2009 my first maintenance and she won't run smooth. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Unread 09-08-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

2009 my first maintenance and she won't run smooth.

Hey all I'm at a loss. I'm a novice wrencher and I have had my 2009 for five years where I average 5000 miles /yr on it. Never had any issues and I'd do the oil/tire changes. I recently hit the 50k mile mark and it was starting to run rough. I thought it might be a plug issue so I replaced them and all looked fine with the old ones as far as wear goes. In the process of getting to the plugs I broke the plastic barb off the fuel pump. I Ordered a used one from Ebay to try to save some $$ but that was a mistake as it didn't work(wires visibly worn thru insulation, didn't see fuel gauge on the display, didn't turn pump on when i bumped the key). I scavenged the exterior piece off the Ebay crap and installed it on the interior pump portion as that looked like it was new anyway. No leaks, Pump comes on for a few seconds when key hits on but I cant get her to stay running.
I used starter fluid and she'll run great till that is gone so I assume my spark plugs are all fine. I charged the battery over night and left it disconnected while doing so and this morning I can get it to start but she is sputtering and I'm working the crap out of the throttle to keep her struggling but she hasn't smoothed out.
I thought I might have air in the fuel rail but I would assume that it should have worked out by now. I disconnected the fuel line where it connects to the fuel rail and she pumps fuel when the pump is on so that seems right. I don't smell gas at the mufflers so I think its still starving for fuel.
Excepting all ideas for a solution....
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Unread 09-08-2019, 02:06 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

are you certain you installed the correct plugs, gapped correctly?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Unread 09-08-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Exact same as factory plugs and I gapped them 0.029"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Unread 09-08-2019, 04:32 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Test the fuel pressure. It needs to be ~50psi. The pump may be moving fuel where you see it come out of the line, but not enough pressure for the injectors to operate properly.

'14 FJR1300ES
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Unread 09-08-2019, 04:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

You should be checking the fuel delivery system, the fuel rail and injectors, transfer pipeline, discharge outlet from fuel pump, your starving the engine of fuel, witch to my thinking you have a restriction in the fuel system.
You will need to remove these items and flushing them, to remove any blockages. Keep us updated of your progress, all faults can be solved, it's a matter of elimination.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Unread 09-08-2019, 05:31 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Tilt the gas tank up 2 or 3 inchs and try again.
If the problem is gone then it's likely a pinch in the fuel line.
ReRose likes this.

Larry
2007 FJR1300A 35,000 miles (US version)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Unread 09-08-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Not sure how I can do that? Is there a specific spot to tap into? I don't see a schrader valve on the fuel rail.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Unread 09-08-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Alan I feel I'm ok on the fuel line but all symptoms point to it as the problem so I guess I'm going to have to drain the tank and see if the o-ring between the pump and the outer part of the fuel pump is good. I can see a slight amount of fuel moving inside the tank when I turn the key on and the pump runs. It doesn't look like much but maybe.

Bodie I've done that a few times and no difference...but thanks.

I was concerned it might be something special I need to do per Yamaha.

I'll play with later and update you all!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Unread 09-08-2019, 06:03 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFarmboy View Post
Not sure how I can do that? Is there a specific spot to tap into? I don't see a schrader valve on the fuel rail.
There's a special connector to tap in between the fuel rail and fuel hose/pump. Pricey from Yamaha. Not readily available.

Or, you can buy a new (or used) fuel line 5JW-13971-10-00, and make your own adapter. You will need a few misc fittings, hose clamps and ingenuity to put a port into the home built harness. You then plug in place of your fuel line between the pump and rail.

You will still need a fuel pressure tester gauge, but plenty of them available on the web. Cheap Fleabay ones for around $30. Get one that has the pressure bleed built into it. This keeps you from removing fittings with pressurized gasoline behind them

'14 FJR1300ES
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Unread 09-08-2019, 07:15 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Just to clarify how it is supposed to work... When the key is first turned on the fuel pump cycles for a few seconds, builds pressure in the fuel line/fuel rail and shuts off. When you crank the starter, the fuel pump should start to run again, although with all the noise you won't hear it.
You might want to remove the spark plug adapters (unscrew/pull) from the end of the wires, snip off 1/4" spread the strands and reinstall the adapters. This will ensure good spark connection.
OTOH, Do you have fresh fuel that's not been sitting... try some Seafoam in it to ensure accumulated water isn't an issue.
If I understand it right, your fuel pump is running and pumping, the question is fuel pressure and volume. If you do get it running, try very hard to let it warm up to one or two bars... FJR's don't like to be shut down cold or next time they will be in enriched starting mode/may not start/run poorly until they warm up.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in