OEM Heated Grips!! - Need Your Input - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

OEM Heated Grips!! - Need Your Input

Heated Grips! -- Got an 06 FJR that came stock with heated grips but even with only 6,000 miles on the bike, they need to be replaced. OEM Yams are like $500 for the set!!! Other reason I need to replace is I'm trying to install the G2 Throttle Tamer.

What do most of you guys do?

1) Pony up money got OEM?
2) Get an aftermarket set?
3) Disconnect the heated grips from the 12V and just get standard grips?

Added note, I don't generally ride in super cold weather. So honestly, if I completely mothballed them, I probably wouldn't miss them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 03:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I use dual sport gel grips, unheated. Anything additional like Grip Puppies, Buddies, etc. make to he grips too large for my comfort.

https://www.revzilla.com/dirt-bike/p...al-sport-grips

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 04:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

at 6000 miles the grips shouldn't be worn out, that said, I like a little fatter grip than OEM.... you can loosen the adhesive with a small screwdriver to get it unglued from the throttle tube, chances are it isn't on there that well. Then insert and air nozzle between throttle tube and grip, inflate them like a balloon and they should pull off on a thin cushion of air....

Reinstall with a small stripe of RTV, using air nozzle trick again. Be sure to orient the heater wires properly.
If the grips are worn, get Grip Buddies in the thinner version (Lites), I think you'll like the little extra thickness, and they conduct the heat.

Now, if I could spend your money, get the Ivan flash for Gen2 and it will fix that bike right up, no G2 needed then!
2GENAE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
at 6000 miles the grips shouldn't be worn out, that said, I like a little fatter grip than OEM.... you can loosen the adhesive with a small screwdriver to get it unglued from the throttle tube, chances are it isn't on there that well. Then insert and air nozzle between throttle tube and grip, inflate them like a balloon and they should pull off on a thin cushion of air....

Reinstall with a small stripe of RTV, using air nozzle trick again. Be sure to orient the heater wires properly.
If the grips are worn, get Grip Buddies in the thinner version (Lites), I think you'll like the little extra thickness, and they conduct the heat.

Now, if I could spend your money, get the Ivan flash for Gen2 and it will fix that bike right up, no G2 needed then!
Yeah the grips are not exactly worn out as much as they are just shiny and slick. You know how rubber gets with age.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post

So how does the Ivan Flash come together? Is there some hardware involved?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySuhrstedt View Post
So how does the Ivan Flash come together? Is there some hardware involved?
Never mind... found his website. Too expensive and way too much of a PITA to deal with.
rbentnail likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 11:14 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Can you guys buy Oxford grips over there?
Iíve fitted to my last 4 bikes & would probably never be without them now. I find they have an excellent build quality, adjustment allows you to find the sweet spot and the new digital controller means no risk of flattening the battery. Also they are very reasonable price wise (set for my FJR was around £50 iirc).
flys low likes this.

2002 FJR
N.Lincs, UK.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 12:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

Remove old ones carefully, some one will buy them from you if there just shiny!

Mooseman

Allstate 50, Bridgestone 50, Santa Barbra 125, 180 Twin Jet
305 Super Hawk, 350 Bridgestone GTR, CB450 Honda, 360 Yamaha Enduro, Yamaha 750 Seca, 2 x 1981 CBX, 2008 FJR 1300A
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 08:51 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I'd spend around $100 and get the Oxford Adventure ones. They're a perfect fit for the FJR and many guys, myself included, put them on the FJR's.
atom916 likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 03:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Just curious but what makes the OEM heated grips fail? Is it the elements?

1996 Honda Nighthawk 750 project bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300 ES (sold)
2008 Honda VFR 800
2006 Suzuki SV1000S
2005 Suzuki SV1000S (crashed and rebuilt)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page