Ivan's ECU flash for Gen2 - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 03:16 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Under your seat tray........
James, Gen3 is ECU controlled idle... yours is physical hard stop and has the wax motor..... you're right, should be normal..... I'll go back to sleep now....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Under your seat tray........
James, Gen3 is ECU controlled idle... yours is physical hard stop and has the wax motor..... you're right, should be normal..... I'll go back to sleep now....
Oh, I get you...you could have fooled me all I really know much about is my gen2. Ivan speaks very highly about the gen3 especially the bikes with the 6 speed transmission. He says the 6 speed shifts with or without the ECU flash smoother than a gen2. Sometimes I think I should find a new gen3 and test ride it but good luck finding one at a dealer anywhere near my location.

I talked to Ivan today and he asked if I still had the O2 sensor connected and I did. He said he test rode his '09 bike with and without the O2 sensor and couldn't tell any difference after the flash so this afternoon I disconnected it and I agree I can't tell any difference at all which most likely I wouldn't because his program zeros out the O2 control software anyway. I'm just really sold on Ivan's ECU flash. Best money I've spent on my FeeJer. Ivan also suggested that I could maybe eliminate the engine cut off on my BMW if the clutch has a switch which by jingo it does so I'm going to take her out tomorrow and see if it shifts smoother. I just can't get over how my FJR runs and shifts now. I've learned much from Ivan.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape

Last edited by JamesW; 03-20-2020 at 07:18 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Here's my theory about leaving the O2 sensor connected after the flash. Long and short is don't do it. I think that after the flash if you leave the O2 sensor connected the ECU will still detect the presence of the O2 sensor and when all operating conditions are met such as engine operating temperature the ECU will go into closed loop but Ivan has zeroed out the O2 sensor data points within the ECU so when the ECU goes closed loop it enters into a state that is bogus which will adversely effect operation and might even be detrimental to the motor. So, disconnect the O2 sensor and the bike will not ever go closed loop but remain in open loop and obtain fueling and advance curve operating parameters based on Ivan's custom tuning which is exactly what you want. I also think that you should leave all CO settings at zero as instructed by Ivan. If you change the CO settings to +7, for example, I think you will richen the mixture by 0.5:1 AFR across the entire operating range because the bike never sees closed loop with the O2 sensor disconnected. With the O2 sensor connected the bike will not perform as it should without a load on the motor. For example if you warm up the bike then, with the trans in neutral producing no load on the motor, you open the throttle and try to hold the motor at any RPM above idle the motor will surge badly and even produce backfire. Just not a good thing and not good for the health of the motor. I suspect this produces an extremely lean operating condition so just remember to disconnect that O2 sensor after Ivan's flash and all will be good.

Well, this is my theory and I'm sticking to it! Am I still appreciative of Ivan's flash you may ask. YES, absolutely.
Kelvin likes this.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape

Last edited by JamesW; 05-30-2020 at 01:51 PM.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I've lived with Ivan's ECU flash now for some months and I'm liking it more than ever. Shortly after the flash I decided to turn the CO settings up a bit (+10) because I thought it was lean at idle and low revs. Finally I got the big picture as in it is best to leave all 4 COs at zero (0) as per ivan's instructions as well as leave the 02 sensor disconnected.

I don't know exactly why but with the COs at zero the low end torque is just awesome and very smooth in power delivery. When I ride I don't shift by the tach I mostly shift by how the bike sounds and feels. After returning the CO settings to zero just for the heck of it I'm out riding and I'm going through a small town at 30 or 35 mph when it occurs to me I'm in 5th gear but the bike is absolutely running smooth, VERY smooth. So I don't bother down shifting. Then I hit the 55mph speed limit sign and I just roll up the throttle and the bike just smoothly accelerates. I don't understand what this has to do with the CO settings but once again Ivan is correct. Would I get the flash again? In a heart beat.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 04:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
It sounds like your Gen2 is now a Gen2+I(van)
Good one, Jim!!

'06 FJR1300A - Orion the Hunter

Greg

Old Corral

1977 Yamaha YZ-80 - Dirty Girl
1978 Yamaha YZ-125 - Dirt in the Shirt
1976 Yamaha XS500 - Old Blue
1980 Yamaha XS850SG - Twisted Triple or "TT"
1980 Yamaha XS11SG - Scorpion
1998 Kawasaki Voyager XII - Kermit

Family Member bikes
1982 Yamaha XJ650J - Whole Lotta Rosie
1982 Yamaha Virago 750 - "V"
2007 Honda CBR600RR - Holy S&!T
2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S - Tiny Spock
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 04:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Dammit James,,,, Iíve been riding the fence pretty hard, I think youíre going to cost me $$$$

Thanks, I think ��
Me too, Steve, me too...

'06 FJR1300A - Orion the Hunter

Greg

Old Corral

1977 Yamaha YZ-80 - Dirty Girl
1978 Yamaha YZ-125 - Dirt in the Shirt
1976 Yamaha XS500 - Old Blue
1980 Yamaha XS850SG - Twisted Triple or "TT"
1980 Yamaha XS11SG - Scorpion
1998 Kawasaki Voyager XII - Kermit

Family Member bikes
1982 Yamaha XJ650J - Whole Lotta Rosie
1982 Yamaha Virago 750 - "V"
2007 Honda CBR600RR - Holy S&!T
2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S - Tiny Spock
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 05:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy344! View Post
Me too, Steve, me too...
Me three, Skippy, me too...
skippy344! likes this.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 10:06 PM
Training wheels fitted!

James, glad you like the flash. Mine the donnor bike for the GenII. Ivan has originally suggested to leave the O2 sensor connected, so I did. After reading your post I think I will disconnect it.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 07:54 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Sounds like good stuff. I'm guessing the results are more impressive (power wise anyhow) if you have improved the air / exhaust flow... any recommended mods there?

'09 FJR1300, '85FJ1100, '80XJ SECA (heavily modified)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkofjr View Post
James, glad you like the flash. Mine the donnor bike for the GenII. Ivan has originally suggested to leave the O2 sensor connected, so I did. After reading your post I think I will disconnect it.
I'm very interested in your findings with the O2 sensor disconnected. To be more specific with the O2 sensor connected on my bike it seemed like when decelerating the engine would begin hunting. I think the ECU was rapidly alternating between open and closed loop. This condition is completely gone with the O2 sensor disconnected. In other words the bike would begin surging. Kind of reminded me of my BMW before I installed a wide band O2 sensor which richened the mixture from 14.7 AFR to whatever I program into the wide band interface adaptor LC-2. The bike runs beautifully with an AFR of 13.4. I tried an Innovate Motor Sports wide band O2 sensor with LC-2 adaptor on the FJR with not good results. Still not sure 100% as to why. It might have been due to the way other sensor inputs are configured in relation to the ECU inputs. All good now after Ivan's flash so now all I do is ride. Done trying to reinvent the wheel with my amateurish experiments. lol..lol.. Ivan, he da man.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page