6 speed in 5 speed gearbox - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 09:27 AM
Farkle Trainee

I applaud anyone who is a creative thinker and doer.

I had a 2006 FJR and have a 2017 now. It’s hard for me to make subjective comparisons because I had three bikes and 100,000 miles between the two FJRs. Bit I do remember my gas mileage fairly well. The 2017 gets about 10% better mileage, rough number.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 09:58 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I had the two back to back. Going from 14-18, no improvement in my mileage. If I rode the bike like a 5 speed and only used 6 for highway, that’d be optimal, but I’m always fiddling in and out of 6th on secondary roads. 6th is an rpm-dropping joy for highway riding though.
passx likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 10:29 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I’ve ridden a number of the 6spds and have zero concerns/complaints with them, they are very refined. And have ridden the 6spd back-to-back with my 5spd 14and have no complaints with either, the only real difference is that the 6spd feels less hurried at freeway speeds than the 5spd but the 5spd doesn’t feel strained either.

I’ve used all 6spds in around town traffic at 35mph which is on the edge of “lugging” the motor, and finally all I’ll say is that like Bill above if I had 100k or more (not that it’s worn out) I would probably trade my fastest color red 2014 for a new 6spd with zero regrets. From my view both are really good bikes and the 6spd is just a part of the continuous improvement program, I hope it continues but realize that it probably won’t. I have zero interest in a cruiser or a crotch rocket so I hope some “pencil-neck” at Yamaha realizes that the fjr fills a niche market and that even though they’re not going to sell a million of them a year it is still a viable market and quite frankly there seems to be more seen on the road every year that I’ve had mine.my .02

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 12:06 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
I’ve ridden a number of the 6spds and have zero concerns/complaints with them, they are very refined. And have ridden the 6spd back-to-back with my 5spd 14and have no complaints with either, the only real difference is that the 6spd feels less hurried at freeway speeds than the 5spd but the 5spd doesn’t feel strained either.

I’ve used all 6spds in around town traffic at 35mph which is on the edge of “lugging” the motor, and finally all I’ll say is that like Bill above if I had 100k or more (not that it’s worn out) I would probably trade my fastest color red 2014 for a new 6spd with zero regrets. From my view both are really good bikes and the 6spd is just a part of the continuous improvement program, I hope it continues but realize that it probably won’t. I have zero interest in a cruiser or a crotch rocket so I hope some “pencil-neck” at Yamaha realizes that the fjr fills a niche market and that even though they’re not going to sell a million of them a year it is still a viable market and quite frankly there seems to be more seen on the road every year that I’ve had mine.my .02
Nice detailed explanation about 5 speed to 6 speed FJR !

Current Motorcycles

2014 FJR 1300 A Red

2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 Carburetted
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 01:15 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I wonder how the 6 speed does for top speed. The FJR runs out of steam at 145-150mph and does not pull redline with the 5 speed.
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 03:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
I have zero interest in a cruiser or a crotch rocket so I hope some “pencil-neck” at Yamaha realizes that the fjr fills a niche market and that even though they’re not going to sell a million of them a year it is still a viable market and quite frankly there seems to be more seen on the road every year that I’ve had mine.my .02

And the tooling and development costs have pretty much been paid for long ago.

Now, one thing that MamaYama could do that wouldn't require any extra parts is to use the IMU on the 16s onward to implement true self canceling turn signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushNatU View Post
I wonder how the 6 speed does for top speed. The FJR runs out of steam at 145-150mph and does not pull redline with the 5 speed.

With the stock windshield, MCN got their 2013 up to 150.7 mph. With the same engine, I would expect similar performance from the six speed. Because the bottom two gears of the six speed are a little lower that the five speed, I would expect the the six speed to be a shade quicker, but no faster.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 10:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Now, one thing that MamaYama could do that wouldn't require any extra parts is to use the IMU on the 16s onward to implement true self canceling turn signals.

With end-user setable delay.
JohnC likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 12:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajmadsen View Post
hi
ever since the 2016 fjr 6 speed came out, i been thinking is it possible to fit a 6 speed gearbox in to a old 5 speedbox
i have been looking at the parts diagrams for a long time and i cannot see any difference in the crankcase for the
5 speed to the new 6 speed
to make a long story short, i went along and got my hands on a 6 speed gearbox, shifter drum and middle gear
i took the engine apart, the old gears out
the new 6 speed went inn very easy, i just have to grind a little in the casing to make room for the bigger gear wheel
on the left hand side of the
so now i have a fjr 2005 with a 2010 engine and with a 6 speed gearbox
some may ask why is he doing all this, it was easyer to buy a new bike with 6 speed
the answer is i like to do things like this, i have a background with harley davidsons where i use to change things like this
That's F****** amazing.

I've always wanted to know something you could probably answer. Where the ratio's for the 6 spd chosen specifically for spacial reasons? Meaning, could they have kept 1-5 alone and just made 6th taller? I'll never understand why they would tighten the ratio on a touring bike with so much torque.
post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 04:15 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
That's F****** amazing.

I've always wanted to know something you could probably answer. Where the ratio's for the 6 spd chosen specifically for spacial reasons? Meaning, could they have kept 1-5 alone and just made 6th taller? I'll never understand why they would tighten the ratio on a touring bike with so much torque.
I think 6th would have been way too tall. RPM would have been too low for the good range of the torque band. MPG would have suffered.

So when Marketing demands, "We must have 6-speed!" the only thing to do is lower 5th and all other gears to make room for 6th a bit higher than the old 5th.
2014oldred likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 09:24 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I never do understand the marketing reason for a 6 speed, but don't quite get why they chose the ratios they did. The 5 speed is one of the best out there for overall acceleration and mileage.
In 1st/2nd, the ratios were made taller, and the 5 speed should out accelerate it in those two gears. As for 6th. vs. 5th, at 70mph the difference is only 335 rpm... hardly worth it to me, but I get it moves the range of inherent "buzz" to a different speed.
The FJR is happy to sing at higher rpms, less engine load and better fuel efficiency... start bogging it down and that will suffer. As for top speed, there are so many factors affecting that... but the 5 speed should come out ahead there.
mobilemike likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page