Damping Adjustment Range on GenII - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Damping Adjustment Range on GenII

Hi guys, I've been doing a bunch of research on suspension tuning and plan to start messing with my settings (2009 GenII with 27k miles). I recorded my baseline settings of where I'm at now and I have some concerns about the range of my adjustments (total number of clicks between all the way out and all the way in). Front rebound has 40 clicks total left and right. Front compression has 30 clicks on the left and 35 clicks on the right. Rear rebound has about 45 clicks total. These ranges seem super wide considering the Owner's Manual calls for Minimum 17 clicks on Front Rebound, Minimum 21 clicks on Front Compression, and Minimum 20 clicks on Rear Rebound. In other threads on this forum I've seen mentioned the click range should be in the 20ish range and ideally the left and right should have the same number of clicks. This would need to be properly adjusted when assembling the fork (at least for the rebound adjuster). I don't know for sure but I can't imagine that this fork has ever been rebuilt so I'm running on the assumption that this is how it came from the factory. I'm not finding many answers online as most search results are about how to tune the suspension which there is plenty of information on and isn't what I'm asking about.

So, my questions for you knowledgeable folks...

Do these adjustment ranges seem out of whack? 30-35 clicks available in front? 45 clicks available in the rear?
Any GenII owners with similar adjustment ranges on a stock bike? Could it have come from Yamaha like this?
Should I be concerned about the difference in click range on the front compression (30 left vs 35 right)?

Any insight is much appreciated. Thank you!

2009 FJR1300A
2006 YZF600R (Sold)
2018 Subaru WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 01:44 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The number of clicks is variable, can depend on how well you got the fork cap seated all the way down on the damping tube on the cartridge..... the total number is in fact irrelevant to anything.
All that's important is the adjuster pushes on the rebound rod against a spring-loaded tapered needle. When you snug it in fully clockwise, the tapered needle is seated (don't overtighten, do it gently so not to damage the brass) and will flow no oil. That is the hardest setting, basically no rebound damping at that point. Backing it out x clicks means more oil flow through the valve... at 20 it's most assuredly full open for all intents and purposes....
The standard Yamaha setting is not a lot of damping at all, certainly no good for the twisty rider. This is one method you can use... I always recommend starting at 8 clicks out where you can start to feel it, that to me is medium.... now you adjust/tweak to your liking based on several trips over several conditions... might take you a week, might take you months.
If you first turn it 4 clicks you should immediately notice a difference, now you know what that feels like... tweak two more, next one more... ultimately you'll decide where to be.
Compression damping on the lower fork tube, same thing. Rebound damping on rear shock (which affects rear compression somewhat) same thing.
Things will change once/if you upgrade your fork springs so they properly hold you and the bike up to the proper ride height/sag. Tweak the damping again at that point, likely a tad lighter. The idea being you should not over-damp but use what is necessary to get the job done.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Thanks Ray. You answered another question I had as well. I figured by 20+ clicks that sucker has got to be about wide open regardless of how many clicks on the adjuster. I decided to start at 8 clicks out from another one of your posts and also from the poll thread it seems most people are around 7-8 clicks on both. I went from 9 and 11 on rebound and compression respectively to 8 and 8. Just did about 65 miles and I can notice the difference. I need to get my preload dialed in too mine is way low (5) from what most people here are using (2-3). I'm 6' ~200lbs and trying to reduce the front end dive and maximize handling for aggressive riding. I'd like to get some good sag measurements as well but could use an extra set of hands.

2009 FJR1300A
2006 YZF600R (Sold)
2018 Subaru WRX

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 07:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If you've still got the stock springs, dial the preload all the way in... stock spring rate is 0.85..... too light for you really, you need more like 1.0 so cheat and dial it all the way in.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I went for a test ride with the preload on 2 then went to 1 and road it again. Feels a lot better! I'm going to ride it like this for awhile before I start fiddling with the damping more. Will look into aftermarket springs as well. Thanks for the advice!

2009 FJR1300A
2006 YZF600R (Sold)
2018 Subaru WRX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page