3Likes
  • 1 Post By sector7g
  • 2 Post By RaYzerman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

ABS light flashing Randomly

Hi guys

Anyone had their ABS light (gen 3) flashing randomly. Mine has just started and it's beginning to annoy the crap out of me. I have checked and cleaned the sensors on each wheel and lubed the foot brake but to no avail.

Any thoughts??

Regards
Gazza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 04:11 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Hi, as my bike is still stored away for the winter I haven't been looking into this yet, but will soon. Anyhow I raised this recently, you might find that thread interesting or helpful.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-f...ml#post1237927

/rogerf

Roger
2016 FJR AE (ES)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 05:43 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Mine has done it on the 2018. Cleaned the abs sensors and a bunch of other stuff with no effect. Not a lever or switch issue. Abs always works fine. Haven’t had the light blinking in a while, but it’ll be back eventually. When it started, it only happened when the bike was hot. There’s a faulty connector somewhere I think. Maybe I’m a liar and mine will never come back. But I think it will.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 02-24-2020 at 08:16 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 07:15 AM
Farkle Trainee

Clean the rear brake pedal and switch. Most of the time, that takes care of it. 15 minute job with brake cleaner.
OhLuckyMan likes this.

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 07:29 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If you could access the diagnostics and tell us what the codes are that would be helpful. What year is your bike?

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 09:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Probably a bad switch or relay, I went through all the suggestions of cleaning the sensors (the rear was really bad !) and cleaning/lubing the pedal itself (worked but very dry & sluggish) and all this helped the frequency a small amount but did not fix it. All worthwhile maintenance though in my opinion.

I was still under my YES warranty (great deal!) so I took it to the dealer for repair where they did diagnostics on it and found a bad front switch along with a marginal rear so they replaced both sets of switch’s & relays with no recurrence of the flashing abs light since. The weather resistance of the switch’s is poor at best so if your bike like mine has been in a number of heavy rain storms it’s a good chance the switch’s are dirty or fouled. You may be able to just clean them, maybe.

So with all that said, it boils down to what Ray suggested above to get into the diagnostics and see what it’s telling you. But I’d bet it’s a bad switch. My .02

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 02-25-2020 at 09:54 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 07:43 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Good day I have a 09 FJR I have never owned a Yamaha fjr and its new to me, I am loving the bike, I have just replaced the brakes all round and have had the system bled. I would like to know if anyone would know does the ABS pulsate when engaging the rear brake or front brake hard,I do not have any lights flashing. When starting the bike the light goes out straight away. At the moment if I hit the brakes hard the bike slows down but I do not feel that shudder or pulsation on peddles or wheels. Can this be a soft ABS braking system.Thanking you guys for any advice.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 08:08 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The ABS system does not engage until one or both wheels lose traction, the sensors detect this differential in speed, then pulses the brakes rapidly to maximize traction... stopping the wheel from skidding. This would be under braking on a slippery surface as one example. This is explained in the Owner's Manual or in more technical detail in the Service Manual.
The ABS light will come on when you first start the bike, but goes out once you get rolling if the system senses it is getting normal signals from the sensors/ABS module.
Bill Lumberg and bwoodee like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page