Conventional wisdom on tires with plugs? - Page 6 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 09:09 AM
Farkle Trainee

I just picked up a Drywall Screw in my rear tire. I only had 450 miles on the tire! Luckily I had my tire plug kit on me. I plugged it and made it home. Here is my plan. I'm replacing the plugged tire with a new one. I'm going to have the plugged tire professionally repaired and keep it as a spare...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 11:22 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-64 View Post
I just picked up a Drywall Screw in my rear tire. I only had 450 miles on the tire! Luckily I had my tire plug kit on me. I plugged it and made it home. Here is my plan. I'm replacing the plugged tire with a new one. I'm going to have the plugged tire professionally repaired and keep it as a spare...
Why not just have it professionally plugged and use it? If you are saving it, you must plan on using it sometime?

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 02:44 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Why not just have it professionally plugged and use it? If you are saving it, you must plan on using it sometime?
I was wondering the same thing- why not just patch and ride on?
the Ferret likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 04:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

Nah, I have a set of Michelin's ordered. I was never a fan of the Bridgestone tire anyway. I'll keep them around, a friend might need a tire, or I'll use them if I need a tire to get me through the last month of riding season. Something like that. With the Michelin's I know what I have.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 04:58 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

What I do: Install TPMS and ride the plugged tire.

If the plug fails then the tire slowly deflates just like any other punctured tire. TPMS warns me before things get squirrelly.

Either way you really really want metal valve stems. Right angle better that straight up. P.I.T.A. to reach valve in the factory location. $8/pair search for B01LW69XFK at Amazon.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 05:21 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-64 View Post
Nah, I have a set of Michelin's ordered. I was never a fan of the Bridgestone tire anyway. I'll keep them around, a friend might need a tire, or I'll use them if I need a tire to get me through the last month of riding season. Something like that. With the Michelin's I know what I have.
Oh, c'mon now . We all know what's gonna happen here, we all do it. You're gonna get the tire fixed and set it aside. 3 or 4 yrs from now you're gonna be wondering why you ever kept the darned thing and why you just didn't ride on it when you got it fixed. Then you're gonna post up "I got this tire fixed umpteen yrs ago, do you think it's still safe to ride on?"
Little Joe and N4HHE like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 08:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Agree with you, Russ.... ride it til it's done. But if it's the original OEM BT-023, completely understood why they aren't the best liked tire.... I was always hoping they're wear out fast so I could get something else.
Little Joe and the Ferret like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page