Fuse Block / Power Distribution Block Placement - Near Battery or Under Seat? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
View Poll Results: Where did you mount your fuse block?
Under Seat 7 87.50%
Near Battery 1 12.50%
On Frame 0 0%
Other Location 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 07:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

On my '07, I had the PC-V tucked under the seat latch area but off to the side away from the latch. My tray was full of a cruise control servo/reservoir.... on the '14 I put the PC8 in the tray as in the photo, then ran all my wiring. Thin piece of foam over it and have other items stored on top of it. Lots of room..... depends what else you're storing under there.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Thanks all. Purchased a fuse block with an integrated ground bus for under the seat install.

Installing on my 2005 FJR.

Looking for a trigger wire for a relay so all accessories are switched off of the fuse block.

Have already added load to my brake light circuit with LED-lit Givi top trunk. Might have taped into my licence plate wires.

What about using tthr solenoid wire to the left locked storage bin as a relay trigger or so other + wire?

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Alright wiring experts!

Would really appreciate your help and comments here.

Lifted the gas tank and carefully ran a heat-shielded fabric wiring sleeve to protect the wiring to and from the battery.

Looked at spaces for a relay on my 2005 FJR1300. Too tight around the battery under the mirror mount. I'm going to mount the 30 amp 4-pin relay under the seat as shows below:

Now, I'm looking at the below wiring diagram and converting into action:

So the wiring plan:
  1. Pin 30 - run hot wire directly to + positive battery terminal with 30 amp in-line fuse
  2. Pin 87 - output direct to the + positive bus of the fuse block to feed main power
  3. Pin 86 - switch trigger running to the blue rear lights/license plate wire on the left side lower cowling on the clutch side of the bike (Posi-Tap)
  4. Pin 85 - run ground direct to the - negative battery terminal post

Then all I have to do to add a switched electrical device is to just connect the + and - sides to the fuse block and add the right rated fuse to protect as below:

yellow arrow - device ground (- ground)
red arrow - device power (+ positive)
orange arrow - fuse

Any improvements?

Logical?
carts likes this.

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)

Last edited by jtdunc; 11-30-2019 at 01:07 AM.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 05:14 AM
Farkle Trainee

I only run a Garmin and a com system, soon to be replaced with a blue tooth. So i just used a 30A car relay under the seat they are quite small and it has individual inline fuses. Again its wired up like any underseat fuse block but mine has inline fuses instead of the smarter fuse block, but the fuse block does take up a lot more space.

05 FJR Silver & Blue
19 plate MT10SP / crazy but i love it
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
I only run a Garmin and a com system, soon to be replaced with a blue tooth. So i just used a 30A car relay under the seat they are quite small and it has individual inline fuses. Again its wired up like any underseat fuse block but mine has inline fuses instead of the smarter fuse block, but the fuse block does take up a lot more space.
Thanks Polar. Anyone else that can help with my wiring questions?

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 05:49 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I use a FUZEBLOK FZ1. 30A relay is incorporated, however new relays are tiny and can easily fit under the seat.
For the trigger wire - buy a fuse piggyback - locate one of the accessory fuses (I used the glovebox power outlet fuse) install the piggyback with the extra fuse - run straight to pin 86.
Heavy fused wire to battery from pin 30. Earth to pin 85. Pin 87/87A to your block.

Whole wiring setup takes about 20 minutes. USE GOOD WATERPROOF CONNECTORS.

Rob

https://www.ebay.com/p/1448621559
bounce likes this.

2016 YAMAHA FJR 1300AE
2007 YAMAHA XVS 1300A
2004 SUZUKI INTRUDER - Sold
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:31 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Everyone has a different way, but i would run both the + and - wires to the fuze block and not rely on the frame. You can see others photos of the FZ1 module under the seat.
This pic is how I do the battery end.

Cheers, Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AddACircuit1.jpg (1.46 MB, 17 views)
bounce likes this.

2016 YAMAHA FJR 1300AE
2007 YAMAHA XVS 1300A
2004 SUZUKI INTRUDER - Sold
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
I use a FUZEBLOK FZ1. 30A relay is incorporated, however new relays are tiny and can easily fit under the seat.
For the trigger wire - buy a fuse piggyback - locate one of the accessory fuses (I used the glovebox power outlet fuse) install the piggyback with the extra fuse - run straight to pin 86.
Heavy fused wire to battery from pin 30. Earth to pin 85. Pin 87/87A to your block.

Whole wiring setup takes about 20 minutes. USE GOOD WATERPROOF CONNECTORS.

Rob

https://www.ebay.com/p/1448621559
@ROB - thank you.

I REALLY appreciate the photo and the details.

I just checked on my 1st Gen and the accessory fuse panel is not as accessible as on your bike.

I've already installed Skene LED flickering front and rear lights in addition to an LED brake light under my license plate.

Would love to identify my license plate wire and Posi-Tap that. Or maybe my glovebox solenoid wire up front?

Last edited by jtdunc; 12-02-2019 at 12:24 AM.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
Everyone has a different way, but i would run both the + and - wires to the fuze block and not rely on the frame. You can see others photos of the FZ1 module under the seat.
This pic is how I do the battery end.

Cheers, Rob
Yes, I'm running direct from the battery posts for + and -

No frame grounds!

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 12:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdunc View Post
Looking for a trigger wire for a relay so all accessories are switched off of the fuse block.

Have already added load to my brake light circuit with LED-lit Givi top trunk. Might have taped into my licence plate wires.

What about using tthr solenoid wire to the left locked storage bin as a relay trigger or so other + wire?
Under the seat, I tapped into the license plate through a 1 amp fuse to activate the relay, but I don't think the 2005 FJR has a license plate light.

A 30 amp automotive relay's trigger coil will pull less than .2 amps when energized, so as long as you fuse the line, you should not have any problem using the tail light.

You could use the accessory plug, but that would require running what I regard an unnecessary wire from from the front of the bike to the rear.

It's a good idea to fuse any accessory lines you add to the bike.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JohnC; 12-02-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page