license plate light circuit question - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

license plate light circuit question

On my 2016 FJR I was entertaining installing two 12VDC mini (1") led side markers in place of the two rear side reflectors. My initial plan was to splice into the license plate light harness although not sure whether it would pose a load issue or not as the plate harness two wires are of fairly small gage. Any opinions on this idea. The LEDs I'm looking to install are two wire non self grounding. Without looking at a wiring diagram I'm guessing the purple wire of the plate light lead is the + and the black/white is the ground. I would confirm before install of course. Not sure of the rated amp draw of the mini's I've chosen as those specs weren't listed. Similar ones spec theirs at .050 amp at 12.8 VDC. Any and all input is welcome.

2016 FJR 1300 A. cobalt blue metallic..Delkevic 13" tri ovals,Yamaha comfort seats, Yamaha touring windscreen, Mich PR 4 Gt's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 05:42 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Lemme know how that works out for ya when you figure it all out... I've been considering something similar to the "fleckers" on my saddle bags.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 05:52 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I’d go with the plug and play harness from Admore and use the wires coming off that. No need to cut any of the factory wiring then.
JohnC and Little Joe like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Id go with the plug and play harness from Admore and use the wires coming off that. No need to cut any of the factory wiring then.

Just the type of excellent advice I was hoping for Bill. I've located that very item and it appears it's only around $29.00..... You wouldn't also happen to know the exact location this little jewel plugs into would ya'?

2016 FJR 1300 A. cobalt blue metallic..Delkevic 13" tri ovals,Yamaha comfort seats, Yamaha touring windscreen, Mich PR 4 Gt's.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Admore harness ordered. Should be here in a week or so. Hoping it will come with moron friendly installation instructions. Otherwise ,I'd be eager to hear from anyone who has installed one.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 07:36 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertO2016 View Post
Admore harness ordered. Should be here in a week or so. Hoping it will come with moron friendly installation instructions. Otherwise ,I'd be eager to hear from anyone who has installed one.
Yours may differ a little being Gen3 but on my Gen2- under the left side cover, where the air filter is, just aft of it. Unplug factory lighting harness. Plug in Admore harness. Extra wires for accessories. I ran my wires down the left side going aft with the factory wiring.

My install is on page 3 -> https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-...light-bar.html

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 07:49 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It’s still behind the left panel (2014, 201. Fairly easy install. The part of the harness that serves the tail section connects to the front part around mid bike on the left side. If you hit a snag and I have time, I’ll pull my panel off and take a picture. You won’t need it. If I can do it, believe me, anyone can.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 01-11-2020 at 07:53 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 09:07 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The Admore harness will give you all the duplicate circuits, however if the "LED reflectors" are what I think they are, no problem tapping in to the licence plate wires.. You can also tap in to the tail light wire (blue) for power...

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 10:37 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Yours may differ a little being Gen3 but on my Gen2- under the left side cover, where the air filter is, just aft of it.
The comment about thin wires plus being 2016 with factory LED taillights raises a question of whether the brake lights are 12v. Have not looked in a couple years but did not remember a brake light controller or any box for dropping voltage. Just saying one should probe and verify before doing anything permanent.

Also verify whether high side is switched on/off or the low (ground) side.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Helpful input from all. I'll check tomorrow sometime behind the left side panel for the connector. I'm assuming that the Admore harness connector simply plugs inline with the existing one and provides extra wires for the add ons that I will run aft to the auxiliary LEDs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page