Front plunger pin sticking out of brake cable - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Front plunger pin sticking out of brake cable

Hello fellow riders,
I dropped my bike in the garage yesterday. No serious damage done, thanks to frame sliders. However, the front brake lever is now closer to the handlebar, because the small plastic pin that is inside the brake cable, which gets depressed when you squeeze on the brake lever, has come out a bit further than it was before the fall. This may be causing another thing I have noticed, which is that my brakes are engaging about every 6 feet when I roll the bike forward or backward. If I pause when the brakes engage, then I can roll further, and then the brakes engage again. I have tried to squeese the brake lever really hard to depress the pin back into the cable, but that did not work. Any idea what I might try to fix this?
Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 07:53 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Front plunger pin sticking out of brake cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhLuckyMan View Post
Hello fellow riders,
I dropped my bike in the garage yesterday. No serious damage done, thanks to frame sliders. However, the front brake lever is now closer to the handlebar, because the small plastic pin that is inside the brake cable, which gets depressed when you squeeze on the brake lever, has come out a bit further than it was before the fall. This may be causing another thing I have noticed, which is that my brakes are engaging about every 6 feet when I roll the bike forward or backward. If I pause when the brakes engage, then I can roll further, and then the brakes engage again. I have tried to squeese the brake lever really hard to depress the pin back into the cable, but that did not work. Any idea what I might try to fix this? Thanks for reading.
OhLuckyMan,

No way that binding "every 6 feet" should be happening. You may have bent a brake rotor. Get the rear wheel up with the center-stand, and check that the rear wheel rotates freely. Most likely, it will be a bent front brake rotor, though. Do NOT try to ride the bike with a bent brake rotor; it would be far too dangerous to you. As for the brake lever, it may be bent or otherwise hammered - you do not have any front brake cable. Pix would help, here.

With the front wheel raised, check that the wheel rotates freely. Most likely, you will be able to see which rotor is bent, and by how much. You really can't cut much from the rotor, so a bent rotor should usually be replaced.

Best wishes.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 07:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

What Red says..... hope you didn't bend a rotor.

And to get that plunger back in the master cylinder, remove the front brake lever entirely, reposition/push in the plunger, reinstall lever (a little silicone lube on the pivot), check it works. You likely won't get it lined up without removing the lever.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks guys. I will check that right front rotor, as it fell to that side. I'll also take apart the front brake lever mechanism, and try to get that plunger reinserted.
cheers
OhLuckyMan (abut not always....lol)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 08:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

OhLuckyman,

Good chance you just knocked the rotor over on the floater pins and probably not bent so you may be able to take things apart and maybe rubber mallet it back square on the pins but really pay attention that it isnít actually bent.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 08:07 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
With or without front axle sliders I'm surprised the rotor hit the floor on the way down,,, maybe it landed on the cat or some other useless object.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ©Ķ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 08:43 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkJacket View Post
With or without front axle sliders I'm surprised the rotor hit the floor on the way down,,, maybe it landed on the cat or some other useless object.
I was going to say the same thing. Iíve never seen a brake rotor hit the ground.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 08:05 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
My moneys on the damaged Master on the handlebar.

The plunger is buggered up (lever not operating properly) and partially applying the brakes.

Fix the damaged parts on the handlebars first and go from there..

Scott

2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page