Warming the engine before riding. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Warming the engine before riding.

Hi all

Only ridden it once. Awful weather here in the UK at the moment so I’m just using the ST1300 until things dry up a bit.

What do you chaps do with starting and riding. The ST manual states idle until one bar shows and then it’s ready to ride. What do you do With the FJR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 02:55 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I always wait until the display changes from Lo to a digital temp. I don’t think catastrophic things would immediately happen if I didn’t, but I am never in such a hurry as to need to ride off on a cold engine.
the Ferret and 2GENAE like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 11-15-2019 at 03:48 PM.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 03:43 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

When it comes off cold idle and the rpm drops to normal, it's ready to go. I wouldn't go all hooligan until it properly warms up to operating temp.........
If you have the Ivan flash, this will take longer to come down off fast idle......
Gitbox, passx, cra-z1 and 3 others like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 04:20 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I start my bike before I put my helmet and gloves on. Then back it out of my garage, hit the garage door opener, and ride off. Approximately 2 minutes of idle time, regardless of outside temp. Leaving work, I unlock the trunk, start the bike, helmet and gloves, latch trunk, ride off. As as it runs long enough to idle down it is sufficiently warmed.
mobilemike and ReRose like this.

2007 Yamaha FJR 1300A - Black Cherry
1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD

"I haven't faced death. I've cheated death. I've tricked my way out of death and patted myself on the back for my ingenuity; I know nothing."
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 05:41 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Start and go, but easy with the revs for a few minutes.
passx and mortenk like this.

2018 Phantom Blue
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 05:53 PM
rgb
Training wheels fitted!

Warm weather I fire it up and make sure the idle is stable and go. Getting out of the driveway it's always a maze (danged kids and their parking) and beyond that it downhill to the main road. When it turns colder, I let it warm up a bit more but then its the same. Downhill and out of the valley.

None of the neighbors claim to hate me because of the bikes.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 06:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I always wait until the display changes from Lo to a digital temp. I donít think catastrophic things would immediately happen if I didnít, but I am never in such a hurry as to need to ride off on a cold engine.
I do this also...itís probably not necessary but it doesnít take long at all to wait for a little bit of heat to build. I avoid application of heavy throttle until the engine temperature is stabilized at itís normal point...maybe 5-10 mins or so of riding depending on the ambient temperature...again, probably not necessary.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 06:19 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I always wait until the display changes from Lo to a digital temp. I donít think catastrophic things would immediately happen if I didnít, but I am never in such a hurry as to need to ride off on a cold engine.

I do this too. Takes 2 mins according to the trip clock
Bill Lumberg likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

There will be a lot of answers to this with no empirical data to show whether they make a difference or not. I believe it makes no difference whether you let it warm up or not before riding. But I agree with others who say you should not run it hard until it is warmed up.

BUT, what really matters in my opinion is oil temperature. I learned in my Corvettes that had oil temperature readouts, actual degrees not just a needle, that the oil temperature takes at least twice as long as coolant temperature to come up to what would be considered a normal operating temperature.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
When it comes off cold idle and the rpm drops to normal, it's ready to go. I wouldn't go all hooligan until it properly warms up to operating temp.........
This. I start it, leisurely put on helmet, etc. and ride off.
mobilemike likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in