Catalytic Converter removal/elimination - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By passx
  • 1 Post By fjroddy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Catalytic Converter removal/elimination

Hey all,

Curious as to what would happen if the cat was removed and a straight through exhaust system was installed on a gen 1 FJR1300? Would the ECU need to be re-programmed or flashed? Would performance improve? Worse/better gas mileage? Have any of you done this mod?

I'm not actually planning on doing this to my gen 1, just totally curious if anyone has done it, and if so what benefits or problems did you encounter.

Thanks!
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:50 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Jay, there is NO advantage to removing the cat, no performance gain at all. The fjr uses a honey-comb brick style cat that only restricts exhaust by the pipe size, nothing to gain by removing it and may actually kill your fuel economy.

I used to drag race my 94 dodge Dakota and was always looking to gain more power and all the internet experts claimed at least a 25hp gain by removing the cat so I did and found nothing, zilch, nada. The only thing I gained was a 4mpg loss of fuel eeconomy and a louder exhaust.

So I called the guy’s at More-flow who specialize in high performance cats and talking to the owner he started laughing at me as I told him my sad story, he said that that removing the cat performance gains was pure Internet myth and that pipe diameter affected things more than the cat did. So I would recommend not removing it since there’s nothing to be gained, which is the case with most modern emissions these days.
Bernie, RaYzerman and Teehaml like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:24 AM
FJR Top Gun

A certain amount of back pressure is necessary for an ignition engine to run well. Is more closely related to valve timing than fuel injection. When back pressure is lessened (and valve timing to accommodate) to maximize peak HP it comes at the expense of a narrower torque band. In other words, lower HP at lower RPM in exchange for higher HP at higher RPM. Perhaps in a racing environment this would be acceptable but is the opposite of what I want on the street.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:09 AM
Farkle Trainee

there are a few posts on it if you search. Delkevic also has a header system pretty cheap. I googeled fjr cats removed and a few posts came up.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:43 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The modern Japanese motorcycle is a carefully designed system. Unlike an old Harley, you just aren't going to find much bolt-on power. Even going the usual route: pistons, cams, exhausts, and a remapped EFI system (if you could afford it), wouldn't get you much. Displacement might, if you could figure out how to do it.

Even if you could do all of that, I suspect the limiting factor would be the air box.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

when some one mentions exhaust, some one wants to poop on it. If you custom paint a bike, it does nothing for performance or comfort. It's just something to spend money on. Some like to play, some don't. I'm not gonna remove my cats, but if I could find some whitewall tires
ReRose likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:58 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
The modern Japanese motorcycle is a carefully designed system. Unlike an old Harley, you just aren't going to find much bolt-on power.
Even a modern Harley-Davidson is designed like a coat rack: Deliberately detune the stock engine so as to sell Screaming Eagle Stage II, III, and IV kits.

I enjoy the effortless quiet power of my FJR. If I was willing to tolerate finicky uneven behavior in exchange for more power then I would have bought a KTM or similar.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for beating a dead horse. I should have done a search first. In retrospect, obviously this would have been discussed previously.

Kind of wandered a bit as usual with most forum postings, but still curious if anyone has done this and what their results or experiences have been with a complete new exhaust SYSTEM that eliminates the cat. I think someone mentioned removing other bits, and using a PCIII. Seems like a sensible approach to the possible problems of engine running different after removing all those parts.

My interests are mainly academic, because the FJR is a plenty powerful bike, so I'm not interested in more power. Heck, I've been 140 on mine a few times; that's plenty fast! I like the fact it's a reliable bike too, so making changes to the bike that would affect it's reliability don't interest me.

I think we can let this thread die. It's all been said before.

Jay
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 10:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Even a modern Harley-Davidson is designed like a coat rack: Deliberately detune the stock engine so as to sell Screaming Eagle Stage II, III, and IV kits.
Well, yes. Really big bucks there. But a lot of it is also a successful attempt to pass Federal noise requirements. If yo want to take a step backwards, look at an old, pre-EFI, German Harley. In Germany, insurance costs are (or at least, were up to the '90s), governed by BHP, not displacement. That is why I used to see hordes of little bikes and quite a few liter bikes, but not much in the middle.

Insurance costs were a large portion of the total cost of ownership. The step was at 27 bhp. Harley dealers there sold a carburetor restrictor plate that limited horsepower to 27 bhp. Can you imagine a 27 hp Harley? It wouldn't be able to get out of its own way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
I enjoy the effortless quiet reliable power of my FJR.
Much more accurate.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in