"Snappier"/Increased Throttle Response - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By RaYzerman
  • 1 Post By Mad German
  • 1 Post By RaYzerman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

"Snappier"/Increased Throttle Response

Is there any way to increase the throttle response, i.e. make it "snappier"? When I blip the throttle, there's an ever so slight delay in the engine revving. The throttle response on my previous bikes, albeit sportbikes (R1 & R6), the throttle response was razor sharp/instantaneous.

Any ideas/thoughts?

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 08:49 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

1. New spark plugs. 2. balance the throttle bodies. 3. Adjust out all slack from the throttle cables. 4. Set warm idle speed to 1100 RPM.
5. Disconnect the main throttle return spring next to the pulley where the cables connect to the throttle bodies. There are 4 springs down there, which make the load on the twist grip too high. A lighter twist grip action will make the bike seem much more responsive. Be careful the first time you ride it like this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 09:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I heard in the past, that messing with the CO settings can improve throttle response. I wonder if Ivans "flash" helps with this?

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 09:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonic View Post
I heard in the past, that messing with the CO settings can improve throttle response. I wonder if Ivans "flash" helps with this?

CO setting address "snatchiness" in the on/off throttle and at low-load speeds (think 2ndary road cruising in commuter traffic).

Bernie is spot-on with his 1-4 recommendations. Do them systematically with a ride between each adjustment to note any changes. As for recommendation 5, I would remove 1 wind (not completely disconnect it) on gen 1 and maybe gen 2 bikes. I personally don't think it's needed on Gen 3.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 10:09 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The throttle unwind was done on '06-'07 because the throttle pull was harder on those years... in '08, it was make lighter.... so be aware, unwinding the main spring one turn was all it took. Much lighter, to the extent you may experience a tendency for the spring not to return the throttle immediately on decel when at mid-throttle positions. No biggie, it didn't need much help to return, just be aware of the delayed response to do so. Note, I've ridden other bikes with light throttle springs and they behave similarly. You won't notice this with the engine off, play all you want.

Now to answer Mad German's problem, go with the Ivan flash.
bounce likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 12:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I believe I was the first person on Earth to disconnect the main throttle spring on a FJR. I did it on my first 5 FJR's, but not on the last, a Gen3, because these have a "fly by wire" electronic throttle, and the twist grip action is quite light anyway.

The FJR has a dual cable throttle control, whereby one cable pulls the throttle open, and the other pulls it closed, so it doesn't actually need any springs at all, when you close the throttle, it must close, unlike single cable actions where you rely on the spring to close the throttle.

In fact, on previous bikes, a Honda CB750K1, and a Yamaha XS1100H, I did remove the springs completely, and what a joy it is to ride a bike like this. I know all the safetycrats will be horrified, but remember most modern bikes have a tip over sensor, so if the bike falls down, the motor is automatically shut down. They also have "kill" switches to easily shut the motor down in the event of a runaway.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I took a bit of free play out of the throttle. I made sure to turn the bars both directions while the bike was running to see if the idle speed changed as a result of a possible too tight throttle cable. It didn't. Taking out the little bit of free play seemed to do the trick.

As far as the throttle spring, I actually prefer a slightly heavier throttle spring. My previous sportbikes (particularly the Yamahas) all had throttle springs that felt like my FJR. I've ridden friend's bikes with softer throttle springs and did not like the feel.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. Ride safe.

MG
bounce likes this.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 09:16 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Definitely, the throttle freeplay can be an issue as the difference between on and off throttle just increases "snatch" with more freeplay. Don't remove it all as you do need a tad of it, but adjust to near zero and it will make a heck of a difference. Yammy says 1/8" I think, that's too much IMHO.
The Ivan flash will get rid of the fuel cut which occurs when you roll off to zero throttle... when that does, the ECU tells the injectors to "re-wet" the intake and that slight delay results in "snatch". No fuel cut will be quite the improvement.
bounce likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 10:42 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
The Ivan flash will get rid of the fuel cut which occurs when you roll off to zero throttle... when that does, the ECU tells the injectors to "re-wet" the intake and that slight delay results in "snatch". No fuel cut will be quite the improvement.
Ivan's flash also increases the base timing which will be the main cause for a snappier throttle.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page