Rear Suspension Relay Arm Service - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By OhLuckyMan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Rear Suspension Relay Arm Service

Hello Riders,
I am the happy owner of a 2016 FJR 1300A. It has 31,000 kilometers on it; all put there by me, in the last two years.
I have read that one of the three relay arm pivots can be troublesome if neglected, whereas the other two, being a bit higher off the road, are usually in better condition. Should I take the rear shock assembly apart and service the three relay arm pivot points? That is the question.

A few considerations in reaching your decision would include:
- mostly highway miles
-Pacific Northwest conditons from March 15-November 15.
- at most 10% of the travelling has been in wet conditions
-the bike is garage stored at all times.

Any discussion would be appreciated, as I would like to service the bike myself, over the winter, and am uncertain as to whether or not to include this service item

Thanks for reading!
Ride Safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 01:05 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhLuckyMan View Post
Hello Riders,
I am the happy owner of a 2016 FJR 1300A. It has 31,000 kilometers on it; all put there by me, in the last two years.
I have read that one of the three relay arm pivots can be troublesome if neglected, whereas the other two, being a bit higher off the road, are usually in better condition. Should I take the rear shock assembly apart and service the three relay arm pivot points? That is the question.
Any discussion would be appreciated, as I would like to service the bike myself, over the winter, and am uncertain as to whether or not to include this service item Thanks for reading! Ride Safe
OhLuckyMan,

You may be early on the servicing of the relay arm, but IMHO, you gotta have total confidence in your ride. So make your decisions in that light. I probably bleed the hydraulics more often than the specs call out, but hey, why skimp on brake fluid? It's cheap, and this is my choice.

As for the relay arm itself, the real issue is to keep the bearings greased, instead of rebuilding the relay arm too often. There's a rider over at another FJR sandbox with one very slick approach - he installs Zerk fittings. He does nice work! With his mod, normal relay arm maintenance will not be a rebuild, but just a few shots from a grease gun. I bought a relay arm (with Zerks installed) from him. When I swap out my old relay arm, I plan to send him my old relay arm, which he can rebuild and mod with Zerks for the next rider. Check out this mod:

https://www.fjriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=4161&p=100493#p86742

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$25.00).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 09:22 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

As you likely know already, the centerstand has to be removed to get the front pivot bolt out. The relay arm with zerks makes this a one-time job.
However, the other three are accessible with the bike on the centerstand, and I would grease them early in life (Yammy didn't put nearly enough in)... adequate grease will keep water intrusion to a minimum, thus preventing corrosion to a minimum and preventing buying all those expensive little parts....
Start by putting a piece of wood under the rear wheel so you can pry it up and down to align bolts on reassembly. Remove rear shock bolt. Remove rear dogbone bolt at the swingarm, then let the arm pivot forward of the centerstand so you can get proper tools on the bolt head and nut. Remove all bushings and grease generously...

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks for that great idea about the zerks fittings. I think I will handle it the way you are, and get a spare relay arm from him now, and then send him my original one when it comes off the first time.
As to the timing of the relay arm service, your basic position of "Better too soon than too late." makes perfect sense. However, because this job looks like a lot of work, I thought I'd put the question out there for input from other riders.
Thanks again for your input.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks Rayzerman for going over some of the details on how to get the centre stand off. Can the bold just be turned around so it can be easily removed next time?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 12:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You can't get two of the centerstand bolts out because the exhaust is in the way. Basically, cut them off with a reciprocating saw and put two new ones in the correct way.
For the moment, I'd service what you can get at without centerstand removal, as those are the most exposed.... it's an hour job maybe.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have just completed the swing arm bearing lube, and the relay arm lube required at 25,000 kms (16,000 miles). This is a big job, and took quite some time for me, because I don't have much mechanical experience. None the less, here are my impressions:
-the hardest part is deciding whether or not to do it myself. Watching Twowheelobsession's video on how to do this service will give you all the information you need to do the job. I watchd the video about 5 times in total, and took many notes. I made note of the exact time in the video where various parts were being removed, so that I could quickly look at that information again if I needed to. When I got stuck, or uncertain, then I would go back into the house and review the appropriate segment, and then proceed. This worked just fine.
-the most difficult part of the actual job was cutting off the two bolts that hold the centre stand on to the frame. I used a sawzall, or reciprocating saw, and that was effective.
-I used Lucas REd and TAcky lithium compound grease to lube everything except the drive shaft gears, the u-joint, and the rear wheel drive hub. I ued Honda moly to do those three areas.
-I spent a lot of time cleaning and lightly greasing many parts, in such a way as to slow down corrosion from rain.
-be absolutely certain to stabilize the front forks, as that will stop the bike from moving when you must remove the centre stand. The video details how to support the bike.
-I was quite concerned about getting several things back together. In hindsight, I need not have been . They went together quite smoothly. Reinstalling the swing arm into its correct place and putting that axle back in took only 15 minutes or less. Reinstalling the rear wheel, and getting the calipers back on, by myself, took only a few minutes as well, whereas I thought it would be difficult doing it alone. (I'm retired, 5'9" and 150 lbs, and found I could manage it quite well..do as he says in the video!)
As a final word, for those considering doing this , do go thru the video and make note of all the tools and sockets you will need, and have them all on hand before you start the job. I went to order the two bolts that get cut off, and found they are back ordered at the national level. I substitued.
Good luck to those who decide to take it on.
philharmonic and Sete Bond like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page