wiring question - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By poprivit

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

wiring question

Just picked up my first FJR - 2018 A. On the right side of the handlebars, down in the plastic, there's a black plug with a pop-on cover. Is this a direct hot line to the battery? Bike has only 1100 miles, and I've been able to put 300 on it before Las Vegas went thermal. Right now it's 108 at 2 pm.
I'm 74 and this is the first sport tourer I've owned. 52 years on H-D.
Previous owner neglected to tell me what happens when that long skinny black thing on the right bar is turned hard - my goodness! This could be interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1040304.jpg (145.8 KB, 27 views)
irishogre79 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I believe that's aftermarket and is likely a direct line to the battery. People often install this as a battery charging port for a trickle charger, but can also be used to power an accessory. If installed for accessory power, could be switched (only on when ignition is on or engine running) in which case it is not useful for charging.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 03:35 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

wiring question

Quote:
Originally Posted by poprivit View Post
Just picked up my first FJR - 2018 A. On the right side of the handlebars, down in the plastic, there's a black plug with a pop-on cover. Is this a direct hot line to the battery?
Poprivit,

IF that plug is an SAE connector, it is likely that it is a direct line to the battery. Battery Tenders use them to access the battery for charging. Use a voltmeter or test light to check if that connector has power at all times, even with the ignition key Off.

And yeah, that black thing on the right handlebar can run you right through the speed limit, anywhere. The FJR is sneaky-fast. You can be tooling nicely down the road, and a glance at the speedometer may say you are twenty over. Fair warning.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Sounds like a battery tender harness if it's a two-way SAE. Also under your seat at the back of the tray should be another harness with a cap on it, that is your OBD connector. You should pick up a harness and an OBD reader for checking diagnostic codes, otherwise you have to go to the dealer...

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 05:48 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I concur, looks like a Battery Tender connection. Pop the cap off and see if something like this -> http://products.batterytender.com/Ac...D-Display.html will plug into it. If so, it's pretty handy. I use it for battery charging plus at different times, there's a volt meter that fits, a usb adapter that fits, even the cord for my air compressor fits.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0538 a.jpg (580.8 KB, 8 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page