Sputtering, Somewhat Rough-Idle Fix? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By red

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Sputtering, Somewhat Rough-Idle Fix?

I have a 06 1300AE with 6,000 miles on it. My buddy that I bought it from bought it new, but hardly rode it. After slapping new tires and giving it an oil change, the idle seems to miss here and there. When I snap the throttle on idle and initially sputters a bit.

Any suggestions where I should look first? Plugs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 05:48 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySuhrstedt View Post
I have a 06 1300AE with 6,000 miles on it. My buddy that I bought it from bought it new, but hardly rode it. After slapping new tires and giving it an oil change, the idle seems to miss here and there. When I snap the throttle on idle and initially sputters a bit. Any suggestions where I should look first? Plugs?
Jerry,

You don't say how long it sat still, but first, I would siphon out all of the old gas, and then fill the tank with fresh gas. I use non-ethanol gas, it comes without the problems of ethanol. These guys can find some, near you:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Before adding gas to the empty tank, add to that tank the right amount (by label directions) of a good fuel injector cleaner such as SeaFoam. Then fill with fresh gas.

You do NOT want to run a tank of bad gas through the bike, and then fill the tank. Get rid of the old gas, first. That old gas will still run in a car, because the car's gas tank is big enough to mix with the old gas, so no wasted money there. SeaFoam is good for a car, also.

I doubt that you will need anything else, but keep us posted.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Last edited by red; 05-30-2020 at 05:52 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 06:50 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I 2nd that....get rid of all the old gas...put new 93 octane in with 6 oz or 8 oz of seafoam..then run it hard for a 1/2 hour.. before you run it hard check the air filter....I would buy a new air filter and install at 1st chance...ditch the old air filter..plugs would be last to check...

don't be a nimrod; confound the globalists
1st bike 1964 Honda 305 Superhawk, used $415,2k mi.
2nd bike: 1969 Triumph Bonneville 650 used otd $780
only bike bought new 1974 Kawasaki Z1B 900 otd $2400
Ninja 1000s,Bandit 1200s,Vfrs inbetween...
sold last yr. 2010 Kawasaki Concourse 1400
current: 2006 FJR 1300 Blue , 23k mi. 5/20

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 03:32 PM
Farkle Trainee

M y experience with my 06 is that the jerky off idle and pick up from idle running is programmed into the ecu by Yamaha as their overreaction to emission regulations.
Having struggled with all the various "fixes" over the years, I gave up and fitted a Dynojet FC fuel controller.
It transforms the bike into what it should have been from day one.
And you can "take back control" over your idle running by being able to adjust the idle mixture with a small screwdriver - just like having carburettors!

https://www.dynojet.com/blog/new-rel...-commander-fc/

Last edited by barnstormer; 06-01-2020 at 03:35 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 04:20 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Jerry,

Another option, similar to the Power Commander fix, is to have the ECU re-flashed to the right specs (right for the rider & bike, that is). Ivan's Performance shop in South Carolina has what seems to be a solid firmware upgrade. Now there is not much amiss about my 2008 in flight, but I am going to have that re-flash done as soon as the mail can get there. It's a one-day turnaround, for now anyway, and I think it costs less than a hardware fix on the old ECU. Find JamesW on the FJR forums, for a better opinion. All I know is what I hear, and so far, so good.

Still, a tank of new non-ethanol gas and some SeaFoam will always be a good idea, every few months.
2GENAE likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 04:47 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yes to fresh gas and/or Seafoam to disperse any water, but that little miss here and there is from the lean fueling on '06/'07 in particular. These days, wouldn't spend the money on the Dynojet if it was me, go with the Ivan flash instead... If I had my '07 again right now, that's what I'd do.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Ok cool... got some Seafoam. My buddy actually rode it here and there but only had like 1/8 tank of gas and I didn't pay attention when refueling so already ran a couple tanks.

Thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 08:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Another thing... if you are having stumbling issues/poor idling, remove the MAP sensor (two screws, on top of the throttle bodies) clean any waxy crud from the vacuum nipple and the entire hose to ensure it's clean.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page