Can Digital Odometer be modded? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Can Digital Odometer be modded?

I just might buy another FJR...

I need to know if there is ANY way the digital odometer can be altered?

Any help appreciated.

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 06:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Generally, I'd say altering an odometer is probably illegal in all 50 states & may even be a federal crime. Heck, I bet even our friendly neighbors to the north have rules against it. Not too sure about Mexico though.

Now, if you would care to describe why you'd want to add miles to your odometer readout maybe someone can help, provided he/she/it is guaranteed not to be prosecuted as an accessory. Surely you're not wanting to cheat someone by removing miles are you?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I highly recommend everyone avoid giving advice about odometer alteration until you thoroughly understand and are fully prepared to suffer the legal consequences. Even then, doing so on a public forum or leaving a record anywhere anytime is probably not too smart.
passx likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 07:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

After reading this several times I still canít understand why someone would want to alter the odometer except to illegally remove miles. If indeed that is the case it really speaks of a persons character that they would be wanting to cheat a fellow human being in this manner. Says a lot.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 07:46 AM
Farkle Trainee

I believe the OP is merely asking if a bike he is about to purchase could of had the odometer modified. RBentNail is absolutely correct.
However, I don't think the OP is wanting to modify the odometer, just wants to make sure the seller wasn't able to. I least, I hope that is the question.
If that is the question, I don't think Yamaha (or any bike manufacturer) would make it easy to do. And anyone who may of cracked the code would not post it on any reputable site such as this. I'd recommend simply looking the bike over in detail. If the bike looks like it's been ridden hard for thousands of miles yet only has hundreds on its OD, well.... . Also, if the engine was changed, I don't think (or haven't heard) of anyone changing the OD; rather (most if not all) post that mileage is blah blah but engine was just changed....

That's my $.02....
bounce, Bill Lumberg and Damir like this.

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 07:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Short answer, no.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 08:54 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Put it in reverse and run the odo back. It work for Beuller.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:36 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gen2 View Post
I just might buy another FJR...

I need to know if there is ANY way the digital odometer can be altered?

Any help appreciated.
That's a good question, I am sure it would take a good 5min for an experienced computer hacker. I strongly believe that: anything "man-made" can be "man-UN-made".

Like you I also sometimes get skeptical when I see 5 year old bike For Sale with "only" 2000 km on ODO? You think within a first couple years the owner would realize; "maybe biking it's not for me, better sell it while the bike is younger, and sell it for more money". Also how do one knows if the whole digital cluster was not replaced with a one that has less mileage? I guess one of the things you can do before buying a used bike, maybe check with the local dealers that did any service work on that (VIN#) bike as they always record mileage.

But I believe that most motorcycle owners are honest people, and nobody would do such a bad thing, and rewind the total mileage.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 02:25 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
You think within a first couple years the owner would realize; "maybe biking it's not for me, better sell it while the bike is younger, and sell it for more money".
I have two wonderful examples of people buying a bike and not riding it.

The first was a college dorm mate who thought riding a motorcycle would be fun after seeing me ride. He managed to put less than 300 miles on his bike in 4 years and after that I lost track of him. The bike is probably sitting in a garage somewhere.

The second example is my son who bought a Honda CBRR1000 and put less than 500 miles on it in 6 years. Even in Texas he could not find a road that allowed him to get out of 3rd gear. He also discovered the bike was not comfortable on "long" (150 mile) rides and there was no place to carry anything. He never did do the 600 mile service. I tried to convince him not to buy the bike to begin with, but it was an impulse purchase. Afterward I kept reminding him that since he was not riding the bike, he should sell it, but he did not like the idea of "losing" all the depreciation. Well, he finally sold it.

So there are legit stories out there of very low mileage rides waiting to be found.

A Harley dealer told me he sells lots of bikes to guys who don't know how to ride, but he delivers to their garage. I will bet those bikes probably are not ridden either.
slowdave likes this.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:18 PM
rgb
Training wheels fitted!

A bike with unusually low mileage is quite common in the Harley world. People buy them, park then in the garage, wax and ogle over them and then decide that motorcycles are not the thing they want. Then someone like me comes along and buys it, rides it and sends it to the next loving owner.

Could the odo on an fjr be changed? Someone could probably do it but the reward/reward would not make it worth it. A vin check at a dealer looking for service/repairs would probably point out any discrepancies pretty quickly.
bounce likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have a 2008 ZX14 that has 5300 miles on it and a 2001 ZRX1200 with 16,000 miles and the wife has a 2015 650 Vulcan with 600 miles. I got my new 2015 FJR in Nov 2016 and only put 700 miles on it in 2 years. I started riding with BTL68 in Sept 2018 and now getting ready to turn 7000 miles on the FJR. I worked 7 day weeks and with only 6 miles to work it was not worth the ride. Lots of low milage bikes for lots of reasons.
slowdave likes this.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page