2005 FJR1300A ABS Light permanently on - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

2005 FJR1300A ABS Light permanently on

Hi All,

My 2005 ABS model has the ABS light permanently on. I've removed both wheels and cleaned inside the ABS sensor housings (front one was a bit furry with ali corrosion) but I cannot remove the front ABS sensor. I'm guessing it's corroded and crushed itself. I've managed to loosen it to a point where I can use a drift and knock it from side to side but that's as far as I can get it.

Any tips?

2004 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 11:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Be very patient... give it some penetrating fluid, let sit and wiggle it back and forth. If you twist it too much the plastic insulator sleeve around the sensor may break... not likely crushed at all, just corroded... you ain't the first one....... it will be great after you get it out and all cleaned/greased up with silicone grease on the plastic sleeve and housing hole.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks, soaking with ATF/Acetone as we speak.

2004 FJR1300A

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Not doing so well, I just cannot get the sensor out from fear of breaking it. Is it just a plastic insulator on it? Can I get a set of pliers on it without damaging it to persuade it to let go?

Just as an aside, I thought I was check what error codes this is throwing up but I can't get any. I've jumped the sky blue and ground and ignition off or on makes no difference, no faults have been seen and the ABS light has stayed fully illuminated.

I also cannot conduct an ABS test.

Thoughts?

2004 FJR1300A
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by widu13 View Post
Not doing so well, I just cannot get the sensor out from fear of breaking it. Is it just a plastic insulator on it? Can I get a set of pliers on it without damaging it to persuade it to let go?

Just as an aside, I thought I would check what error codes this is throwing up but I can't get any. I've jumped the sky blue and ground and ignition off or on makes no difference, no faults have been seen and the ABS light has stayed fully illuminated.

Thoughts?

TTT

Just checking if anyone has a solution for the test socket not responding?

2004 FJR1300A
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 08:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The only other suggestions I have is try to tap it out from the inside, or intentionally twist it out from the outside and get a new one, or put more penetrating fluid in from the inside. Not sure acetone is a good idea for plastic, but maybe there's a better penetrant you can get commercially.

Ray
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks, just wondered if I was missing a trick. Looks like a set of pliers and possibly a new sensors.

BTW have a look on youtube; a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone mix is commonly reported to outperform all commercial penetrants. From my own experience this seems correct (just that it isn't working in this case!).

Any thoughts on the inability to make the test socket / ABS diagnostic function?

2004 FJR1300A
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 08:55 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

First thing to check is the fuses... you'll have to check the 2005 Owner's Manual for location as there will be on Gen1 an ABS control fuse 7.5A and an ABS motor fuse likely 30A. If one of those is blown or corroded, ABS may not be functioning... but they will have to be good to run the test, as well as a fully charged battery.
If the fuses are good and the test won't run (I assume you are following the instructions with my test harness) then there are deeper issues with the ABS pump... keep an ear for noises at the pump (i.e., it makes some), and if it blows fuses.
I would think the test will run regardless of your sensor issue. With test harness switch turned on or if using a shorting method, put hand on lever and foot on pedal, then turn on the ignition.... should cycle both front and rear if all is normal.
2GENAE and widu13 like this.

Ray
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 03:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by widu13 View Post

Just as an aside, I thought I was check what error codes this is throwing up but I can't get any. I've jumped the sky blue and ground and ignition off or on makes no difference, no faults have been seen and the ABS light has stayed fully illuminated.

Thoughts?
On my bike it is not "sky blue". See picture below, note pin orientation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (98.8 KB, 11 views)

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Pretty sure that was the same orientation on the pins. Can you remember the colours you have?

2004 FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page