Off Season Modifications - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Off Season Modifications

Merry Christmas! New member here from the Frozen North. For my 60th birthday I recently gifted myself a low mileage 2007 FJR-AE model. Reading your forum posts, I am compiling a list of off season modifications. I am also finding myself envious of our Southern brethren, who get to ride year-round.
At 5'8", with a 31" inseam, I'm "vertically challenged". When straddling the bike with the seat at it's lowest setting, my heals are 1" off the ground. My preference is to be flatfooted, so I am considering T-Rex adjustable trailing arm links, and kickstand. I know the "purists" cringe at the thought of modifying the suspension geometry, and the resulting reduction in lean angle. As I am no "Boy Racer", I don't expect it to be an issue for me.
I will also be ordering their engine, and luggage guards. Having dropped previous bikes, with little or no damage, thanks to well designed guards, I will not own a bike without them.
I will also be adding handlebar risers, and a complete set of Real Time reflective decals (panniers, tour pack, and fairing). As many of you have made similar modifications, I welcome your feedback, recommendations, and links to relevant threads. Especially regarding the handlebar risers. I hope to achieve a 1" rise, and 1" setback with the OEM bars, while avoiding altering the bar angle, and width. Any ideas?

Thank You, and remember the reason for the season!

~Yeah, I'm a Boomer. You got a problem with that?!~

2007 FJR AE QuickSilver "The Quickest Color"
1999 XL1200 Sportster "Heritage Custom"
1976 Kawasaki KZ900 "the cow-Wee!" (sold)
1973 Yamaha RD350 "SMOKE'N!" (sold)
1970 MGB "the Wondermobile" Wonder if it'll start? Wonder if it'll stop? Wonder if it'll get me home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 12:40 AM
Farkle Trainee

Welcome to FJR ownership, and the forum! That is a nice Christmas gift! Is your FJR that beautiful Black Cherry colour?

I have the T-Rex fairing and side-case guards - I haven't field tested them yet (and hope not to), but they seem very robustly built, and look as if they will serve as a good platform for driving lights and highway pegs.

If you're not committed to the lowering links, there are other options, including tweaking the seat to reduce the seat height - either re-contouring the stock seat to make it lower or narrower, or getting an aftermarket seat.

Merry Christmas!

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 01:47 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Hey Boomer, just a quick reply about lowering the FJR with shorter links and adjustable kickstand. You probably have done your due diligence on that modification (several have) but in case you missed it, some ended up struggling to deploy the center stand because of the lowered set up. The typical cure is to simply roll the rear wheel up onto a piece of 2-by lumber before trying to put the bike up onto the center stand.

I added the full set of T-Rex crash bars as the first and only (thus far) modification.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 05:38 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

\When I went to the T-rex website, they showed the luggage guards attached to the INSIDE of the muffler bracket with what looks like a piece of angle iron, but the pictures of the luggage guards, not attached to the bike, show they would have to be attached to the OUTSIDE of the bracket {no angle iron on the end of the braces}. I am concerned because my trailer hitch attaches to the INSIDE of that bracket. What are yours like?

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 05:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Sliders or or cages, and bag guards, cost less than most of our insurance deductibles and take little time to install. Smart move. T-Rex sells great stuff.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 12-24-2019 at 07:14 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 08:39 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have the T rex guards on my 07 and they are nice. I hate to add weight to the bike but it's a lot cheaper than the alternative when it goes down. I've heard you can modify the stock seat bracket to bring it down a bit in the rear. I am considering doing the same for some more ground reach.

2007 Yamaha FJR 1300A - Black Cherry
1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD

"I haven't faced death. I've cheated death. I've tricked my way out of death and patted myself on the back for my ingenuity; I know nothing."
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 08:40 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My recommendation is read and list as much as you want but don't pay money for things or make changes until you've done 1000 miles (or more) and actually know what it is that needs to be changed FOR YOU.
Polar, JohnC and wheaton like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 08:43 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
My recommendation is read and list as much as you want but don't pay money for things or make changes until you've done 1000 miles (or more) and actually know what it is that needs to be changed FOR YOU.
I think something like cages are a valid modification before riding the bike much. I installed my cages before my title came in the mail on my bike. I definately prefer the look without them, but it's not worth it to drop it.
RaYzerman and JunkJacket like this.

2007 Yamaha FJR 1300A - Black Cherry
1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD

"I haven't faced death. I've cheated death. I've tricked my way out of death and patted myself on the back for my ingenuity; I know nothing."
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 09:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Boomer, 5’10” , 30” inseam 240lb here, I had the same problem on my “fastest color” 2014 and just lived with it until I had a slow/easy drop at an off camber slick stop. I got a set of Soupy’s adjustable rear links and dropped the rear 1/2” and then slid the front forks up in the triple clamps the same,,,, much, much better with no negatives, I have yet to touch anything down despite my best efforts.

The side stand and the center stand both seem to work as oe with no issue for me. I also removed the plastic tray under the seat which dropped the seat another 1/4-5/16” which now allows me to sit flat footed even in sneakers. The only downside to that is that the rear corner of my Laam seat now touch’s the side cover top, I added a piece of the fuzzy Velcro where it touch’s to keep from wearing a hole in either the seat or side cover.

Being that you have an inch longer inseam you probably don’t need to do the seat thing. The lowering links I would say probably are enough and unless you can touch hard parts down now I doubt the 1/2” lower will not add to that. And as I said I still use the oe side stand and center stand with no noticeable negatives.

Welcome,enjoy and good luck.
2014oldred likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 12-24-2019 at 09:40 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 03:51 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Off Season Modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer59 View Post
Merry Christmas!
At 5'8", with a 31" inseam, I'm "vertically challenged". When straddling the bike with the seat at it's lowest setting, my heals are 1" off the ground. My preference is to be flatfooted, so I am considering T-Rex adjustable trailing arm links, and kickstand. I know the "purists" cringe at the thought of modifying the suspension geometry, and the resulting reduction in lean angle. As I am no "Boy Racer", I don't expect it to be an issue for me.
Thank You, and remember the reason for the season!
Boomer,

Merry Christmas!

Feet on the ground:

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1215889-post23.html

I lowered my FJR, and no problems here, except for being extra careful when going over (around) the speed bumps and drop-offs. The crankcase may hit concrete, there.

passx and 2014oldred like this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page