OEM Brake Pads - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 09:38 AM
FJR Top Gun

I am at 29,000 mine on mine. Had them examined at 23,00 when I had tires replaced and mechanic said there was a lot left. Will have them examined again at 30,000 when I am having the brake and clutch fluid changed, spark plugs, air cleaner etc.
ice_station_zebra likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 09:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

We're all going to have differing mileages on brake pads, very simply a heavy brake user will wear them out faster.... but when it comes time to replace I'd recommend a thorough cleaning of the pistons and other parts with brake dust accumulation.
To extend the pistons safely, remove caliper and leave the brake pads in place, squeeze your lever or pedal to push the pads together (no rotor) and the pistons will expose themselves, remove pads, clean with brake fluid and a toothbrush, once happy your caliper is clean, rinse everything with isopopanol to get rid of oily residues. Slip the pads back in and pry the pistons back, if this is the time for new pads, you'll need the pistons fully back.
I wouldn't use brake cleaner, as harsh solvents can harden the seals, not a big deal, but again, rinse with isopropanol if you do that.
If not done before, clean and re-grease the slides with hi-temp silicone brake grease and clean off any excess that may be on the rubber boot. I just clean the pad pins and leave them dry, theory being I don't like to attract brake dust. Some grease them, not wrong, just at tire change time, maybe take them out, clean them again... you want the sliding parts to all move freely as the caliper floats to keep it centered on the rotors.
If you feel any pulsing, might not be sliding freely, but also the rotor rivets may be crudded up a bit keeping them from floating as well... insert a dowel or other tool, rotate them to loosen up any accumulated crud, brake cleaner as a "pressure wash" if you like. If you can take the rotor and rotate it a bit forward and back, then your rivets are floating.... some may notice a "click" for a bit while riding and applying the brakes, all normal, that will die off as crud again starts to build.
All of this will help your pads wear as evenly as they can. That said, some find one pad in a pair may wear a little faster than the other, just means the caliper wasn't floating evenly, and I suspect from my experience there is a bit of a design thing involved as well, so don't sweat it too much if it's minor in wear difference.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 09:29 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Phil, just sayin here but using oiled up brake pads is a really bad idea, once they’ve been exposed to fork oil for a little while you cannot get it out of the pad no matter how much brake clean you use. The oil WILL glaze up on the pads & rotors and when you really need to stop the braking power will be very reduced, adding the heat from a hard stop will only make it worse........ being cheap is fine but how much do you value your life ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
We're all going to have differing mileages on brake pads, very simply a heavy brake user will wear them out faster.... but when it comes time to replace I'd recommend a thorough cleaning of the pistons and other parts with brake dust accumulation.
To extend the pistons safely, remove caliper and leave the brake pads in place, squeeze your lever or pedal to push the pads together (no rotor) and the pistons will expose themselves, remove pads, clean with brake fluid and a toothbrush, once happy your caliper is clean, rinse everything with isopopanol to get rid of oily residues. Slip the pads back in and pry the pistons back, if this is the time for new pads, you'll need the pistons fully back.
I wouldn't use brake cleaner, as harsh solvents can harden the seals, not a big deal, but again, rinse with isopropanol if you do that..........
All of this will help your pads wear as evenly as they can. That said, some find one pad in a pair may wear a little faster than the other, just means the caliper wasn't floating evenly, and I suspect from my experience there is a bit of a design thing involved as well, so don't sweat it too much if it's minor in wear difference.
Great info! I printed this post out and stuck in my shop manual for when I finally get around to servicing my brakes!

2008 FJR, 2012 Versys 650
HD Ultra Classic
BMW K1200RS
HD DynaGlide
HD Sportster
Honda CB750K
Yamaha 650
Honda CB450
Honda 175
etc
etc
Vespa 50cc
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 10:30 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

To get by in a pinch (say fork oil leak on the road), spray/wipe with brake cleaner or isopropanol, or better yet, get the pads out and soak them... but for 100% good braking, get some new pads.
2GENAE likes this.

Ray
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 06:27 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Yamaha does make a special brake pin grease which I use very lightly whenever servicing my brakes. It's pricey though.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 10:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemike View Post
Yamaha does make a special brake pin grease which I use very lightly whenever servicing my brakes. It's pricey though.
I use marine grade wheel bearing grease, just a little. Doesn't wash out easily.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 08:11 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemike View Post
I use marine grade wheel bearing grease, just a little. Doesn't wash out easily.
I do the same thing. I use the green marine grease. It’s a pita just like anti-seize is to use, but that green grease is what I’ve been using on my off-roader Jeep since I started using it in 2003. Stays on and lasts a long time, and I don’t go through universals like I was. My waterline is almost 40” so transmission, axles, usually under water a lot when I go to my local play place.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 12:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

On brake parts, you are better off using high temp silicone brake grease... won't wash off easily at all and won't melt if things get hot.

Ray
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 05:13 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
On brake parts, you are better off using high temp silicone brake grease... won't wash off easily at all and won't melt if things get hot.
I respectfully disagree, I'm not "better off". I've never had a problem with using marine grade waterproof high temperature wheel bearing grease sparingly on any vehicle brake components. It's waterproof- very difficult to wash off. It's high temp wheel bearing grease- stands up to very high temps. Aluminum will melt before this stuff liquefies. And it's extreme pressure- will not squeeze out.

Granted, it's not widely known that superior products like this exist but they are out there. Even plain synthetic high temp, extreme pressure greases are IMHO significantly "better" than the generic purple packaged stuff from an generic auto parts place.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page