OEM Brake Pads - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 08:14 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Russ, I intended that for the general masses..... most don't research that kind of thing like you and I might, and some stuff is hard to find.... default to the specific product for the application in that case.
You might remember back in the earlier days of FJR life, there were many who posted get the Mobil 1 synthetic red stuff, it's the best. I've had this 1 lb. can partly used around for several years.... it's temperature range is -40-302F and is hardly suitable as brake temperatures can get hotter than that. So, safer to tell everybody to use the silicone brake grease if you see what I mean.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 10:01 PM
Farkle Trainee

You are both right, It seems they are both good for up to (only) 500 deg F

Waterproof Green Grease is a professional grade, high performance synthetic polymer grease developed for mining, manufacturing, marine and off-road applications. Recommended for cars, trucks, boats, trailers, ATV's, motorcycles, mowers, farm equipment and implements - any application up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

VS

Yamaha Brake caliper grease ACC-SLCNG-RS-00. Synthetic silicone grease can be used for brake caliper lubrication, electrical insulation (dielectric), damping, and lubrication of brass components and O-rings. Withstands temperatures to 500įF. Product should be used where Grease S is specified in the service manual.

P.S. During normal street use, brake rotors and pads normally won't see temperatures climb past 200 degrees Celsius, or 392 degrees Fahrenheit. However, track days are a different story, with temperatures potentially reaching 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit as the brakes are called upon more often and more aggressively. For track days recommended Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme The 100% synthetic formula of Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme (appx. $13) contains ceramic solids in its mixture, drastically increasing its maximum operating temperature to 3,000˚F.

"If FJR doesn't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 ES the BEST (and most reliable) sport touring bike currently available
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 12:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I like https://www.schaefferoil.com/ultra-red-grease.html and https://www.schaefferoil.com/ployurea-grease.html. The second one has a "drop temperature" of 525*F.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 07:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I’ll add that the topic of brake grease is a “hot” one��, having worked in engineering at one of the major brake suppliers for nearly 30yrs the brake grease thing is a tuff nut to crack. We had all kinds of samples from grease suppliers vieing to be “the” supplier.

There is no magic grease that does it all, it just doesn’t exist, the main thing is to clean and LIGHTLY grease the moving parts but every grease I seen used/tested would eventually wash out or just evaporate with time, it’s a really tuff job. I’ll add that imho probably/maybe the best grease I ever seen used is this stuff they called “smurf” grease because it is the same blue as a smurf but it wasn’t the end all grease either.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the name or maker of it, I did get a couple of small sample cups of it which will probably/maybe last me until I’m no longer here. I’ve never seen it for sale any where. But again I’ll say that it’s most important that that you clean & lightly lube the sliding parts at regular intervals.

I have used anti-seize (both types) as well which will make the engineers that were responsible for this kind of thing just cringe as they’ll just scream not to use that but again careful lightly lubing things has worked well for me. My .02

One last thing I’ll add is that after Phil’s statements about using oiled up used Brake pads is just don’t do that, it’s dangerous for causing reduced braking to premature lockup. Also avoid touching the pad material with your hands as the oil from you skin will have negative effects, I always spray my pads off with brake clean prior to final install to get any potential contaminants off, it all affects the pad life and performance.

Brake pads,,, it used to be and generally is on a car that you’ll use 2 front sets to 1 rear set Because automotive is usually 70-75% front braking, but that’s pretty general. A bike is different since the front & rear systems are generally separate. Myself I generally wear the rears out at a 2-1 rate to the front as for normal light braking I find myself only using the rears, purely subconsciously. Heavier braking, I lean more on the fronts, just my habit. But keep in mind usually there is only 1/2 the area of pad material at the rears due to only I set of pads vs 2 on the fronts and the designers use the 70-75% braking front with 25-30% rear for setup. I’m going back to sleep now!
Bill Lumberg and N4HHE like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 06-27-2020 at 08:08 AM.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 08:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I donít mind using OEM pad, and, in fact, thatís whatís on the bike right now. But I find EBC HH to last longer, brake at least as well, and they donít produce any discernible wear to the rotors. At least not over my ownership. I use whichever is more readily available, but prefer the EBC.
passx and 2GENAE like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 04:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My OE rear lasted 40,000, EBC 20,000.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 05:25 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
My rear pads always wear out 3 to 5 times faster than front pads. I always use OEM pads, they brake better, last longer, don't carve huge grooves in the brake discs, and don't squeal. They're also better made, in the past I have had after market pads that were too thick, or the metal backing plate was so roughly made that they jammed in the caliper, and I had to file the excess metal off.

Did I read that right> you are going through REAR pads 3 times faster than FRONT pad?
The front does 70-80% o braking ( or 100% when you dont touch the rear)
Do you have dragging Rear Calipers? Or are you for some reason NOT lying the front brakes rd enough?

I just came back from a trip around MT Rainier and doubt I hit the rear brake 10 times
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 05:27 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It does what you tell it to do. If you use the rear brake a lot for tight maneuvers, or on gravel or dirt, itís going to wear faster than the front.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 06:58 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way8lifter View Post
Did I read that right> you are going through REAR pads 3 times faster than FRONT pad?
The front does 70-80% o braking ( or 100% when you dont touch the rear)
Do you have dragging Rear Calipers? Or are you for some reason NOT lying the front brakes rd enough?

I just came back from a trip around MT Rainier and doubt I hit the rear brake 10 times
Don't forget that the brakes are linked. If you don't touch the back brake, then you will only get 75% of the power of the front brakes. To get full power from the front brakes, you must also operate the rear brakes to bring in the forth piston at the front.

And of course, if you are riding gently, as in traffic, then the back in conjunction with the linked front brake, gives you adequate braking power.

And no, my brakes are not dragging, I maintain them often.
Bill Lumberg and passx like this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 08:16 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Don't forget that the brakes are linked. If you don't touch the back brake, then you will only get 75% of the power of the front brakes. To get full power from the front brakes, you must also operate the rear brakes to bring in the forth piston at the front.

And of course, if you are riding gently, as in traffic, then the back in conjunction with the linked front brake, gives you adequate braking power.

And no, my brakes are not dragging, I maintain them often.
Yes I do realize they are linked .. But right now I am wait for some pads in the mail ( got the bike a week ago ) ..but unless I feel extra motivated many times I just use the rears on my bikes ..But I do think at parking lot speed you are MUCH less likely to dump the bike if you use the rear vs the front ..creates a smoother stop and if you hit a rock or sand or other debris the front wont drop out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page