Dynojet OR Ivan's?? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Dynojet OR Ivan's??

Hey guys, probably been discussed before.

I have an 06AE with YSS Auto Clutch and off idle throttle roll on is super jerky. I just installed the G2 Throttle Tamer and it does help quite a bit. I'm hearing that the only way to really fix it is to tweak the mapping.

Dynojet OR Ivan's ECU Flash? The Ivan method seems like a huge PITA. The Dynojet seems like it's a lot easier to install and gives you more control.

Which one have you guys had experience with?

(BTW, Ivan's got the worst website I've seen)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 08:27 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'm in the Ivan camp. Ivan's will fix your issues, the Dynojet will improve them but won't fix them. Pulling your ECU isn't hard, easier to me than installing a Dynojet, unless on that AE it's buried deeper.... should be under the seat tray/airbox.
2GENAE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 06:18 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I've had Ivan flash my FZ1 & was thrilled with the improvement. When he was running his shop in Rockland NY he much preferred to talk directly to his customers & I found his advice to be helpful.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 08:37 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I found this article to be very helpful.... https://www.norton-motorsports.com/2...acer-race-ecu/

It's not an FJR specific article but the concept is the same. Had my FJR flashed by Ivan and the bike is amazing now.

FWIW, I also did get my Ninja flashed by the guys in the link... awesome work.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 09:18 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Good article, Sparky, good explanation of the basics. One of the features of pretty much all FI systems is that when you roll off throttle to zero or near zero, a fuel cut takes place. Emissions thing to stop unburned gasses in the exhaust, wasted fuel, good for the environment. ECU basically shuts off the injectors until you roll on some throttle again. On '06-'07 in particular, this was not good in combination with it's rather lean system, when you roll back on you get "throttle snatch". It's a feature of FI, but some manage it better than others, very difficult to manage on '06-'07, and add-on modules don't fix it... they help if you tailor your map to add fuel in at the lowest throttle openings.
There are other factors, ambient intake air temp, etc.... there are add-ons out there to fool the ECU into thinking it's getting different air temp, but from all I've read on various bikes, these do little.

Ivan's flash (and others) remove the fuel cut, and that is a huge improvement. Another thing Ivan does is alter the timing curve a tad so it is slightly more advanced... too advanced and you'll get pinging under load, but a higher octane fuel can mitigate that. Ivan recommends 89 for Gen3, not sure what he says for Gen2... IMHO you don't need to but if fuel mileage increases to offset the extra cost....
I did not notice any pinging on a week-long trip with my Gen3 flash, using regular fuel in varying conditions, although I was not riding in hot summer to be fair, still don't think it would be a problem, just don't lug the engine down. I can't say I saw much of a mileage improvement, maybe a tad that's all.
So far Gen2 riders seem to love the Ivan flash, haven't heard one negative, but those with it perhaps can comment more on the fuel cut, mileage, etc.
Cost? I think you'll find it comparable... what you'll spend on add-ons to "fix" vs. a flash, and the add-ons just can't fix it.
Kelvin likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 09:53 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I'm in the Ivan camp. Ivan's will fix your issues, the Dynojet will improve them but won't fix them. Pulling your ECU isn't hard, easier to me than installing a Dynojet, unless on that AE it's buried deeper.... should be under the seat tray/airbox.
+1 Ivan is approachable & very knowledgeable.
Kelvin likes this.

2014 FJR1300ES Metallic Black
2000 VFR800 Blue
2007 WR450f Blue
I strive for perfection but have settled for less!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 11:44 AM
Farkle Trainee

I have used Power Commanders with full exhaust on my ZX14 in the past, I am with Rayzerman . Call Ivan and be done with it, Power Commanders can fail had one go bad after 4 years rare but it happens.
Read up on how to install a Power Commander, and load software in lap top and use one of Dyno Jets maps and load it to Power Commander or have it dyno tuned. Vs remove the side plastic etc to remove ECU under the seat.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 11:47 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Here is my experience with my 2006 FJR and the Power Commander III vs Ivans flash: Ivans is head and shoulders above the Power Commander.
Back in 2009 when I installed the Power Commander III, that was the only option and it definitely improved the jerky throttle but it did not eliminate the fuel cut, the root cause of the driveability issue. It masked this by adding fuel to the RPM ranges where it was programmed to do that. Actually did a pretty good job. But it was like a medication, it masked the symptoms but did not cure the problem. On every ride there would always be at least one instance of throttle jerk on roll-on. Much less pronounced but still there. Fast forward to 2020, I had my ECU flashed and it is the best money I ever spent. All the things that are promised are delivered. Bike runs like it should have from new. No throttle snatch most importantly but all the other benefits listed are also true.
I would recommend Ivan's flash to any FJR Gen II owner, it will make you happy every time you ride it.
2GENAE likes this.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 02:46 PM
Farkle Trainee

Here's another big plus to eliminating the fuel cut besides enabling smoother shifts which it certainly does. When you're rolling through the twisties and you roll off the throttle ever so slightly while in a curve and leaned over the bike has a tendency to run wide in the curve because of the fuel cut off. Not a good thing. On a ride yesterday down the coast from Florence towards Reedsport Oregon there is a neat series of wide sweepers that are posted at 45 mph that I normally can zip through at 70 mph but now without the fuel cut I can take these curves anywhere from 5 to 10 mph faster and the bike just stays planted. My FJR is just a primo ride now and worth every penny for Ivan's flash. I actually think she rivals my great handling R1100RSL which really surprises me. I mean we're talking a 640 pound bike here versus one 120 lbs lighter with a shorter wheel base even.

I would like to know when the manufacturers began employing this fuel cut technology. I know it had to be after carburetors went out of fashion and ECUs became the order of the day. I think maybe all modern motorcycles use this technology. I used to own an '04 R1150RT which was almost impossible to shift smoothly because you couldn't control the RPMs when rolling off the throttle on an upshift. The revs would just drop like a rock. I never found the FJR to be as bad but now it's just perfect.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape

Last edited by JamesW; 06-03-2020 at 02:51 PM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Well, that answers my question. Thank you guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page