Anything hard about stator replacement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 07:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in SJ View Post
Anything hard about stator replacement
Should be fairly straight forward. Its comes off with the cover. Maybe need to replace gasket if you tear it. Torque bolts to spec when re-assembling.

Kinda rare thing to go bad on modern bikes. How did you determine it needs replacement? Is it not putting out anything, or ohmmeter testing shows it open or shorted?

I would pull it and inspect for a pinched/bad wire that could possibly be fixed before ordering a new one.

'14 FJR1300ES
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 12:19 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I don't believe I've heard of an FJR needing a stator..... and the mofset regulator is a good thing. Like Neal says, maybe check it out further. Are you sure it's not charging or do you perhaps have a funky battery.....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 01:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

What year bike? Why are you changing it?

Have you checked the stator?

Disconnect the stator coupler. You should see three white wires. You will need a DMM (digital multimeter) to check the resistance between each pair of wires. For a Series II or III FJR, you should measure around .13 to .19 ohms. All three should be about the same. A Series I bike will read a little higher.

Then check between any pin and chassis ground. Meter should read OPEN.

Then reconnect everything and check the voltage regulator. If the voltage regulator is good, when the engine is running at 5000 rpm, you should read around 14 volts across the battery.

Suggest you got to [TOOLS] -> [User CP] and addyour bike to your profile. When you have problems, it can make a difference.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 07:44 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It should kick out 14 volts even at fast idle.........

Ray
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

It is a 2005 with abs. I just put a new battery in it and battery went dead in 4 months. Got it jumped and ran it for 20 minutes and battery wouldnt restart it right after shut off. Took battery to batteries plus and they cbaeged and tested it under load. It was fine. So I'm assuming the stator is bad. I will use multimeter to do the recommended checks. Thanks, this was the feedback I was looking for.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 04:49 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I'm having a similar issue, was the stator at fault in the end, or was it something else?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 07:21 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Letting a battery sit for a month or more isn't good without a battery tender hooked up.. the bike has a parasitic draw to keep clocks, etc. powered up. Once a battery gets down to 12.5 volts, it is at 50% charge, lots don't realize that. FJR's like a fresh battery, so take care of it.
Running for 20 minutes is not going to properly recharge a low battery. Slow longer charge is better.

Stator checks as recommended by John will prove stator is OK, they don't fail on these bikes... common issues are poor connections to the regulator, check those connectors. Gen 1 did not have as good a regulator as later FJR's, but rarely do they fail. For an upgrade, find a used genuine Shindengen FH020 off a later Yamaha... FJR, FJ-09, etc. I believe the connectors are the same on Gen1, but check (there are connectors available... Roadster Cycle).

Ray
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 08:58 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Battery state-of-charge vs voltage is a guessing game because there are many other variables such as temperature, battery chemistry, and load. Published tables are of open-circuit voltage, the battery unconnected for hours prior. Necessary for repeatable measurements.

Figure 2 here is a good example showing 50% SOC (State Of Charge) to be from 12.2V to 12.5V.

A vampire load of only 10 mA for hours on end will result in a lower open circuit voltage for the same SOC. This is the situation for a battery installed in FJR. The voltage will be lower by some undefined amount, but the SOC will be same.

Using the figure above 12.5V worst case is 50% SOC, but could very well be 70%. Or higher if one considers the battery is not open-circuit. Or something else if battery temperature is not 68F. As with most things in engineering, it is messy.

Batteries have a lot of capacitance, meaning they act like a capacitor. Has extra voltage if recently charged. Is usually best to check the voltage with headlights on. The load from headlights sucks the weak capacitive charge off the battery.

SOC vs voltage tables are good for getting an initial feel for battery charge but the best thing is to have a voltmeter to watch and learn its patterns just as you watch the engine temperature. Only get concerned when it behaves differently.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 11:19 AM
FJR Top Gun

Stators and voltage regulators and rectifiers usually die from poor connections. Check all your connections while you are at it.
RaYzerman likes this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page