Shifting issues - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Shifting issues

Did a 170 mile round trip today, mostly cruising highway & backroads. About 40 miles into the ride, I was upshifting but the gears didn't catch repeatedly, from 2nd through 6th gear. At first I attributed it to sloppy shifting technique cuz I've got new boots I'm still breaking in but nope, the issue persisted... until it didn't. It disappeared a few miles later, w/no further issues on the remaining part of this half of the ride.

On the way back it happened again and as before, it was an intermittent issue. Happened at low RPM shifts and high RPM shifts and then it didn't happen again the rest of the ride. Baffling.

My bike is a '16A model w/less than 8k on the odo. I've only owned the bike for about 1k miles and don't ride her hard. Doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping, no grinding in the gears or any other indicator of what's up. Prior owner was an older gent (70's)- I'm pretty sure he didn't abuse it either.

This was the first time I've experienced this w/this bike. Anyone else had this happen?
Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:02 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Three things I would immediately look at......
1. The brass bushing in the clutch lever. If never lubed, can be worn oval or scored... although your bike is relatively young.
2. I would just take the time to lube the shifter linkage including the lever pivot, whether that's a contributor or not.. it likely is.
3. If you haven't ever flushed and bled the clutch fluid, do it now and do it annually... along with your brakes.
Do 1 & 2 and tell is how it is then........ with a little aside, you can adjust the shift lever position should your new boots require it.
Kelvin and dcumpian like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 03:17 AM
FJR Top Gun

I didn't have trouble with shift from 1 to 2 for 40,000 or 50,000 miles wearing Alpinestars boots but have to be extra careful with my new Gaerne.

The Alpinestars had a bit of a heal. The Gaerne has a flat sole raised at the rear.

My FJR is also 2016. Rode a 2014 today for 145 miles and had same problem.

Don't have problems with the higher gears, just getting into 3 when I didn't do 2 correctly.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 03:26 AM
Farkle Trainee

Also , to add to the already sound advice , is to inspect the shift linkage adjuster and insure it is within the proper adjustment range of the stamped indicator marks of the linkage cover. You mentioned new boots , and I can't help but wonder whether you're simply not getting the right amount of travel as before the boots when executing shifts. This adjuster will allow you up and down adjustment to place the shift lever in the optimal position for your foot. Check to insure the two lock nuts of this adjuster rod are snug and not loose first. FWIW I have mine adjusted to the bottom mark of the adjust range. This allows me to not have to rock my foot higher than what is natural for me when upshifting. Everyone has their own sweet spot. Hope this helps in some way and your issue is not something internal.
vzhq16 likes this.

2016 FJR 1300 A. cobalt blue metallic..Delkevic 13" tri ovals,Yamaha comfort seats, Yamaha touring windscreen, Mich PR 4 Gt's.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks for the advice, gents. I'll take a look-see.
Lee
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 01:19 PM
FJR Top Gun

I always thought the FJR transmission a bit clunky and not smooth. It will never be a smooth as the best shifting transmission ever made, The 1991 GSXR 1100
But after 25k miles it is much better. I am convinced the FJR trans needs miles to smooth out.

DO the checks mentioned and if everything is fine you will just need to be more deliberate in your shifting. Its a minor adjustment to technique that with practice will become SOP for you.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Mike-
Clearly, you've never owned a Kawasaki! My FJR is buttery smooth compared to almost any of my Kawi's over the last decade+.
Lee
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 11:24 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectreman View Post
Mike-
Clearly, you've never owned a Kawasaki! My FJR is buttery smooth compared to almost any of my Kawi's over the last decade+.
Lee
I rode a few kawis but never owned one. I have only owned Yammis and suzuki.

The suzuki is renowned as the best shifting trans made.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 06:54 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You guyís have obviously never owned a mid 70ís Honda 750 based gl1000 or 750, talk about clunky ! I donít think itís possible to get 1 ride in w/o missing all kinds of shifts and grinding gears from the first to second shift.

Lee, take some time and clean/lube the lever pivot, mine was bone dry and very sluggish, once I cleaned it and lubed it with some Honda moly lube it just works freely. Also I recommend changing the upper pivot arm to a R1 pivot that is shorter, makes the shifting a bit quicker and makes the foot pedal movement shorter, subtle but definite improvement to me. You just need to try to keep the shift rod as straight as you can.

Also suggest you add your year/model fjr to your signature, itíll make it easier to help diagnosis for your problem(s), prolly will make little difference on this shifting issue but there are differences year-year. Let us know how it goes.
vzhq16 likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 08:03 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Three things I would immediately look at......
1. The brass bushing in the clutch lever. If never lubed, can be worn oval or scored... although your bike is relatively young.
2. I would just take the time to lube the shifter linkage including the lever pivot, whether that's a contributor or not.. it likely is.
3. If you haven't ever flushed and bled the clutch fluid, do it now and do it annually... along with your brakes.
Do 1 & 2 and tell is how it is then........ with a little aside, you can adjust the shift lever position should your new boots require it.
I've got 83,000 on my '13 model and recently had to replace the shift lever because of a poorly placed tire carcass.

I was amazed at how much smoother the new linkage is. I had pulled the old linkage and lubed it, but maybe once in 6 years isn't enough.
wheaton and vzhq16 like this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page