Windscreen stays up after ignition is off. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Northerncavefish

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Windscreen stays up after ignition is off.

Hi folks.

I have a 2004 Yamaha FJR1300 which I've just purchased.

It has 30000km on the clock.

Every time that Id switch the bike off my screen would stay up- I thought this was normal...however today after my ride I put the ignition of and took out the key, the neutral light stayed on despite the ignition being off..about 3-4 seconds afterwards the light went off and the screen went down.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 04:59 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I have a 2003 and that should be the normal behavior. After the ignition is switched off the neutral light is lit and windshield goes down, once down everything shuts off.
If it did not do that before then maybe the PO modified it to keep the screen up and whatever modification they did has now failed or has intermittent connections.
bounce likes this.

2003 FJR1300
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 08:24 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It sounds like an intermittent connection of some kind... The mod was removing the jumper wire connector at/near the windshield motor.... Your windshield would not go down if that was missing.
On Gen1 there was a multi-way connector forward of the engine up by the steering head (somewhere there, I never owned one)... several reported this connector sometimes became corroded and funny stuff would happen... cleaning it up restored things to normal... perhaps check there?

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
It sounds like an intermittent connection of some kind... The mod was removing the jumper wire connector at/near the windshield motor.... Your windshield would not go down if that was missing.
On Gen1 there was a multi-way connector forward of the engine up by the steering head (somewhere there, I never owned one)... several reported this connector sometimes became corroded and funny stuff would happen... cleaning it up restored things to normal... perhaps check there?
Where do I find this connection?

Thank you.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerncavefish View Post
I have a 2003 and that should be the normal behavior. After the ignition is switched off the neutral light is lit and windshield goes down, once down everything shuts off.
If it did not do that before then maybe the PO modified it to keep the screen up and whatever modification they did has now failed or has intermittent connections.
The fact that the neutral light stays on, sounds strange to me specially as the light has nothing to do with the scree..or am I wrong?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:20 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR noob View Post
Hi folks.

I have a 2004 Yamaha FJR1300 which I've just purchased.

It has 30000km on the clock.

Every time that Id switch the bike off my screen would stay up- I thought this was normal...however today after my ride I put the ignition of and took out the key, the neutral light stayed on despite the ignition being off..about 3-4 seconds afterwards the light went off and the screen went down.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?
I disabled mine as do many owners. It's a removal of a jumper. If the jumper is gone or modified, then a replacement isn't costly.

http://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/shield/shield.html

Also, there are on-line circuit diagrams like this one (page 8-64).

http://ironbrothersmc.com/motors/Yam...ice_Manual.pdf

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 11-07-2019 at 10:30 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Training wheels fitted!

the neutral light is on only because the bike is still "on" until the screen goes down, then it completely shuts off. As you can tell Im not overly mechanical but this just my experience. I can't tell you where to find the connector, Im sure someone else will chime in.

2003 FJR1300
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Thanks for that! I have checked the bridged connector in the fairing (the little black wire with the two pin plug in the photos you attached).. it looks clean and im sure thats not the problem as I eleven bridged it with a screwdriver to make sure.

So where is the connector infront of the engine that you mention?

Stupid question but is a 04 model a gen 1?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:34 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The multi-way connector should be rearward of the steering head, forward of the engine, more or less in the middle as far as I know. As I said, I never had a Gen1 )'03 thru '05), but others have found corrosion there and had to clean it up.
In looking again at the wiring diagram, that connector services all the left handlebar switches... perhaps follow that wiring down from the switches to the steering head area... worst case, may have to lift the tank. Looks like a 13-way with 11 wires and 2 unused cavities.

It may also be possible there is some intermittent contact within the windshield switch itself, maybe take that housing apart and give it a spray with contact cleaner and work it a few times.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page