down the road and was aggressive, hard throttle pulls, trying to move the bike around and go WOT to replicate the original issue, and IT SEEMS that everything is cool now!

Which was strange because I had tried the DiAG 20 sidestand switch test and it always passed but that was STATIONARY not jiggling about on the road...

SOOOO, maybe this is it?

I can post a picture of the small screw I used, if anyone has a less redneck way of fixing/jumping that connector I'm all for it, but if it works it works

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, this may save me from any serious deconstruction on the bike, if this seems to resolve longterm I will post an update edit in my initial post so that if any unfortunate soul has this issue maybe they can just try my quick test/fix!
These forums are always so helpful and informative to people like me and others who want to do their own work, and I love learning new things about my toys! So I hope this can help future FJR owners.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 02:35 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Random Power drops while riding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksBarry View Post
Ok Everyone ! Possibly a happy update!?!

I did a more """permanent""" jump on the side stand switch using a small screw
I can post a picture of the small screw I used, if anyone has a less redneck way of fixing/jumping that connector I'm all for it, but if it works it works
Barry,

This bit was probably NOT on an FJR, but I remember somebody had a problem like yours, and everything checked out right.

His malfunction was caused because the sidestand return spring was weakened or stretched. When the bike was out on the roads, the sidestand could bounce downward when the bike bounced up, and that made the engine cut out for a second or two. He fixed it (temporarily) by stringing a bungee cord to help hold the sidestand up over the bumps, until he could order in a new return spring.

Just a thought; I believe your bike has two return springs on the sidestand, one inside the other. Not very likely, I know, but maybe worth a look there, to make sure both springs are attached and strong.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page