Thanks for the historic posts on Oil Light - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By wengland
  • 1 Post By JohnC
  • 1 Post By Rumblestrip
  • 5 Post By RaYzerman
  • 3 Post By slowdave

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Cool Thanks for the historic posts on Oil Light

Just wanted to thank all the previous posters on why the oil light would come on when cold, under acceleration, 3rd gear up hill. Oil may be a touch low. Will top it off tomorrow afternoon. Saved me some serious worry about the bike and motor. Fresh oil change yesterday, betting they came in a quarter quart low. That is all...

philharmonic likes this.

--
"I am a poster child for 'Dont Do That!' -- Me, 8/2003
2006 Yamaha FJR | 2018 Ducati Monster
STOC# 4167 | IBA #11383 | MSTA | MaDOG | HOAME | Overland Park,KS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PCS: 913-269-6379
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wengland; 12-06-2019 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Fogot I had a .sig file already configured. Removed sig from message body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 02:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If your oil level light is coming on, you are more than a touch low.

I did a little non-scientific testing after I realized that the warning light was a level detector. At an estimated 2.5 quarts in the crankcase, the oil warning light came on. Three quarts in the crankcase turned it off.
passx likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 01:05 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
If your oil level light is coming on, you are more than a touch low.

I did a little non-scientific testing after I realized that the warning light was a level detector. At an estimated 2.5 quarts in the crankcase, the oil warning light came on. Three quarts in the crankcase turned it off.
I kindly advise to be careful before you blanket ALL those oil light cases as "oil is low". Not to stir this pot again, but read on for my own testing sepcifically because of this issue.

When I have my '07, I was startled on 3 different mornings with the oil light. Knowing I had 4.25 qurts in it from the oil and filter change about 800 miles before. Each time was when I started the bike, let it idle for a few seconds and rolled.
I then read some forum posts about letting the bike warm to 2 bars and put that into practice. I had NO oil light after the temp hit 2 bars.

So, as I was courious, did an oil and filter change. Purposely over filled it at 4.5 quarts. Which obviously is well about that 2.5 quart trigger point.
Couple days later, on 2 cool mornings, started it up, idle for a few seconds, and off I went. Each time about 1/2 mile or so, magical oil light appeared. Then went off about a mile(ish) into my commute. Kept going as I knew bike a was more that OK on oil level.
3rd and 4th mornng was actually cooler, but let bike get to 2 bars.... no oil light and was none since.
Don't know why, nor did I fret or bother to research it further.

Sold the '07 and advised the new owner of the warmup process.
wengland likes this.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

2013 Stone Grey

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 04:32 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'll say outright I don't know at what minimum oil level the sensor kicks in... Over the years, the only time I hear of oil level light coming on is when folks bought a (US) gallon (3.78 litres), dumped it in and called it good. Adding oil to ~4.23 US quarts usually solved the problem but maybe had a flicker until it warmed up..... if they used the long filter, did they compensate by adding more, who knows, they never say.
On my FJR oil changes, I only have used long filters and dump in 4.3 litres (=4.5 US quarts). If I dump in 4 litres (Yammy says), usually OK, had a flicker once or twice, just drove me to dump in the 4.3L. Using the rather dumb IMHO sight glass check procedure (too many variables), my oil level ends up at the top mark... personal preference. Next morning engine not started the level is at the top or (my guess) slightly over the top, perfectly fine by me.
I'd bet you could overfill a tad more before the upper oil level would touch the crankshaft, but we don't want to go there either. Watch your sight glass next time you start your bike, oil level drops significantly as the oil pump starts pumping.
Rumblestrip, you may have had an overly sensitive oil level sensor, who knows, but to me it should not have come on I would think.
Meanwhile, give me a good old fashioned dipstick where I can check oil level.....
Little Joe, passx, Redfish and 2 others like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:04 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

When the oil is cold, the pump will pump very effectively but drainback will be much slower than with fully warmed oil. So it makes sense that you could trigger a low level sensor with cold oil because more oil is in the head and various drainback passages. As it warms, it flows more easily and sump level may rise back to the more normal level.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
RaYzerman, passx and Back in Black like this.

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 08:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
wengland you are to be commended on your use of the search button!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 10:16 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Yes, thanks on the oil level advice. Ran into a situation where it popped on for a bit 1 bar warm and it was a below half in the glass situation when I checked again at home. Added a bit more above 3/4 and no more light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in