post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 03:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

"What do you want for nothing? A rubber biscuit... bow-mow-wow"
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 07:07 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-64 View Post
" It's got cop brakes, cop tires, cop shocks, cop engine... You don't like it?" We all know what happens next! 😀
get yourself some cheep sunglasses and punch it

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

@RaYzerman got a question for you and i figured you would be the best to ask but what is this thing and whats inside of it exactly i haven't been able to find much info about it
Attached Images
File Type: png whatsthis.png (360.1 KB, 13 views)

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 01:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Don't touch that!! It's spring loaded and if you take those bolts out it will jump out at you and all kinds of stuff will fly all over the place....

Kidding... it's the balancer assembly, which IF you do mess with it and have had the engine apart, it MUST be re-installed with strict adherence to the service manual for proper timing with the crankshaft. It is meant to offset imbalances in the crankshaft, and getting it out of time will just mean lots of bad vibrations..... and a bunch of work you have to re-do, like removing the throttle bodies or exhaust to get at it, etc., etc. Fun you want to have on the bench rather than in the bike.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Don't touch that!! It's spring loaded and if you take those bolts out it will jump out at you and all kinds of stuff will fly all over the place....

Kidding... it's the balancer assembly, which IF you do mess with it and have had the engine apart, it MUST be re-installed with strict adherence to the service manual for proper timing with the crankshaft. It is meant to offset imbalances in the crankshaft, and getting it out of time will just mean lots of bad vibrations..... and a bunch of work you have to re-do, like removing the throttle bodies or exhaust to get at it, etc., etc. Fun you want to have on the bench rather than in the bike.
okay a bit of back story so when taking the head off there was one bolt that was stuck and i couldn't get out snapped my socket and everything so took it to my grandad he has been working on engines for years since he was a mechanic back in the days so he drilled the head off and then went a head and blew the metal shavings off doing that i saw a lot of the shavings going right in that pipe going to that balancer so now i'm just trying to get all the shavings out and tbh no clue how to do that other then flushing it but then it'll get all over the engine's insides...

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 04:58 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Take the cover off and vacuum it out...... any other bits will have fallen down past the crankshaft and into your oil pan... with engine on sidestand, drain the oil. If you need to remove the balancer, just know you have to put it back properly.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Take the cover off and vacuum it out...... any other bits will have fallen down past the crankshaft and into your oil pan... with engine on sidestand, drain the oil. If you need to remove the balancer, just know you have to put it back properly.
wait does this mean i can just take the cover off without having to worry about taking the whole case apart?? i couldn't really see that that was possible

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 01:34 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipi111 View Post
hello everyone ive been lurking on the forum for a while now. I bought myself a fjr 2005 ex cop bike that needs some work bought it for 500 and now getting to fixing it.

Lets set the scene. find the fjr on a second hand site here in Belgium and its always been a bike ive enjoyed to look at so i made a low ball offer and went to see in what state it was. so i meet with the guy who's actually the chief of police and we do some talking and i checked out the bike it was obvious that there were some big issues but i still went for it, fast forward a few days and its in my garage and i start to take it apart as it needed some work on the engine but not being sure what exactly is wrong. take out the engine and check the cams they look good no scratching or anything really bad to see so i move on take the head off and thats where the issues started. checking the valves and the exhaust valves are ****** a few are bent. here's my first question what can cause them to bend as far as i know the main thing is that the engine skipped timing right??
after lurking for a while i learn about the CCT that could have had some issues the one i have is a blue dot if that tells you guys some more. some time has passed since i worked on the bike bc winter and other stuff happening anyways im going to start working on it last thing i did was replace the bent valves and polished them up so now it will be putting it all back together, before i do this are there other things i should check up on? the cylinder heads look good and so does the ''cross scratching thing?'' i cant think of the proper name lol.

so im guessing the engine went bad bc of the CCT or maybe a stretched cam chain? if i replace the cct which one should i get? 1MC-12210-00-00 or 5JW-12210-01-00 are they the same whats the difference?

bike has 65k km on it if i remember correctly if you guys need some other info or pics let me know and ill get back to you guys as soon as i can
I have heard that it is fairly inexpensive, and since it's on the end of the crankshaft it's probably not a big deal to change and since you have to "time it" anyway??? Just thinking out loud, I like to spend other peoples money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page