FJR Owners Forum banner

Slipping clutch

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  dravnx 
#1 ·
2015 A with 41,000 mi. Clutch started slipping today. Always use Mobile 1 Synth. Anything to check before I start ordering parts?

#3 ·
Oops.

#4 ·
Glad you "fixed" it. But "Mobile (sic) 1 Synth" tells us nothing other than you spend a lot of money on oil.

"Synth" is not a motor oil performance specification. Says no more about your oil than "purple". Or green antifreeze vs orange vs blue.

There are at least (5) Mobil-1 motor oils that would not cause your FJR to immediately blow up. By definition all Mobil-1 oils are synthetic.

#8 ·
I use Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil. It's in a gray bottle taken from the top shelf, third row over from the left. Purchased from O'Reilly's Auto Parts on Farmers Lane in Santa Rosa Ca. Randy rang it up and the receipt is yellow.

#5 ·
Happened to me when the excess strap from my tank bag got in between the clutch lever and the bracket. I was also "very happy" when I figured out what it was. LOL

#13 ·
Friction modifiers MODIFY the friction, they don't eliminate it.

Their presence lowers the point at which a clutch could slip. It doesn't guarantee that it will.

Weather or not it slips is likely more dependant on its age/level if wear AND how hard you are pushing it.

If you ride mellow than it may never slip but you may be able to make it slip if you are riding and accelerating hard.

"Trying it" and proclaiming that in your case it didn't cause slipping does not mean much. There are a lot of variables.

In any event, I tend to believe that engineers know what they are doing and if they recommend a specific thing it would be for a good reason that can be backed up by the specs.

Why deliberately use something that was expressly called out by the designer as something to not do? MA rated oil is affordable. What is gained?

My bike was not cheap. I think I'll just stick to manufacturers recommendations within reason.

To each his own but why?

#15 · (Edited)
Friction modifiers MODIFY the friction, they don't eliminate it.
All motor oils modify friction.

Friction modification doesn't ensure lessening of friction. Manual transmission fluids are friction modified to increase friction between steel and copper alloys as used in synchro cones. Would be nasty if that stuff got used in an engine as plain bearings are a copper alloy.

Oh, and there is a specification for "energy conserving" but no requirement of a motor oil that it be labeled, "energy conserving." For a period in the early 2000's Mobil-1 made their 15W-50 into a 15W-50 version of their 5W-30 "energy conserving" oil but didn't label it as such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.