2014 ES Fork Service - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jackofjr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

2014 ES Fork Service

G'day this is my first post
I have a 2014 FJR1300 ES model , there is a reasonably loud clunking noise when bouncing the front or when riding over a rough service , its very noticeable at low speed .
My bike has done 73K - 43000 miles , has anyone noticed the same issue
Looking at the parts manual , I thought there might be some bushes that might need replacing but cant see any
the local dealer thinks I might need to replace the complete Damper Rod assembly , but they really have no idea never having serviced a ES fork before '
Grateful is anyone has any advice
I'm in Australia and parts are very expensive , is there any aftermarket or even genuine parts online store in the USA , I might be able to buy from
Regards Jacko in Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 06:21 AM
Farkle Trainee

Jackofjr,

Welcome to the forum.

Some people have taken the ES forks apart, and although it has been noted there are bushings in the "upside down" forks, there is no part number(s) to replace them individually like the "conventional" forks have.

I personally use https://www.partzilla.com/ quite often, as they usually have the best pricing for OEM parts. Not sure if they ship to Australia, and that is what is what hurts the most. The shipping cost. It is a good source for figuring out part numbers and seeing how all the bits are supposed to fit together.

But are you sure this "clunking" is coming from the forks? I would suggest getting the front end off the ground an seeing if anything is loose. The only way to really tell if the bushings are worn in the forks would be to remove the springs so you can move and measure any deflection.

The steering head is a regular maintenance item and many people have replaced the factory ball bearings with aftermarket tapered bearings. It is possible this could be it as well, as many have noted theirs were loose when doing the first 600 mile service.

'14 FJR1300ES
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 07:58 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Jackofjr,

But are you sure this "clunking" is coming from the forks? I would suggest getting the front end off the ground an seeing if anything is loose. The only way to really tell if the bushings are worn in the forks would be to remove the springs so you can move and measure any deflection.

Early days on my '05 I discovered a crack in the front fender where its mounted to the fork - 1/4 of the circle gone & crack extending into the fender. It made a bit of noise, especially at low speed, found it because I was removing the fender to get at the fork.

"Oh bother," sighed Pooh as he armed the photon torpedoes.

2005 FJR1300A
Chicago

Last edited by FlatTop; 11-13-2019 at 08:01 AM. Reason: initial post HTML error

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 08:15 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have serviced 3 sets of ES forks at 40-50k miles, and I doubt the forks are your problem. No bushing wear and the oil was clean. BTW, new bushings are only available as an assembly.... the upper fork tube.
To service the forks, you will need some special tools, one being a good fork spring compressor tool.

I'd recommend Neal's advice, you may have loose steering head bearings or some other loose part/missing fastener. Check the simple things first. The steering head bearings should have been checked in the first few hundred miles.

Also note the brake rotors are floating on their rivets and that can cause a noise... if you grab a rotor you may be able to rotate it a small amount and hear a click or clunk, e.g., grab brakes when in reverse, next application when going forward may exhibit a click/clunk, or vice versa. Normal until some road dirt builds around the rivets.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for the replies
I did some further searching and found the bushes are in the upper fork tube and I would have to replace it as a complete unit
This is my third FJR1300 and I'm familiar with the brake rotor noise , I would describe that as more of a clicking sound
I'm sure its not the rotors also sure its not head stem bearings

I will see what the " upper fork tubes " cost before I get anything done

My service manual lists the Upper Fork Tube as a spacer and no part number

If I decide to do anything it will be done by a independent mechanic not the local Yamaha dealer

Thanks again Regards Jacko
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 10:35 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Upper fork tube 1MD-23136-00... comes complete with bushings and seals if I read the parts manual correctly... MSRP U$218, Partzilla price U$140 EACH. I'll bet money your bushings are fine.... keep looking elsewhere, like that plastic shield at the bottom of the triple tree or a loose brake hose clamp.... er sumthin'.
Yes, check steering head bearings, retorque per the procedure but snug them up to 15-18 ft. lbs rather than the 13 Yammy says. That needs to be done anyway.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks Ray
I wont rush into anything yet , I will take your advice and have a good look and double check everything else
Regards Jacko
RaYzerman and Bill Lumberg like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 11:27 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Wheel bearings? I had to replace mine on the front at 40k (kms).
Not so much a clunk, more clicking / grinding noise while riding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page