Nothing new to report. Just reporting in ( because I personally find it discourteous when people get online and beg for help then never bother to update those that took the time).
This was the first time the FJR really let me down - and I suppose it was really me who didn't identify the problem properly sooner - who is to blame. I live on Vancouver Island BC and this place gets awfully small very fast for a bike the size of the FJR. Fortunately I have a job where I have 2 weeks off every month and this has allowed me to explore the entire continent on my bike. My FJR literally literally averages 1 month in my garage for every 11 months it is in storage in a different part of N. America; free for me to fly to and use at any time. It has been a loyal companion and in the 150,000 kms I have put on it in the past decade (sorry Ray, you asked me the mileage-didnt state it), I don't recall ever having it in the shop, save the two times I took it to GP suspension in WA and CA.
Tomorrow was supposed to mark Day 1 of weeks of planning with a fellow rider I haven't seen in almost 3 years that would take us to Ontario on this trip, Nfld later this year and eventually Tampa or Miami later in the fall (assuming things get better with the pandemic). I've come to the realization that I am not going to be able to make the trip as planned, as I have already delayed it a couple of days due to other unforeseen BS. Needless to say, I am pretty deflated about the entire thing. Even if I could get it into a mechanic and out by tomorrow and a thousand bucks lighter, I doubt I could make it work and still feel happy about outcome.
So, tomorrow morning, I am going to follow up with the advice those of you have taken the time to give and see if anything jumps out as do-able, but my gut says a miracle isn't in the forecast. I've already spent 2 weeks at home under self-quarantine so I am not putting others at risk during my cross-country journey, and frankly, I need to get the **** out of here. I'm thinking if RaY was here, the bike would be road worthy in minutes or as long as it takes to get needed parts, but for me, it will probably take much longer and be more of a lesson in either stress or alcohol management; (the latter I've already started the second class).
Anyway, I will keep you posted, but likely my beloved FJR is getting the insurance removed until further notice, at least until I have a more worry-free period to work on it.
If you don't hear from me in 24 hrs, thank you all who took the time to give me such good advice on such short notice; the work isn't completed, just postponed.
Last edited by Randy_B; 06-25-2020 at 01:00 AM.