fjr1300 as code sh__37 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

fjr1300 as code sh__37

I could really use some help. earlier this year I was getting the same code. I realized that I have mistakenly used 0-40 instead of 10-40 oil. I changed the oil and the problem went away. 2000 km later I got it againyesterday. I changed the oil but that was obviously not the problem. I changed the battery and that didn't help. reset code 84 and that didn't help. checked the clutch fluid was a little over max so drained out a bit. reconnected the shift actuator. any suggestions? I was getting a abs warning light before this happened. does that have any connection to the clutch electronic operating parameters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:02 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
here we go again with not knowing the year/model of the bike...

Live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't F*** mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Since you mention AS, I'll assume it is a Gen3 with YCC-S (AE in North America) and ES suspension... we never got that configuration over here, however the YCC-S system hasn't changed... Also assuming you have a service manual, if not you need one.
First off, I have never owned an AE so little experience, only what I read from others with YCC-S.

SH_37 is "Power supply to clutch or shift actuator is abnormal". It could be as simple as removing the electrical connector to the actuator, perhaps cleaning the connections with contact cleaner, a small amount of dielectric grease and reconnect so the connections are refreshed. That said, I have read SH_37 codes can appear with a good connection.
Another suggestion might be to grease up all the pivot points on the shift mechanism.

How long ago was the clutch fluid replaced? Another suggestion is to do a full bleed, which is quite the task on YCC-S, follow service manual. However (will have to look it up), getting fluid pushed through can be done via several ignition on/off cycles.
I would think the oil you use has little bearing on the issue, and code 84 is simply resetting the ES rear preload stepper motor... totally unrelated.
ABS light is normal on startup, and it should go out after you start riding, per owner's manual. I would recommend going into the diagnostics screen and reviewing what other codes are stored. Sometimes the ABS wheel sensors get corroded and can cause sensor faults to be stored. Remove them, clean them and smear a little dielectric or silicone grease on the mounting hole in the adapter and the sleeve on the sensors.
The YCC-S is separate from other systems on the bike and has its own ECU (SCU).....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

newbie mistake, sorry Junk Jacket had no intention of f/?#ing up your day. its a 2014 AS or I think AE in the states. electronic clutch, elctronic suspension.

Rayzerman....thank you for the detailed response. If you add the wrong oil it will lock the gears and throuh a sh__37 at ya. steep learning curve for me on this bike. and making more than my share of mistakes. I don't have my service manual handy, its at work. I'll get it and refer to the points you made tomorrow.

I rode around a nearby active volcano last week so some of the ash that flew up could have effected the pivot points so I'll do those.

I bled the clutch several months ago but only with a pump and not the way that is outlined in the service manual. didn't have a problem so I thought it was ok but I'll do it properly this week and see how that goes.

not sure if the abs is related or not but for the past week the abs light has been coming on a lot. a hard brake and it goes a way but eventually comes back on. but like you say if the YCC-S is seperate then obviously it is a seperate issue.

the diagnostic menu is upgraded from the 2015 model from what I understand. so I'm not sure how helpful the 14 is. it had a 61 with 89 under it and 62 with 1. the 84 I reset to 0

thanks again. I'll get on these suggestions. my stealer wants over 3k just for parts to replace everything so I want to cross everything else off the list before I even consider doing that.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 10:09 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Gordon, as ray says above clean your abs wheel speed sensors and give them a light coat of dielectric grease, my rear sensor was heavily corroded into the rear bracket and difficult to get out. I did the clean + lube things few years ago and when I did the service on my bike back in August the sensors were both clean and came out easily.

Now i’ll Add that with the”hit it hard” and the abs light goes out for a bitis exactly the same as my 14 did and the ONLY thing that fixed it was new front brake switch and relay, it was still under warranty so the dealer replaced the rear switch and relay swell as they checked marginal as well.

You can check the diagnostics page for the switch performance.

Also suggest that you add your bike and location to your signature line. It’ll help with diagnosing as well as maybe another helpful member maybe willing to help or want to meet up. Sorry but no active volcano’s near nw Indiana, but consider yourself lucky for having one of the VERYFASTESTCOLOR RED fjr’s ��,,,, welcome to the forum. Lot of really good people here.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 04:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Gordon, code 89 indicates also some kind of communication malfunction (intermittent connections??) between the ECU, SCU and meter assembly... listed under Diagnostic 61 where the fault codes are listed. In this case, 61 = 1 or 1 fault stored. Best see what codes return on your next ride.
In the case of EU bikes, I am not sure if that is the year the FJR got OBD, if so, that is a different fault history system requiring an OBD harness and reader. Over here, there is no difference between '13-'15, it changed in '16.
3k is a lotta loot, and Yamaha's diagnostic procedures may lead them to replace rather than do more diagnosis... here's hoping you don't have to go the spendy route.

Ray
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 04:41 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

gordon aren't you on facebook as well? i think we spoke about this recently

2006 fjr1300 50k silver. Iron butt fuel tank, Led pods, Corbin heated seat, all the touring fixings.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 05:07 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
... consider yourself lucky for having one of the VERYFASTESTCOLOR RED fjr’s ��,,,, welcome to the forum. Lot of really good people here.
Steve, Steve, Steve.... I may be mistaken, but the EU didn't get red for 2014, they got a couple of choices, Root Beer one of them, because they like to go way faster than red... well they did get a nice deeper metallic red back in 2002-3..... you can only wish yours was that fast!

Ray
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

can't live with it can't live without it

I bled the clutch using the actuator rod pull method. went quite smoothly. checked the connections to the actuators. no change

I'm quite dissapointed and feel helpless as what to do next. I'm wondering if the volcanic ash got into something and is blocking it from working. I can't really sell it as is but would love to just trade it in for another one.

yep Spicy wolf I am on several groups on facebook and perhaps you were one of the very helpful folks there that helped me solve this the last time.

I actually have the gray 14. I'm in Japan btw. the 14 doesn't have the new obd connector. a dealer hooked up his code reader and it told him very little. basically what I found using the bike diagnostic tool and the things to check were all the same as those listed in the service manual though he acted like it was all secret.

what to do what to do.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 09:18 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ray,, seriously,,,,, I do like that red, more like the red on my 76 g-Wing. The red of my very-fastest 2014 is nearly identical to the red of my 1980 cbx which coincidentally was the very fastest of that period,,,, I think There’s something to this red thing.

But that Euro-red is really nice, it would be nice on a 2020 fjr.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page