Ivans ECU Flash for GenII - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thumbs up Ivans ECU Flash for GenII

I volunteered my 08 for Ivan to use as the test bed for the GenII ECU flash. It should be done in a couple 2-3 weeks. He has had it since Thanksgiving. Will take a ride and let everyone know what I think. Stay tuned..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 11:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

That's awesome so I'm guessing you get it for free? Too bad he can't add cruise control, he'd be a very rich man.
bounce likes this.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 09:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

He could earn a whole $200 per bike by installing one of the many after market cc units. Push the price of the hardware to the new owner and tack on the $200 for installation labor. But then you can do that and your labor is free.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 12:12 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

When this flash comes out, and I find the money to do it, it's going to make all my whining about not having any money a butt of jokes. LOL

In my defense, I started "driving for dollars" with DoorDash. It's the first job I have found that I can do everything else I want {volunteer at prison, go for rides when the weather is good, AND sleep in till 9-10AM most mornings} and make a few dollars too.

P. S. If YOU know anyone who wants to start driving for Door Dash, let me know, and I will "sponsor" them and I will split the 300 dollar "finders fee" with them when they qualify.
Bill Lumberg, 2GENAE and Bloodshot like this.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

Last edited by philharmonic; 01-25-2020 at 12:18 PM.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 12:57 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ivan's been wanting a Gen2 for quite a while..... if I still had my '07, I'd be all over it.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 09:15 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Since we’re on the ECU subject, it has been discussed that Ivan raises the “cold” start rpm, what generally is that and can you request a lower/shorter number ? Seems like that was an option if I remember correctly which is questionable these days.

Also he mentions disabling the O2 sensor, is that a mandatory thing, seems it would be advantageous to have it read and adjust the fuel to improve economy and emissions. But Ivan claims improved fuel economy with his reflash, real or sales hype ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 09:24 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Idle speed applied to Gen3 AFAIK, since it is ECU controlled, and a side-effect of slightly advancing the timing.... but ask Ivan....

As for the O2 sensor, when you install a Power Commander on a Gen1/2, you unplug the 02 sensor.... I did not notice any change in fuel economy on a week long trip... didn't put enough miles on it to give you a better answer.

Ray
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 10:07 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
I had just gotten back my gen III ecu from Ivan. I installed it, but haven't ridden it, until spring I wait.... But I did start her, let it idol for 30 seconds, did a couple revs taking her up to 4500 rpms for a second or two, idle came back to 1500. Only ran for, say, 3 min, no way was up to operating temp. Then... I did the FJR NONO! I shut her down, waited 20 seconds and started her again. She started!!! THAT never happened before. Just that alone made me happy I did the flash. Thank you Ivan and this forum for past posts, otherwise I never would have heard of this. Can't wait until I can get out and ride and find all the new nuances in her!!! It'll be like riding a new bike! If only Ivan did a new flash for me brain! LOL
philharmonic likes this.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 12:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
I had just gotten back my gen III ecu from Ivan. I installed it, but haven't ridden it, until spring I wait.... But I did start her, let it idol for 30 seconds, did a couple revs taking her up to 4500 rpms for a second or two, idol came back to 1500. Only ran for, say, 3 min, no way was up to operating temp. Then... I did the FJR NONO! I shut her down, waited 20 seconds and started her again. She started!!! THAT never happened before. Just that alone made me happy I did the flash. Thank you Ivan and this forum for past posts, otherwise I never would have heard of this. Can't wait until I can get out and ride and find all the new nuances in her!!! It'll be like riding a new bike! If only Ivan did a new flash for me brain! LOL
As much as we talk about the NONO, if you let the coolant temp go to at least one bar or moves off "LO" on a Gen3, you should be OK to shut if off without too much risk of the dreaded "flooded engine" scenario. Doesn't have to be a full operating temp at all, just nicely warm (and off fast idle preferably).

Ray
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 04:19 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
One of the reasons I had it flashed by Ivan was not to correct anything, this '14 is fine. I had read nothing but good reviews about this flash, and, according to Ivan's website, it is free to have it reflashed to its original software. Ivan serializes the returned to you ecu. I assume he keeps a copy of your original software and your VIN number. And after speaking to Ivan at length before the flash, it's one of the few things in life I have absolutely no worries about. Just can't wait to take her out for a ride.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page