Gen 2.5 Winter Project - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Gen 2.5 Winter Project

I am thinking of a winter project to replace at least the instruments and cruise control on my low mileage 2012 bike with those from a Gen 3 donor bike.

Has anyone looked into this and found out how deep into the Gen 3 a person would have to go, and what obstacles would need to be overcome? And in the worst case, if one strips the Gen 2 to the frame, what parts still would not transfer?

Thanks for your experienced thoughts and keen insights!

Eric

2012 FJR 1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2019, 12:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You would have to be an electronics wizard to pull all that off... the Gen3 cluster is more of a computer now, e.g., has the turn signal flasher function and all the electronic menus. Might require a Gen3 ECU, which is absolutely not compatable with any Gen2 FI or ignition system. Then how would you integrate a Gen3 cluster into the fairings..... I wouldn't even think about it....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
Old 10-27-2019, 01:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
You would have to be an electronics wizard to pull all that off...
I don't think it would be that bad, but it wouldn't be a trivial (in the engineering sense) task, more like a lot of tedious work.

Let's see:
ECU, instrument cluster, FI system, handlebar controls.

New ECU, FI system, instrument cluster, and handle controls mean new wiring harness. New wiring harness means new ABS system. I don't know if the new instrument cluster can handle the addition power demands of incandescent lights front and rear.

Much simpler and cheaper to just sell your 2012 and buy a Series III.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I don't think it would be that bad, but it wouldn't be a trivial (in the engineering sense) task, more like a lot of tedious work.

Let's see:
ECU, instrument cluster, FI system, handlebar controls.

New ECU, FI system, instrument cluster, and handle controls mean new wiring harness. New wiring harness means new ABS system. I don't know if the new instrument cluster can handle the addition power demands of incandescent lights front and rear.

Much simpler and cheaper to just sell your 2012 and buy a Series III.
Thanks for these initial thoughts. The swap of ECU, FI system, instrument cluster, controls, wiring harness and ABS system might be manageable since they can all be easily lifted off a Gen 3 donor bike. And, the incandescent lights can be switched out for after market bulbs if the Gen 3 bulbs do not work. Possible difficulty with these items seems to be if the physical dimensions and mounting attachments are compatible with the Gen 2 bike. Would the cowling/fairing need to be exchanged? And which sub-frame would work better if the plastics are changed out?

Agree that selling my low mileage 2012 and buying a 2016 (love the low maintenance blue color) might make more sense. But have trouble spending the $3-5K difference just to get an easier reading speedometer and OEM cruise control And then again, what would I have to amuse myself with over the winter?
philharmonic likes this.

Eric

2012 FJR 1300A
Old 10-27-2019, 05:12 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
You have a winter there??
cra-z1 and TooManyBikes like this.

Live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't F*** mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
Old 10-27-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkJacket View Post
You have a winter there??
Yes, come November it starts gets right chilly in the mornings, and by January it is down to 35-40 until after 10 AM. Fortunately, come mid-March spring is on the way and the desert starts blooming after the winter rains. Most beautiful spring riding in So Cal and Southern Arizona in March!

Eric

2012 FJR 1300A
Old 10-27-2019, 07:55 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Put cruise control on your 2012 and call it a day. Or buy a Gen3 and save yourself countless hours and expense. This is just one project that shouldn't be undertaken.
Bernie, Gitbox, Jenks and 1 others like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
Old 10-28-2019, 05:21 PM
Farkle Trainee

You must really be bored to even think about doing this. About all you'll accomplish is devaluing your 2012 big time. No dealer would consider taking the bike in on trade and good luck trying to sell it yourself. You would have to pay someone to take it off your hands.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape
Old 10-28-2019, 10:08 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
You must really be bored to even think about doing this. About all you'll accomplish is devaluing your 2012 big time. No dealer would consider taking the bike in on trade and good luck trying to sell it yourself. You would have to pay someone to take it off your hands.
Perhaps that should be the primary consideration. Building one functional bike out of two salvaged bikes is one thing. Turning a functional bike into a Frankenbike is something different.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

On a similar vein, my first FJR was a 2004 sans ABS and I looked into retrofitting from a donor ABS version. Seemed at the time like a plausible idea. After doing the research on what had to be changed, which turned out to be a LOT, I gave up and just bought an FJR with ABS already on it.

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
...etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in