Gen 3 fork springs in Gen 1 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mobilemike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Gen 3 fork springs in Gen 1

Gents,
Looking to upgrade the front end on a new to me low mile Gen 1. Wondering if you can use Gen 3 fork springs in the Gen 1 forks? Without actual knowledge, I'm thinking the Gen 3 springs are 1/5 the cost of aftermarket and assuming their spring rate matches the harder rear spring found on the Gen 3's, may make a reasonable budget upgrade for my Gen 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 11:19 PM
FJR Top Gun

New springs of the proper weight for you and your riding style are less than $130 shipped with buffers. Why bother with used gen 3s?
hANNAbONE likes this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:18 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

How much you weigh will determine the spring rate you need, but also the Gen1's were notoriously undersprung..... I would recommend the Traxxion spring kit, it is plug and play, and opt for the plastic spring guides... I think U$139.

OK if you want to stay budget, I may have a set of Gen3A springs in my stash you can have for shipping. However, you will need new spacers (or shortened stock ones) since the spring length on Gen1 was 262mm and Gen3A is 345. Stock spacer is I believe 145, so your new ones should be ~83mm..... lemme see if those are still in my stash...

An even longer spacer or extra washers wouldn't hurt as the Gen3 springs are progressive and could use a little preload... but even in stock form, way better than your Gen1 springs.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I'm going to the aftermarket. Thanks for the heads up on Traxxion Dynamics, RaYzerman.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:51 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I put traxxion springs in another bike and they were awesome, good luck.

2016 FJR1300A

2016 FJR1300A
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 07:53 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My experience with Traxxion after installing several sets... first you call them, then you will get hooked up with Dan who will email you a recommendation... which always seems to be 1.1 rate springs regardless of who you are. I have installed those for a couple of 170 lb. riders (I questioned they technically are too stiff given most spring suppliers' recommendations), but apparently the riders are very happy.... so, can't argue with success, and it changed my outlook on fork spring rate tables.
Naturally, preload settings will be lighter (more bars showing), but there will be an immediate positive result (undersprung OEM) and it is the biggest bang for the suspension buck to have real springs. On an FJR, I would not spend any money on damping valving without riding on new springs first and new truer 5W fork oil. Chances are you'll save that money unless you are a very aggressive rider.

Basically there are three ways the FJR kit comes... all are plug and play and come with everything you need.

- Gen1/2 with springs, spacers (145mm) and washers. Note you can re-use the OEM spacers if you like.

- Same version with optional $20 plastic guides that keep the springs centered, spacers are slightly shorter to accomodate (I believe 135mm), slightly different washer selection.
- Gen3, Dan says you can't use the plastic guides... not really true, but not really necessary for any of the kits. The kit comes with flanged washers to keep the springs centered, and there are different ones for right and the left (which has no cartridge). The spacers will be the longer ones 145mm.
When you install, you should have about 15mm of preload (must compress 15mm to get the fork caps back on, normal design). If you don't, add a washer or two... I had one kit where the shorter spacers were supplied in error. Note too, that there are no instructions, it's assumed you know what you're doing...

Other kits don't come with spacers, only springs and some washers, you have to tailor make the OEM spacer length to work with their length of spring vs. the OEM. Certainly nothing wrong with that either. E.g., if you use RaceTech, I'll save you the calculation, shorten the OEM spacers by 32mm.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page