FJR Owners Forum banner

Ivans ECU Flash for GenII

14K views 50 replies 18 participants last post by  barnstormer 
#1 ·
I volunteered my 08 for Ivan to use as the test bed for the GenII ECU flash. It should be done in a couple 2-3 weeks. He has had it since Thanksgiving. Will take a ride and let everyone know what I think. Stay tuned..

#4 · (Edited)
When this flash comes out, and I find the money to do it, it's going to make all my whining about not having any money a butt of jokes. LOL

In my defense, I started "driving for dollars" with DoorDash. It's the first job I have found that I can do everything else I want {volunteer at prison, go for rides when the weather is good, AND sleep in till 9-10AM most mornings} and make a few dollars too.

P. S. If YOU know anyone who wants to start driving for Door Dash, let me know, and I will "sponsor" them and I will split the 300 dollar "finders fee" with them when they qualify.

#5 ·
Ivan's been wanting a Gen2 for quite a while..... if I still had my '07, I'd be all over it.

#6 ·
Since we’re on the ECU subject, it has been discussed that Ivan raises the “cold” start rpm, what generally is that and can you request a lower/shorter number ? Seems like that was an option if I remember correctly which is questionable these days.

Also he mentions disabling the O2 sensor, is that a mandatory thing, seems it would be advantageous to have it read and adjust the fuel to improve economy and emissions. But Ivan claims improved fuel economy with his reflash, real or sales hype ?

#7 ·
Idle speed applied to Gen3 AFAIK, since it is ECU controlled, and a side-effect of slightly advancing the timing.... but ask Ivan....

As for the O2 sensor, when you install a Power Commander on a Gen1/2, you unplug the 02 sensor.... I did not notice any change in fuel economy on a week long trip... didn't put enough miles on it to give you a better answer.

#8 ·
I had just gotten back my gen III ecu from Ivan. I installed it, but haven't ridden it, until spring I wait.... But I did start her, let it idol for 30 seconds, did a couple revs taking her up to 4500 rpms for a second or two, idle came back to 1500. Only ran for, say, 3 min, no way was up to operating temp. Then... I did the FJR NONO! I shut her down, waited 20 seconds and started her again. She started!!! THAT never happened before. Just that alone made me happy I did the flash. Thank you Ivan and this forum for past posts, otherwise I never would have heard of this. Can't wait until I can get out and ride and find all the new nuances in her!!! It'll be like riding a new bike! If only Ivan did a new flash for me brain! LOL

#9 ·
I had just gotten back my gen III ecu from Ivan. I installed it, but haven't ridden it, until spring I wait.... But I did start her, let it idol for 30 seconds, did a couple revs taking her up to 4500 rpms for a second or two, idol came back to 1500. Only ran for, say, 3 min, no way was up to operating temp. Then... I did the FJR NONO! I shut her down, waited 20 seconds and started her again. She started!!! THAT never happened before. Just that alone made me happy I did the flash. Thank you Ivan and this forum for past posts, otherwise I never would have heard of this. Can't wait until I can get out and ride and find all the new nuances in her!!! It'll be like riding a new bike! If only Ivan did a new flash for me brain! LOL
As much as we talk about the NONO, if you let the coolant temp go to at least one bar or moves off "LO" on a Gen3, you should be OK to shut if off without too much risk of the dreaded "flooded engine" scenario. Doesn't have to be a full operating temp at all, just nicely warm (and off fast idle preferably).

#10 ·
One of the reasons I had it flashed by Ivan was not to correct anything, this '14 is fine. I had read nothing but good reviews about this flash, and, according to Ivan's website, it is free to have it reflashed to its original software. Ivan serializes the returned to you ecu. I assume he keeps a copy of your original software and your VIN number. And after speaking to Ivan at length before the flash, it's one of the few things in life I have absolutely no worries about. Just can't wait to take her out for a ride.

#19 ·
As always thinking with my pocketbook. IF you have the flash and DON'T LIKE IT, sell it to another FJR'er with the same year bike and get his. PLEASE, don't send it back to get it reflashed back to stock.

Reactions: mobilemike
#15 ·
I suspect it is like any vehicle that requires a certain octane rating. It will run on lower rated fuel but performance may suffer. I normally run non-ethanol 90 octane in my 2014 Ivan's flash bike. I'll try 87 when I can and see if I can tell a difference.

Reactions: Bloodshot
#17 ·
89 will likely get you the optimal with the flash, being that he advanced the timing slightly. However, two of us purposely ran 87 for a week-long trip last summer and did not notice any mileage or performance differences on that trip.

Reactions: Bloodshot
#20 ·
Not sure that is possible..... it takes a couple of weeks.... and he has to deal with the immobilizer. Mail it is my suggestion.

Reactions: passx and Madmudder
#22 ·
The AE will be an issue upon cold start-up... idle speed too high and you will have to let it warm up until cold idle drops to normal idle speed. However being an '08 where much of the fueling issues of '06-'07 were addressed, you might be fine as is. If I had an '06-'07, I'd be all over it.

#23 ·
I understand about the higher fast idle as I always wait until the RPM has dropped before I take off. If it's TOO high the the clutch will not engage.

I was curious about the AE models ECU and the YCCS effecting Ivan's flash, as I can write to the EPROM to adjust the clutch RPM engagement RPM. Thinking some day I might try the Yosh/FJR slip on's and read about Ivan's flash= a little more H.P.

After Dan showed me how to take a few turns out the throttle return spring my throttle is easier to turn/smoother (arthritis) and I can feather the RPM more gradually leaving from a stop in traffic or rolling during slow speed maneuvers in stop/go traffic. Ivans flash was not about fueling issues as mine is smooth but thinking about a mellow exhaust tone and little HP increase. Root Beer is not the fastest color LOL

Louis

#24 ·
I think it a little amusing those who chase a horsepower or two (maybe) with slip-ons and tuners.. the bigger benefit is in the improvements to the fueling and smooth delivery of the power throughout the range, not one or two horsepower at peak 7000 rpm on a 145HP motorcycle (2HP = 1.37%). OK on the drag strip, again maybe.
It's your call on whether you get the flash or not, Ivan doesn't touch the ability to program YCCS... but talk to him.

#25 ·
145 at crank not RWHP. Power Commander and Dyno map DOES increase to 5 RWHP. Thanks for info about Ivan's map and my YCCS looked at prices not worth it for me on fixed income now. By the way IIRC you had slip on one of your FJR. Guess you were wanting the Root Beer to be the fastest color :) You do remember you can make a 2006/2007 smooth without a Ivan's flash?

#26 ·
You can help an '06-07 with a Power Commander, G2 throttle tamer (or other fix), adjusting out almost all throttle play, throttle spring unwind.
The slip-ons for Root Beer were purely decorative if you want to know.

Reactions: JSLong and Kelvin
#27 ·
GenII Flash Update!!

Ivan has finished the flash work. I went down to his shop yesterday and took her for a ride. The on/off grabiness and lurching is gone. Throttle is much more responsive and crisp. He went into some significant detail on the changes he made and why (was there for 3+ hours). If you want to know ask the man. I would not attempt to review that here. I did not ride it long or far enough to check mileage, but he assures me it will be better than stock. The ole butt dyno said there is more umph, however due to the area I was riding I did not try do any WOT. I had a Dynojet PC on it before this and this flash is even better. I am sure he will be posting dyno run numbers on his sight shortly. Lastly I believe he will offer an 87 octane flash option for those that want it. He was not ready to let me have her back just yet (needed to due a stock ECU run, take pics and create instructions). So another week till I pick her up and get a longer ride. Bike info: 2008 A, K&N filter, Delkevic 14" round mufflers without the baffles. I may put those back in as he said it get me more on the low end.

#28 ·
I've been reading this thread because I just got an 07 with it's known throttle issues. Yesterday I synced the injectors, raised the idle to 1200, and got rid of the slack in the throttle cable. It's a completely different motorcycle! What a joy it is to drive now. I spent at least three hours driving it today and loved every minute. I did all three at once so I can't say which was more important, but anyone can get rid of the slack in the throttle cable and raise the idle to 1200 without spending a dime. I'd say try those two things first before anything else.

#29 ·
GenII Flash Update

GenII ECU flash: It is done and my bike is home.
http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fjr1300_g2.htm
Throttle is crisp and responsive. Still cold so I have not had a chance to ride it far enough for a decent mileage test. 89 Octane or he also did a flash with standard timing maps for 87. I rode mine bike back to back with both setups and prefer the 89 octane tune.

#30 ·
Kool.. so how do you switch between the two maps? When you get a chance, try 87 octane in the 89 map and let us know what you think.... more of a longer term test during next season.

Reactions: 2GENAE
#31 ·
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to jump in here and clarify a few things....

This flash will work in all Gen 2 FJR's... Both A and AE models
(YCCS is not in the ECU, and neither is ABS)

This flash will work on Gen 1 bikes as well, but the injectors will have to be changed to Gen 2 injectors.

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fjr1300_g2.htm

__________________________________________________________________________________

I have outlined in detail on this next page what needs to be done to the 06-08 models on this page on my website.
Yamaha was jacking around with the settings on these bikes almost every year until 2009..

This is a simple procedure of just moving one wire in the ECU connector to enable the Co" settings and zero them out... takes about 5 minutes after you access the ECU connector.

This page details for everyone how to zero out these settings for people with 2006-2008 models, and shows you how to set up everything so you have a trouble free setup with good consistent results.

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fjr1300_g2_2.htm

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Since the ecus are all the same for these Gen 2 bikes in the USA, only one file needed to be created... and the "Co" settings just set to "0" on the years that have values other than "0"

Other than USA models are still the same tuning wise, just that they have the Immobilizer system, and I can do those as well.

I also have detailed for everyone how to remove the ECU on this page:

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fjr1300_g2_removal.htm

To answer Ray's question,
You do not change maps on this ECU... You would let me know which timing maps you want at the time of reprogramming.

Also, the bike will offer no performance improvement with the stock timing maps, and feels sluggish in comparison to the work that I have developed for this bike. This is why Nick prefers the new timing tables that I have made for this bike.

You probably would get away with 87 in cooler weather, but when it gets hot in traffic in the summer, 87 will not be adequate with the new timing. This is why I say it needs 89 (middle grade)

This ECU is very different from the 2013 and newer bikes and is not very sophisticated in comparison....
It cannot deal with load conditions in regards to timing the same way as the newer '13 and up bikes.

A similar result is not possible with any other method of an add on fuel tuner, or any other type of external adjustments because of the amount of ignition retard and all the gear dependent fueling and ignition routines. Full throttle gains (dyno charts) aren't that impressive due to the restrictive intake, but anything less than full throttle is a completely different bike...

One that feels alive and so much smoother and happier.... a lot less heat and vibration and no more snatchy throttle above 4000 rpm... a lot less throttle to get the same acceleration and feels very "carburetor like".

Ivan

#33 ·
Thanks for the clarification, Ivan. Should have had this years ago for the Gen2's.
Re running 87, now that I think of it, the test with my Gen3 for a 3000 mile trip was at temperatures roughly mid-high 70's, but really it's not much more $$ to run 89.
Interesting on the CO settings, in the old days the guys were advocating increasing them with the stock ECU, but obviously with the tuning you've done, it's a different deal. Good stuff!!

Reactions: 2GENAE
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.