Throttle Tamer for 06 fjr- thoughts? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Throttle Tamer for 06 fjr- thoughts?

What are your thoughts about a throttle tamer, thanks in advance for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 04:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'd do it on an '06 or '07......

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 05:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I'd do it on an '06 or '07......

+1

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 05:31 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Never felt the need for it. Adjust the throttle cables so there is nearly no free play.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 11:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Never felt the need for it. Adjust the throttle cables so there is nearly no free play.
If you think installing will help with "abruptness", I can't comment on that but I guess I should clarify. I grew up riding first ho-made mini-bikes, the kind with no brakes, iffy carbs and vise grips for throttle cables. It wasn't until I was a mid-teen that I got a "real" bike- a 50cc Suz with 3 gears and brakes and everything ! From there I progressed thru quirky 2 strokes and larger 4 strokes in sand pits and the woods.

Couple all that with forearm and grip strength. I started in the US Navy as a mechanic in nuclear subs. I've since been in industrial maintenance in one aspect or another since 1984, always pulling wrenches and twisting screwdrivers. I believe if you have that kind of training you don't need a Throttle Tamer but if you have to ask, you should probably get one. They are relatively cheap and easy to install.

The other thing that helps me is replacing the grips. Some folks like Grip Puppies or Buddies but they're too big for me. If you're considering a Throttle Tamer b/c of arm and wrist ache after riding, this is exactly what Grip Puppies did to me- my forearms ached horribly until I went back to smaller grips. I like the factory grip size but they get hard after a couple yrs. I went with Pro Grip #714 and haven't considered anything else. You can get them for about $10, a local dealership stocks them here so I don't even pay shipping. I went to the drug store and asked the little girl there for the strongest hold hair spray they have. Kinda funny look I got considering the long flowing invisible hair I have . I install them one yr, rotate them 180 degrees the next, then replace them again. Huge comfort factor!

The grip and forearm strength & the experience with quirkiness help overcome the abruptness & stiffness (see throttle cable unwind) if you adjust the cable free play to near zero, up the idle speed to 1100-1150 and do the Barbarian mod, all as mentioned in other threads. So, again, I have to ask, have you tried these things? Why exactly are you asking about a Throttle Tamer?

If we had some background instead of just another open question it sure would be helpful in helping you.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rbentnail; 12-06-2019 at 11:41 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Ok my background is I built my 1st mini bike at around 11, hard wheelbarrow front tire, no clutch so you had to run and jump on, got into a head on with my Suz 50 on the trails, broke my helmet, thanks to dad I had one on, burned, no walking for 6 months, hardtail chopper, t bucket, housebouts, snowmobiles, homemaid rc stuff,to manytoys to list,in my experience, all engines without a tunnel ram,especially fuel injected, should be smooth from idle, not hitting it like an idiot, I'll try your tips and let you know how it works out, thanks for all your help, any suggestions are welcome, my bike is an 06,80,000 miles, 1 owner bike,. Mostly highway miles,iron butt type
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Also I am going to put a heli bar bridge on it
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 01:01 PM
Farkle Trainee

It's also possible, if you are of a mind to, to take out the throttle tube and with a Dremel grind off the beginning of the radius near where the cable ends attach, on the pull side. You create a slower ramp. It's a Throttle Tamer on the cheap.
I've done this to a couple of bikes, most recently the Versys 650, in an attempt to ease the snatchiness at the beginning of the throttle range. It works better on some than others; in the case of the Versys, it wasn't much help because the bike's inherent snatch comes from the fuel injection mapping closing the fuel off altogether as the throttle is closed. An ECU flash from Shoodaben Engineering in Florida did wonders and made this bike rideable.
Your results can vary. The good news is you can get a throttle tube off EBay very cheaply and butcher it up with little risk.

Bill

2009 FJR1300
2000 ZRX1100
1999 ZG1000
2018 Versys 650LT in the hands of the Missus
2004 Suzuki SV650S, also Hers
2006 GSX-R600, mixed ownership
In the avatar: 1966 Velocette Venom Thruxton and 1967 BSA Royal Star.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page