Ivan's ECU flash for Gen2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Ivan's ECU flash for Gen2

Hi guys, I've just completed installation of my ECU after Ivan's ECU flash and I must say the performance of my '10 FJR1300A is greatly improved and that's an understatement. The idle is very smooth with no tendency to surge. This is with the CO settings at 0-0-0-0. Before the flash to get an idle this smooth I had to set all four COs at between +15 and +20 a setting of +7 had very little if any effect. After installing the ECU I let the bike idle until fully warmed up in the shop. The fans turned on two bars lower on the temperature indicator than before.

The weather was perfect today for a test ride so off I went and immediately noticed how easy making a perfectly smooth and quiet shift was. My bike has never shifted this smoothly ever! I have always thought the issue was poor co-ordination between my right hand and left foot but after about a dozen or more perfectly smooth shifts I can say that poor co-ordination wasn't the issue here at all nor was slop in the drivetrain as I thought. I rode about 40 miles or more and was blown away by the average fuel economy which went from 43 mpg to an astounding 50.1 mpg. Never before have I ever got anywhere near that mpg number on this section of road or any other for that matter. My engine has always been very smooth with maybe a touch of vibration at around 4K revs but now I swear I can't feel any vibes at all. I tried a few high speed throttle roll ons in 4th and 5th and WOW!! Yup, there is a difference. She just flat gets underway as in right now.

Long and short is I couldn't honestly be more pleased with how my bike performs after Ivan's work and I absolutely take back any negative remarks I made in another thread. Ivan is absolutely not selling snake oil here. I think it was money well spent and I would recommend Ivan's ECU flash to anyone that really wants to unlock the full performance potential of their generation2 FJR.

Crow never tasted soooooo good.
maximrebel, passx, FjrjrF and 5 others like this.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape

Last edited by JamesW; 03-20-2020 at 10:18 AM. Reason: punctuation error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 08:45 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Wow, I didn't expect the improvement would be so dramatic.... good news for the Gen2 crowd for sure.
skippy344! likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 09:09 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
It sounds like your Gen2 is now a Gen2+I(van)
skippy344! and JamesW like this.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Wow, I didn't expect the improvement would be so dramatic.... good news for the Gen2 crowd for sure.
Hi Ray, Truth is I didn't expect the improvements I got either. I thought I might see a small improvement here or there but nothing like I got. The shifting is absolutely quiet, positive and very smooth. It's every bit as smooth as the best bike I ever owned for shifting that being a '79 Suzuki GS1000E. The power delivery is another surprise as well. Give her the throttle in 5th and she pulls hard right now from any starting speed. It wasn't bad before but the difference is noticeable. I can't believe the fuel economy either. I mean 50 mpg on a 640 pound 4 cylinder street bike rolling along at 65 to 70 with outside air temp at 48F ?? Oh, and ever since I bought the bike I've played with those CO settings trying to get a smoother idle. I found some older threads that discussed a CO setting of +7 as being as far as you should have to go but +7 didn't do much that I could see but +15 seemed to help but here I am back where I started at 0+0+0+0 and she idles perfectly smooth.
RaYzerman, Boyitgobob and passx like this.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape

Last edited by JamesW; 03-19-2020 at 09:38 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 08:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Dammit James,,,, I’ve been riding the fence pretty hard, I think you’re going to cost me $$$$

Thanks, I think ��

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 09:59 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Dammit James,,,, Iíve been riding the fence pretty hard, I think youíre going to cost me $$$$

Thanks, I think ��
But JamesW is talking about the new Gen2 flash, you have a Gen3, and that flash has been around for awhile and has many more upgrades like your lower cruise control limit. I go through some towns where it is a strict 25 mph. The 30 or 35 use to be the lower limit, now that limit is gone! That feature alone is well worth the price of 1 speeding ticket. Judges are usually unforgiving when dealing with 25 mph speeders. Get the flash, you'll never look back (for LEOs) Ha!
COGnosticator likes this.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I talked at length to Ivan yesterday and asked him if the flash for the gen3 bikes is as effective as for a gen2 bike because of the increased sophistication of the gen3 ECU and without hesitation he said "Yes" he said the flash for the gen3 would absolutely make the gen3 purr. I believe him. This is not to detract from the gen2 flash in any way and I couldn't be more satisfied with my results.

Before the flash my BMW shifted smoother than my FJR and now this is no longer true. I did some searching on my favorite BMW forum and discovered an old thread from 2012 which talked about the 2004 oilhead ECU and engine cut out when the throttle is rolled off while shifting so it seems the bikes from Japan aren't the only ones that suffer from this intended fuel saving debacle. I even took part in this thread from 2012 and vaguely recall it. I talked to Ivan about maybe developing a tune up flash for the BMW but he's not going there and I don't blame him. I honestly just love the way my FJR shifts now and I just can't believe how smooth the bike now performs and that 16% fuel economy increase is just unbelievable. Going for another ride today as soon as it warms up a bit more, brrrrrrrr.
FjrjrF likes this.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 11:07 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Pretty much all FI bikes have a fuel cut at zero throttle, some managed to smooth it out, Yamaha got better at it starting in '08.
Now... Steve has one of those red bikes, even a change to cruise limits won't help them red ones go any darn faster....... but the flash will.
James, question, cold idle speed.... Gen3 starts out around 2000 rpm then drops to normal after a slightly longer warmup period (because with the flash, it's running a touch cooler at warmup)..... whatcha seein'?

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Hi Ray, On cold start my bike starts and runs much like it did before the flash during warm up. I'll pay close attention today and see if I can detect any difference.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 02:37 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Well, me likey!

Where is that computer?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page