4000 rpm buzz - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
4000 rpm buzz

I’m sure this has been hit on before but I want to chime in.

I now have a gen3/2013 and I’m noticing a buzz around 4000 rpms, not in the handle bars but mostly towards the rear of the bike.

My gen1 had no buzz what so ever so just curious. Going to check it over this weekend.

Discuss...

Also,I just sold my 2004 with 255,000 miles on it. The new owner has joined the group but I’m not sure what his handle is yet. I’m gonna miss that bike but it’s going to a great guy. Here’s to many more miles.

2004 FJR1300A
2013 FJR 1300A
I ride bikes cause four wheels are much harder to lean🤪

Last edited by Rustedpalm; 02-04-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 11:19 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

4000 rpm buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedpalm View Post
Iím sure this has been hit on before but I want to chime in. I now have a gen3/2013 and Iím noticing a buzz around 4000 rpms, not in the handle bars but mostly towards the rear of the bike. My gen1 had no buzz what so ever so just curious. Going to check it over this weekend.
Rustedpalm,

For the rear, I'd check the torque values of the engine mount bolts, and the exhaust system mount bolts. Got any auxiliary rack or bag guards (fall bars) back there? Check for loose bolts or cracks in the metal.
Little Joe and dcumpian like this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Well, Iíve gone over it checking all nuts and bolts and nothing seems out of the ordinary. I suppose it just has a buzz.

Funny that it is definitely towards the rear of the bike.

2004 FJR1300A
2013 FJR 1300A

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 10:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedpalm View Post
Iím sure this has been hit on before but I want to chime in.

I now have a gen3/2013 and Iím noticing a buzz around 4000 rpms, not in the handle bars but mostly towards the rear of the bike.

My gen1 had no buzz what so ever so just curious. Going to check it over this weekend.

Discuss...

Also,I just sold my 2004 with 255,000 miles on it. The new owner has joined the group but Iím not sure what his handle is yet. Iím gonna miss that bike but itís going to a great guy. Hereís to many more miles.
Wow, someone bought a bike with 255,000 miles on it? I'm stunned.

As for the Gen 3 buzz, I have a 2018A and the only place I feel a buzz is in the right heel plate when my boot touches it.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 08:49 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

They ALL have to some degree but as youíve found how it comes out and where is different bike to bike. Variations in the material due to thickness or density or both as well as slight variations in torque all affect where and how itíll appear. My 2014a has the buzz in the RHfoot peg and bar grip but at some points of the 3500-4500 buzz range will alternate to the left grip some. Mine was originally amplified by the LH muffler mount that was very reduced once things were tightened to spec.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 10:10 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I also experienced a seat buzz from an over tightened exhaust clamp on that connects the left side muffler to the exhaust header pipe. This was my fault as I didn’t torque to properly when I reinstalled the muffler after some maintenance that was performed. The handlebar buzz that I had was cured with a TBS sync. Good luck.

2015 FJR1300A
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My 2014 had no noticeable vibes. Then it went in for warranty repair and got a whole new throttle body assembly.

The new one produced bar buzz. All of a sudden o knew what others had been talking about. Sync didn’t change a thing. It was just part of that assembly.

My 18 is pretty smooth, but it also runs lower rpm’s at highway speed due to the extra gear. So it’s quite smooth and vibe free at speed.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I feel like it could possibly be connected to the exhaust somehow. Nothing sounds loose but the vibration is worse in that area.

2004 FJR1300A
2013 FJR 1300A
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 08:09 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Recently discussed here also.....
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/31-...australia.html

If you suspect it is exhaust, then loosen the mid-pipe clamp and the rear mount, retighten the rear mount, then tighten the clamp.... this may relieve any built-in stress and let the system relax to its natural state.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 09:47 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I've read about this buzzing and made a note to watch for it on my 07. Yes, I can say there is a buzz, but also owning a '81 850 MS triple, I can say its nothing compared to that. My biggest gripe is the clutch pull. My left hand really hurts after a few hours. I expect that to improve as my muscles get used to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in