2014 ES Fork Service - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 05:49 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The ES inner fork tube has a hole half way down that lets oil/air pass through, so yes, there is oil between the inner and outer tubes. The inner tube rides on two bushings one at the bottom (by the seals) and one further up. The clunk is a mystery to me... so I'm curious what is found....
In Jacko's case it seems more like a top-out noise, we don't normally hear that on 'A' forks due to the topout springs... and I can't recall what ES cartridges look like exactly in that area.
If a clunk occurs in a sideways motion, then..... even more mysterious.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Ok thanks for posting that very interesting
I posted the same video to our Ozzie forum and have just got reply from a owner that has the same bike as I have thats done 18k and his makes the same clunk .

I will get the service on the Forks and see if anything is different , I'm starting to think probably not ,

Regards Jacko
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for that info ,
I posted the same video to our Ozzie forum and a bloke has just posted a reply he has a FJR same model as mine that has only 18K on it
He has the same clunk in his forks clunk .
So its starting to sound like its just a ES thing

Regards Jacko

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Did some searching and dug up this interesting reading from the past........
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-f...ion-klunk.html

In particular this one got me in trouble elsewhere, and I did eventually learn the ES forks actually had bushings.....

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-f...ks-shimmy.html

The side to side play IMHO should not exist to any great degree. If it does, then the only explanation I have is that the upper bushing in the upper fork tube is missing... as in never installed by the fork/tube supplier, or knocked out of position by inserting the lower fork tube?. The only way to know is to disassemble the forks... you need a flashlight to see it. On the other end (the seal end), it is under the main seal, but any assembler guy could see it's there.
So that's all I can think of at the moment....

Ray
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I have read through all those older thread , it seems the Clunk is just a normal thing , I will still do the fork service just to freshen up the oil if nothing else .

What weight oil do they take ( shop will know ) is there any reason I possibly should go one grade heavier or lighter ?

The shimmy - shimmy - shake , all 3 of my FJR's have done that . I tried everything that was mentioned with the first FJR to try and find a cure and never did .

The fix is don't let go of the bars .

Last edited by Jackofjr; 01-23-2020 at 09:01 AM.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The clunk when topping out is perhaps explainable by this... the thing that keeps the forks together is the cartridge.. as the fork extends, it tops out on the cartridge. It can only top out to the maximum the cartridge extends. On the A model forks, there is a top-out spring on the cartridge which cushions that, so you would rarely hear any clunk from topping out. IF the ES has a top-out spring it would have to be small and internal to the cartridge... many USD forks don't have them.

Side to side clunk/play is a different animal.....

Ray
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I know its taken a while but I think I will be picking the bike up later today . I had a look at the forks when they were apart , nothing obvious , no crunched up bits fell out the oil was discolored a bit , so they were reassembled with fresh oil and seals , shop rang me to say the clunk was a bit better but still there ,
I suppose that means no different . The inner fork tubes cost $460 each here in Au but there wasn't any in the country anyway .

So buggered if I know , just keep riddin I guess .

Regards Jacko .

Yep picked the Bike up and as I expected its just the same

Last edited by Jackofjr; Yesterday at 02:01 AM. Reason: added some info
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I have noticed a clunk on my 2016 ES since I test rode it. I even mentioned it to the dealer, but they said it was the floating rotors. So I bought the bike. I have since tightened the steering as per spec, looked all over the front of the bike, but have been unable to determine the root cause. I don't actually have anywhere near the clunk the OP shows on his YouTube video when simply moving the forks up and down. My clunk is only noticeable while driving at lower speeds at rough pavement...so I have decided to live with it as it doesn't bother me at all once I get on the "real" roads.

I have never serviced my forks though, but maybe one day...
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortenk View Post
I have noticed a clunk on my 2016 ES since I test rode it. I even mentioned it to the dealer, but they said it was the floating rotors. So I bought the bike. I have since tightened the steering as per spec, looked all over the front of the bike, but have been unable to determine the root cause. I don't actually have anywhere near the clunk the OP shows on his YouTube video when simply moving the forks up and down. My clunk is only noticeable while driving at lower speeds at rough pavement...so I have decided to live with it as it doesn't bother me at all once I get on the "real" roads.

I have never serviced my forks though, but maybe one day...
Yep it looks like its just a ES thing , like I said above its no different since the Fork Service , its not the brake rotors , this is my 3rd FJR
I know the noise the rotors make .

How many miles has your 2016 done , my 14 has done 75K about 46 miles .

Regards Jacko
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old Today, 02:51 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofjr View Post
How many miles has your 2016 done , my 14 has done 75K about 46 miles .

Regards Jacko
My 2016 ES currently has 22k miles on the clock, 16k of those put on by me. What puzzles me most about the clunk is lack of consistency. On most days I will notice it as I roll down the hill from my house, but on some days it's not there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page