6 speed in 5 speed gearbox - Page 6 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 10:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I never do understand the marketing reason for a 6 speed, but don't quite get why they chose the ratios they did. The 5 speed is one of the best out there for overall acceleration and mileage.
In 1st/2nd, the ratios were made taller, and the 5 speed should out accelerate it in those two gears. As for 6th. vs. 5th, at 70mph the difference is only 335 rpm... hardly worth it to me, but I get it moves the range of inherent "buzz" to a different speed.

The FJR is happy to sing at higher rpms, less engine load and better fuel efficiency... start bogging it down and that will suffer. As for top speed, there are so many factors affecting that... but the 5 speed should come out ahead there.

The only reason (and I mean ONLY) that the FJR got a 6 speed was because there was a very vocal minority of former sport bike riders who cut their teeth on 6 gears and haven't ridden enough different bikes yet to understand that EVERYONE who rides stabs for a nonexistent higher gear, regardless of if they have 4, 5 or 6 gears.
Polar likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 10:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yep, I agree. I will never understand the ratio choices for the 6spd, especially the taller 1st &2nd gear choice unless it was to be able to fit the 6spd gear set in the cases with minimal mods, but on a bike like the fjr where pulling away from a stop being heavy laden with a passenger and full gear, it just makes no sense.

Top speed ? Being that the 5spd wonít pull redline in 5th and being that they didnít put more horsepower (except for the very fastest red 2014ís) into the 6spd and being a taller gear the 5spd with a better torque ratio should out mph the 6spd unless the 6spd is run in 5th which has a slightly higher numeric ratio than 5th in the 5spd box. Guess we need a couple of volunteers to figure this out, inquiring minds want to know.

So we need a 5spd volunteer to run his/her bike to top end, been a number That have already done this so there should be plenty of data available. So, we just need a couple of 6spd volunteers to run things to the top in 5th & 6th and report back,,, and just tell the police that it was all in the name of science, Iím sure theyíll understand ! ������

Just some ďfunĒ facts based on Rayís excellent gear ratio chart of what would be the theoretical top speeds if the fjr could pull redline,,,

5spd 5th gear @ 9000rpm = 169.6mph

6spd , 5th gear @ 9000rpm = 163.8mph

6spd, 6th gear @ 9000rpm = 186.4mph

All theoretical of course so the Hayabusa & ZRX14 have no worryís here and like I said before the 6spd in5th would probably pull the highest top speed,,,,,, except for the very fastest red 2014 bikes of course !������

Happy new year to all of you, I hope itís a good one ! Kinda off to a rough start here in nw Indiana, 21degf here with snow and ice on the roads and I have a severe hankering to go for a ride! Ferret, youíre just going to have to fill in and report back !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 01-01-2020 at 01:22 PM.
post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 01:31 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Steve, you should be the 5 speed volunteer... we want to know the truth about how fast those red ones really are, LOL.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 03:08 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Steve, you should be the 5 speed volunteer... we want to know the truth about how fast those red ones really are, LOL.
Oh, please. I’m so tired of hearing how fast
a bike is that took 14 YEARS to get here. JS
rbentnail likes this.
post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 05:07 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Top speed between my (previous) gen 3 (5 speed), and current gen 4 (six speed) isnít much different. Getting there is. On the five speed, you just roll on to top speed. With the six speed, you need to wait very late to go to sixth gear. Itís arguable that your top speed may be reached in fifth gear. Sixth merely maintains it. My perception, and I havenít spent a whole lot of time fooling around up there once I tried it on the new bike.*

*(Professional rider on a closed track with a rental bike).
passx likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 10:19 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK50 View Post
Oh, please. I’m so tired of hearing how fast
a bike is that took 14 YEARS to get here. JS
Does somebody need a nap ? Maybe a chill pill?

Well Ray, I guess we’re not supposed to have any fun anymore, don’t wanna upset people.

Steve P
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 01-02-2020 at 08:58 AM.
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 10:02 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I thought I was having fun.
Sorry you took offense.
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 01:32 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I thought it was all in good fun......
N4HHE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Slk50, so sorry as I apparently took things the wrong way, apparently you are very much into the 14 fastest red bikes 😁,,, thatís what Iím hearing,,, even ray went red and Iím betting heíll never be able To go back......

Steve P
Ride more,, worry less !
post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 01:51 AM
Farkle Trainee

6th gear itself (not 1-5) is perfect for what it is, a missile at high speed, but so were the 5 speed ratios. Even if it was just a 200rpm drop it would have been noticeable because that's usually right in the buzzy zone. I still think just adding the 6th gear they used to the existing ratios would have satisfied everyone. I'm shopping FJR's right now and the only thing stopping me from the "16+ are those stupid ratios. Small changes make a big difference.

Last edited by Ditch; 01-03-2020 at 01:54 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page