Centerstand deployment - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 96Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Centerstand deployment

I just bought a 2013 FJR. As I have a small garage I bought a park and move from Redline engineering . I find that not only can I not get the center stand deployed by itself but if I try to put it on the dolly, the dolly moves even with the wheels locked. I don't understand why the center stand is so hard to use I'm 5-9 260 and a bodybuilder so it's not that I'm weak but I just can't get it on the center stand alone. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 07:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
It might be your technique. Where are you placing your right hand for lifting?

Another possibility is that if you bought it used then the P/O may have lowered the bike. If so you might need to roll the rear wheel up onto a 1 thick board before trying to deploy the center stand.
wengland, GuitarDave and 2GENAE like this.
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 07:48 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfcrown View Post
I just bought a 2013 FJR. As I have a small garage I bought a park and move from Redline engineering . I find that not only can I not get the center stand deployed by itself but if I try to put it on the dolly, the dolly moves even with the wheels locked. I don't understand why the center stand is so hard to use I'm 5-9 260 and a bodybuilder so it's not that I'm weak but I just can't get it on the center stand alone. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Anthony
Anthony,

The trick is not to lift the bike, exactly. You want to increase the distance between the lift handle and the foot pedal that is used to hold the centerstand down on the pavement. The lift handle is pulled up and back, while you apply as much body weight as you can to the foot pedal. Boots or strong shoes are good here. It helps to roll the rear wheel up on a piece of 2x4 lumber to make this lift easier, at first. With some practice, you can use a thinner board, or no board. More:

https://youtu.be/mbn_cpWUIJg

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/934682-post10.html

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1180153-post3.html
bounce, wengland and 2GENAE like this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$25.00).

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 10:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

The bike must be lowered if you are having that much difficulty. For me, it is the easiest bike I have ever had getting on the center stand. If anything, I am more worried that I use too much force getting it up and it rolls too far forward right off the center stand.
wengland, passx, FjrjrF and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I checked and the top of the fork tubes are flush with the triple tree , is there a way to look and tell if the rear has been lowered ? I also tried the wood under the rear tire and got it on the centerstand once but it really shouldnt be as hard as it was .
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 10:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

How high is that Park&Move off the ground.... you're not the only one I heard having issues with one.... likely at least 1/4"..... the board under the rear tire will be the answer.
bounce and FjrjrF like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

PNM is 3/8" off the ground ... that's the other part of the problem , I've seen some videos where they tell you to lock the wheels on it and others that tell you to leave the wheels loose. I did get it up on to the park and move once but it didn't look or feel secure and almost went over , I guess I'll have to have someone hold it as the center stand goes down on it. Thanks to everyone for the help 😊
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 11:17 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Centerstand deployment

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfcrown View Post
I checked and the top of the fork tubes are flush with the triple tree , is there a way to look and tell if the rear has been lowered ? I also tried the wood under the rear tire and got it on the centerstand once but it really shouldnt be as hard as it was .
Anthony,

Look at the rear shock assembly. If the links (dogbones) on each side of the shock are like 1/8" thick steel with a slight center ridge, they are stock and the rear has not been lowered. Gold metal or turnbuckle style dogbones are lowering links.

BTW, welcome to the FJR sandbox.
2GENAE likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$25.00).
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Yep , stock links . And thanks Red 👍
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Unread 11-09-2019, 01:31 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
@acfcrown : using the PNM under the bikes center stand is going to have the same effect as lowering the bike. The PNM is 3/8" off the ground which doesn't sound like enough on its own to cause a problem but when you add it up (3/8" space under it + 3/8" steel thickness + 1/4" diamond plate thickness) you are talking 1 inch total,,, yeah, you'll definitely need to have the back tire up on a piece of 2x8 or 2x10 or something else 1-1/2"thick. I haven't done this myself but I would lock all 4 PNM wheels when deploying the center stand onto it. Stability after its up on there is a whole different issue.

Before buying my FJR a couple of months ago I tried deploying the center stand on the show room floor. I grabbed the obvious rear part of the bike next to the passenger seat and knew right off it was way too hard to do. On the next attempt my right hand went searching for a better handhold and almost immediately found the "handle" beside the rider seat. It was sort of like my right hand was saying "this big boy needs a grab spot right about here" and there it was. I rolled up onto the center stand easily... and it was parked closely between a brand new Eluder and a brand new GoldWing,, talk about pressure...
passx likes this.

Live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't F*** mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in