Gen 2.5 Winter Project - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 11:21 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyBikes View Post
Yes, come November it starts gets right chilly in the mornings, and by January it is down to 35-40 until after 10 AM. Fortunately, come mid-March spring is on the way and the desert starts blooming after the winter rains. Most beautiful spring riding in So Cal and Southern Arizona in March!
I wish winter was like that where I am. 35-40 until 10am isn't winter in the northeast.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 03:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Just b/c something can be done doesn't necessarily mean it should be done. But I suppose if someone has got a big enough hammer and very deep pockets, why not? I haven't the patience for such nonsense.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:27 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Just b/c something can be done doesn't necessarily mean it should be done. But I suppose if someone has got a big enough hammer and very deep pockets, why not? I haven't the patience for such nonsense.

Some hobbies are expensive,,,, if fact most hobbies are.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 07:55 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkJacket View Post
Some hobbies are expensive,,,, if fact most hobbies are.
Indeed, if recreation were free I wouldn't have to work to support my hobbies and habits. But things like the OP suggests , to me, cross the line from hobby to work. And with all things work-related, I get bored very quickly. Some folks are "built" for such adventures but I'm in that category.

Who was it that said something like, "if you want to kill a fun hobby, try doing it for a living."

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 11:41 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Here's the real rub... if one converts the Gen2 operating system into a Gen2, given the whole wire harness and all the plastic change, you're almost stripping a Gen2 down to the frame and starting over..... even though I have touched almost every nut and bolt on FJR's I wouldn't do it. I do get the fascination and the curiosity, but......

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 09:16 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
What year is your Gen-3 donor bike and your reason to not just repair that one? From your pondering that you have posted here it sounds like you would be willing to even pull plastic panels and fairings from the Gen-3 and put them on your Gen-2. To me that means the Gen-3 donor isn't a total basket case. Also from your first post you mentioned that your Gen-2 is of "low mileage", leading me to believe the Gen-3 has "high mileage", so to me (and probably only me) I'd be more willing to just put the "low mileage" engine into the Gen-3 bike which would also help pass an entire winter. Sounds so obvious that I must be missing something...

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 07:05 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyBikes View Post
Agree that selling my low mileage 2012 and buying a 2016 (love the low maintenance blue color) might make more sense. But have trouble spending the $3-5K difference just to get an easier reading speedometer and OEM cruise control And then again, what would I have to amuse myself with over the winter?
I've always tried to adhere to the KISS method when making modifications to improve things to my liking. A complete "Frankenstein-ing" seems a little overboard for your goals.

It reads that you have two things you are trying to accomplish here with the cruise and easier reading speedo. While I have only ridden my own '14 with the cruise control, I know that adding a aftermarket unit is a popular modification, across many makes of sport-tourers. Is there any real advantage to having a "factory" version in regards to function?

One obvious thing would be that you don't have to do the work involved with installing a aftermarket one into a tight area. But if you are considering swapping the entire electronic control package and possibly fairing to accomplish this, I would think an aftermarket install would not seem daunting to you.

Maybe someone who has owned both aftermarket and factory cruise versions can give some insight. Or, possibly someone who has a aftermarket version would let you try theirs on a meet-up to see if it would work for you.

As far as an easier to read speedo, could a change in contrast be the thing that corrects the issue?

https://www.ebay.com/i/263747690672?...SABEgK_HPD_BwE

The above pre-made one is in K/pH, but it is really nothing other than a vinyl sticker. A lot of sign shops would be capable of making whatever you wanted for your own custom version.

This would still provide you with an opportunity to disassemble your dash for your winter project without having to figure out what wires need different connections to make everything functional again.

'14 FJR1300ES
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks for your great thoughts and ideas.

It looks like the jury is no longer out, and with a quick 12 - 0 vote this idea is headed for oblivion. The biggest bullet that kills the idea is being reminded that nobody would buy this Gen 2.5 because only the owner would know enough of the mash up to work on it.

Been down this road before with putting a small block Chevy engine in an older Ford pickup truck. Although the truck ran fine, but no mechanic except myself knew the parts - 1962 Chev 292 with a Edelbrock (?) adapter to the Ford transmission, with a modified drive shaft and modified wiring harness. And selling it when I was moving out of state was almost impossible.

Just needed to be reminded of a lesson learned long ago!

Now to find another winter project!!

Eric

2012 FJR 1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page