Engine swap - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Question Engine swap

Hi, looks like I had the dreaded CCT failure on my '04. I do not remember this being an issue, but I wish I would have known. Hindsight, right? I have read where a few on here are claiming "broken" pistons when this happens, but I have not seen a thread where this has actually been documented on here. My search skills must be weak on this forum.
The way this happened on my bike was at start up. I started it like I always do, it fired up with a loud clatter and went dead less than two seconds later. I knew it was history, so I didn't even turn it over again. I never thought that would crack pistons, but I've never owned a Yamaha FJR that had this issue either. What is the consensus from the Yamaha techs in here? Not speculation, I want someone that has had this happen at start-up like mine did to tell me it broke pistons in their engine.
What all engines can I swap into my bike if I go that route? I have a line on an '07 with supposedly 20k on it. It is out of an electric shift version bike, will that work on my bike with no electric shift? Will I need to swap any of my electrics onto the '07 engine to be compatible with my wiring harness?
What is everyone doing about a new CCT? Are there any good manual adjusters out there that are legit? Is the later version of the auto tensioner a good idea?

Thanks for any and all help. I'm sick over this, but I'm going to get it back together one way or the other.

'04 FJR1300
ZRX
KLR
KZ
Z1-R
LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 03:06 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Sorry for your misfortune. By all reports, the late model chain tensioners are pretty reliable.

According to Mr. Haynes and his wiring diagram, the engine controls should be the same, which mean those should be plug 'n play. Parts diagrams show different part numbers for the ECU and EFI assembly but the newer engine may work with the older parts. The AE function? I don't know.

My FJR first hand experience is limited to the Series III, but there are quite a few here with a lot of experience with the older bikes.
BlueRider likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 03:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The gear shift sequence on your bike is 1-N-2-3-4-5. The shift sequence on an AE is N-1-2-3-4-5.
JohnC and BlueRider like this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 04:29 AM
Farkle Trainee

Ionbeam had cct fail and ended up replacing the engine but not before he had stripped the engine to show the damage. It was way back in 2006/2007 before the updated cct came out.

Have a look under ionbeam's posts

05 FJR Silver & Blue
19 plate MT10SP / crazy but i love it
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 10:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You may not have cracked the pistons but you certainly bent the valves... thus you will have no compression...... you are indeed better off with another engine rather than try to fix yours....
Any year engine will work except the 2016 and up. You need the 5 speed, and as Bernie points out, the shift pattern is different on an AE... I'd look for another if it were me.
As for using a Gen3 (2013-'15) newer engine, you will have to swap (re-use) some of your existing electrical parts... ignition pickup and trigger wheel (rotor), but other parts such as shift position switch, oil level sensor should work as long as they have the right mating connector. Stator harness may have to be extended and use your existing connector, as the regulator is up front on a Gen3. Use appropriate gauge wire and solder your connections.

You will have to swap out your valve cover also as Gen3 is different, and keep your existing cylinder identification sensor.
I put a Gen3 engine in my '06 project bike........
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-f...e-rebuild.html

Some additional reading.
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-f...t-gen-2-a.html
philharmonic and BlueRider like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 01:23 PM
FJR Top Gun

I dont want to be a jerk. Just blunt.
Your 04 isnt worth putting an engine in. Unless you are looking for a project, have the tools and the space, or you are completely tapped for cash. I say sell it to a scrapper and get another newer bike.
JohnC likes this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 02:24 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
I dont want to be a jerk. Just blunt.
Your 04 isnt worth putting an engine in. Unless you are looking for a project, have the tools and the space, or you are completely tapped for cash. I say sell it to a scrapper and get another newer bike.
BlueRider,

I tend to agree with Mike, but I can offer one possible alternative. It is possible that you bent the valves, but did not destroy the pistons (or cylinder walls). If all of the valves are still in the head (bent but not broken off), then you may be able to save the bike with a new (used) head. Used but serviceable FJR heads typically cost less than the head machine-work that you would need to repair your present head.

It is fair to note that there is some risk to your wallet, here. There are some Gen1 heads that had a "ticking" problem, meaning bad valve guides, and you may be unlucky enough to get one of the few bad heads still out there. That problem would make the replacement head no better than what you have now. Still, a good used cylinder head (if your pistons are not chewed up) could save your bike, if you are really that determined to keep your bike going.

If you want a winter project, and can do the work yourself, there it is. Otherwise, labor costs will probably doom the project, so a newer bike will still be the better option. Pretty much everything on Gen1 bikes will interchange, so you would a have a Gen1 bike worth of spare parts, or a complete parts bike to sell. The gen2s (2006-2012) are a different breed.

If you decide to get a newer bike, I'd recommend a 2008 or later, as the first Gen2s had some glitches. The 2008s (and up) are the better machines.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$25.00).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I agree with @mobilemike .

But I'd do this first:
Remove the head / valvetrain and inspect the tops of your pistons for damage.
You will most likely have some bent or broken valves but there may not be any fatal damage to pistons.

You can then repair the damaged parts of valve train, install a good CCT and Voila.
I've used APE cct on a couple of Honda s but don't know if they make cct for Yamaha bikes. Check them out.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 07:54 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
BlueRider,

I tend to agree with Mike, but I can offer one possible alternative. It is possible that you bent the valves, but did not destroy the pistons (or cylinder walls). If all of the valves are still in the head (bent but not broken off), then you may be able to save the bike with a new (used) head. Used but serviceable FJR heads typically cost less than the head machine-work that you would need to repair your present head.

It is fair to note that there is some risk to your wallet, here. There are some Gen1 heads that had a "ticking" problem, meaning bad valve guides, and you may be unlucky enough to get one of the few bad heads still out there. That problem would make the replacement head no better than what you have now. Still, a good used cylinder head (if your pistons are not chewed up) could save your bike, if you are really that determined to keep your bike going.

If you want a winter project, and can do the work yourself, there it is. Otherwise, labor costs will probably doom the project, so a newer bike will still be the better option. Pretty much everything on Gen1 bikes will interchange, so you would a have a Gen1 bike worth of spare parts, or a complete parts bike to sell. The gen2s (2006-2012) are a different breed.

If you decide to get a newer bike, I'd recommend a 2008 or later, as the first Gen2s had some glitches. The 2008s (and up) are the better machines.
Why take the chance of getting a 'ticker"? Just purchase a head off of a later model FJR.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Blue, I told you that more knowledgeable people would sign it. Oh, I almost forgot. From 2006 on, MamaYama put in upgraded, more powerful alternators: from 490 watts @ 4000 rpm to 590 watts, so you would also probably need a later model voltage regulator.

Bernie, I forgot about the difference in the shift pattern.
Bernie likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page