2013 fork leg stuck SOLID on disassembly... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

2013 fork leg stuck SOLID on disassembly...

As someone that does his own maintenance, and has done so for years, I always feel pretty confident when I need to do something simple like fork seals. So when the left seal started leaking, well I figured I'd use the opportunity to swap out the head bearings for tapered while I was at it, and the forks would be a piece of cake.

Well, long story short, I'm slide-hammering the first fork, and all of a sudden it's stuck. Other advice here said to tap it back down with a hammer and try again carefully. No such luck, hammer (with a wood block, of course) doesn't budge it!

What have I done here, and can I fix it? It's really f***in stuck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Looks like I can't edit, but to be clear, I'm perfectly willing to buy a hydraulic press if that's what gets me out of this bind (pun intended), but I don't want to screw it up further!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 05:58 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Hammer it back in with a rubber mallet, it will go. What's happened is you have the bottom bushing slid up and inside the middle bushing as it jammed against the top bushing. NOTE - top bushing is a bear to get out as it is an interference fit, you MUST heat the upper part of the bottom fork leg where that bushing is. You're going to maybe have to get rough with it to get the bushings unjammed, maybe put the fork upside down and hammer on the bottom with a BFH and a block of wood. Not much damage you can do except to the top of the fork tube, but they are nice steel, so don't overworry about it. If you have access to a hydraulic press great, but give it a go again.

This all happens also because the bottom and middle just happened to line up exactly.... next slide hammer attempt maybe try to be off center a little, but you need heat on that fork leg first.. so hot you can't touch it but not 600F that melts aluminum.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Heh, well, it went in, but didn't free up. Went at it with a hammer and wood block, and it started moving easier than before at a certain point, but it is very much not sliding at all. Still impossible to move manually, and the fork is basically fully compressed. f***!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Whew, that was bound fkn SOLID.

So I figured it was either fix this at all costs, or spend $886.35+13% tax (Canadian) on a new fork leg. Put the cap back in for structural support and put the upper tube in my vice (:O I KNOW! BIG NO-NO!). Just the non-swept area, and I'll have to clean up any burrs before it goes into the triple tree. I took the axle and stuck it in the bottom, and twisted -- MOVEMENT! So I put a big piece of threaded rod through the hole instead, and just went to work going back and forth while pulling slightly. It popped out! Of course, NOTHING came with it, and I just took a seal-puller to the seal, and I'll have to figure out the bushings. Check out the mangled inner bushing: https://i.imgur.com/8xP0l9s.jpg It didn't come out with the inner tube, so I inspected for scoring, and I couldn't see any issues.

Now just how do I get that top bushing out....I think I might have a slide hammer somewhere...
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Oh, and now I'm terrified of doing the other one lmao
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Spoke too soon, looks like there's some spiral scoring on the lower tube Not sure if this means I need a new lower or what....
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 08:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

pics of the scoring please..... The upper bushing can be removed by driving in a sharpened putty knife (at one side of the split in the bushing) and get another pry tool to pry it in so the part you pry is in past the split.... now bend the bushing part in more and you can pull it out.
Your other two bushings should be near enough to get them both out now as they are smaller.... do not push them back down in, you don't want the middle bushing to spring into its seating area.
2GENAE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 09:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Had the same thing happen when I did my 2014 A fork legs. jammed the bushings. I put the axle back in the fork and twisted and tapped (banged) the slider back in fork. I wound up replacing the slider because it had a nick in it from a rock hit. Did not damage it when removing it from the fork leg.

Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 Versys 300X(Little Gray Bike) 19 Versys 1000LT SE (Flying Nun) 13 Vstrom 650(Wee III)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Scoring: https://i.imgur.com/GhL4hnQ.jpg
Other side of the fork, for reference: https://i.imgur.com/qG4KClB.jpg

It doesn't seem like it'd necessarily prevent smooth operation, but it's no longer a mirror finish (which I'm not sure if that's ground in at the factory or if that's just from many thousand kilometers...)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page