Possible brake pad/rotor damage/gouging - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dubfjr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Question Possible brake pad/rotor damage/gouging

Gen 3 2015 FJR 1300 ES

Noticed a wired wear pattern on the rear rotor after taking the wheel off/putting it back on. Thought something might be cocked slightly, so I took off the rear wheel, put it back on to spec (torque, spacer washer, abs alignment mark, etc. No change.

Tried then taking the pads out and cleaning the caliper. piston seems to move freely, there was still grease on the slide pins, cleaned everything and re-greased anyway. No change, but looking at the pads it seems they are already gouged. Probably not going to get magically better by just riding it...

Should I replace the pads? the rotor doesn't have any massive lands/groves in it yet. Anyone else seen something like this? It all happened in the matter of just a few miles.

-Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG1.jpg (313.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG2.jpg (427.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG3.jpg (274.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG4.jpg (202.0 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 01:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

To me it looks like something got in there, like a piece of stick or something. I'd sand off the pads a little to smooth them out (just a little) and reinstall. Maybe order new ones if it'll make you feel better. Are both ends of your rear caliper stabilizer arm mounts tight?

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 02:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

Some small stones or grit could have got between pads and disc. Once cleaned up, as you've done, I wouldn't really worry about.
Bernie likes this.

2003 GenI
2006 GenII

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Both caliper stabilizer bolts are tight, as well as the caliper bolts. No movement in the assembly. Will sand it a bit and move on with my life. The disk should be a lot harder than the pads!

-Thanks guys!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 07:51 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Possible brake pad/rotor damage/gouging

Quote:
Originally Posted by synsynack View Post
Both caliper stabilizer bolts are tight, as well as the caliper bolts. No movement in the assembly. Will sand it a bit and move on with my life. The disk should be a lot harder than the pads!
-Thanks guys!
synsynack,

Yes it should be, but hard grit can get in there. Can't really tell in the pix, but in the image looking down at the rotor, it seems like there is a crack or other metal defect in the rotor at 10 o'clock. Check out the pads for grit or foreign matter, sure. If you sandpaper the pads, use only hand sanding, because a power sander will take material off, unevenly. DAMHIK. Then you would need new brake pads, no doubt.

If the rotor checks good, did you loosen or remove the caliper bolts? If so, loosen all the same bolts again, and have an assistant apply the brake firmly while you tighten all of the caliper bolts to the correct torque specs. The wheel should turn freely, when the brake lever is released. Make sure the brake lever pivot is clean and lubed, not gritty. The brake lever must move freely.

Make a cautious test ride in the neighborhood only, not on the open road. Use that brake sparingly at first. Stop and check the brake rotor often, and if it is getting too hot to touch, then you have a problem that will not fix itself. I once saw a bike on the freeway at night, and the rear disk was glowing red-hot. I blew the Blazer's horn at him, four short blasts (collision alert!). He immediately dove out the exit and waved thanks. I could not follow him out, due to traffic, but I saw that he got stopped without incident. Can't say more than this, but he would have needed to wait an hour to cool off that brake. Don't ride with any brake-heating problem; once the brake fluid boils, and it will, things can go bad fast.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Verified no crack in the rotor, that was just a small dirt mark. Brake pivot snaps back all the way with no sticking. Gonna keep an eye on it for sticking/high heat on the rotor.

I had tightened the caliper belts by just putting them on, I can try re-torquing them with someone stepping on the rear brake if I notice the problem continue.

-Thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 08:08 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'm voting some grit got in there, very little harm to rotor.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page