Throttle Body Sync Gen 4, 2016 FJR1300A - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Throttle Body Sync Gen 4, 2016 FJR1300A

Hello fellow FJR owners,

I have just read many of the posts on this site, in my search for all the information I can get on how to do my first Throttle Body Synchronization. I am riding a 2016 Gen 4 FJR1300A.

I have a few questions, and they mostly are about the really nitty gritty little stuff that seems to be being left out. Here they are:

1. After raising the tank, to get at the throttle body nipples, I find that I cannot reach them all. Some are 5-6 inches below pipes and hoses on the surface of the motor, and very hard to reach. I'm pretty sure that I will have to remove the gas tank, then hook up the Carbtune, and then hook the gas tank back up, to get at the 4 necessary hose hook up locations. Has that been your experience?

Brian at TwoWheelObsession does a very good video on how to do a TBS, but he is working on a Gen3 2014 bike. I'm on Gen 4, and just don't see how I can do this without removing the tank to get at the necessary areas.

2. Also, I cannot find a suitable tool that will assure that I can get the little ring clips and black caps off without losing them into the abyss of the motor. Any tool suggestions?

3. The TBS adjusting screws are just forward of the rear of the gas tank, and face toward the rear of the gas tank. There is probably no more than 4-6 inches of room between the rear end of the gas tank, and the two inside TBS adjustment screws. With the engine nice and hot, as required to do a TBS properly, and the gas tank overhanging the work area, I just can not see me getting in there with out removing the tank, and having it hooked up , but out of the way. Does that sound right?

I replaced the plugs while I was under the tank, yesterday. That was the very first time I have done a spark plug change. I found it a little tricky getting the ignition coils out of the wells they are plugged into, but followed TwoWheelObsessions instructions about twisting them around first, and then used a small pry bar (a cats paw) to gently break the seal. I am telling you this so you will understand that I am capable of working under there somewhat.

As an aside, I took photos of the TBS job as I was getting stuck, thinking they would illustrate the problem, but in fact they make it look easy , because I held the camera under the gas tank when taking the photos. From that angle, it makes the work area look down right spacious!

The bike is now running very well when hot, but sounds a bit weak on start up, like it might stall.

Thanks for reading, and any information would be most appreciated.

Ride Safe,

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:18 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhLuckyMan View Post
Brian at TwoWheelObsession does a very good video on how to do a TBS, but he is working on a Gen3 2014 bike. I'm on Gen 4, and just don't see how I can do this without removing the tank to get at the necessary areas.
You have a "Gen 3" and the only difference is the 2014 is red and yours is blue.

Bryan (note spelling) talks too much and isn't highly regarded among many. Yes, you have to remove the tank contrary to what His Excellency says. Its really hard, you have to take the nut off the bolt at the seat which you already loosened. The fuel line has a quick disconnect that might wee a bit when opened. Plus there is a vent hose.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Hi N4HHE,
Thanks for the reply.
In creating my profile on this website, they ask you which year of FJR you have. When I chose 2016, this site specified that it is Gen 4. Up to that point I was not sure about that. My bike is charcoal gray in color.
As you suggest, I'll disconnect the tank to hook up the Carbtune, then reconnect it to adjust the throttle bodies. Is there any need for concern about air bubbles in the fuel line?
Do you have any suggestions for removing those little black caps that have the little ring clips on them?
Thanks

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:35 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Let the clips fall where they may, you don't need them. My '07 hasn't had any since '08. Some of the handiest grabber thingies I have came from Harbor Freight- long straight & curved needle nosed pliers and hemostats (eta- they call them 'clamping pliers'). You can grab nearly anything anywhere with them. And if you drop/lose a cap, no biggie. Auto Zone and O'Reilly's parts stores have replacements cheap. 5/16" fits perfectly.

For removing the clips I used a couple picks from the set I got at...... guess where..... Harbor Freight. I have both the normal ones with handles and the set that looks like dental tools. I don't use them often but they sure are handy when I need them.

https://www.harborfreight.com/11-in-...ers-64089.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/11-in-...ers-64088.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-inc...amp-94952.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-1-2...amp-65711.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...ugg_q=pick+set
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piec...ugg_q=pick+set

In case you can't tell, I have a Harbor Freight store close by. About a mile, very convenient . Lowe's, Home Depot, Northern Tools, auto parts places- they all have them.
N4HHE likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rbentnail; 08-25-2019 at 05:47 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You've got all that PAIR system plumbing in your way too. I grab the caps with long handled needle nose or hemostats, give them a little turn to loosen them then gently pull them up. The clips are not needed if you re-use the caps, but I usually replace them with more substantial and longer caps.

Short thin handled screwdriver to adjust the sync. Gen3 runs on minimal vacuum, so one screw will be in all the way and painted white, that is your reference. If can't quite get perfect balance, back that one out 1/8-1/4 turn and re-sync.
No worries about air in the fuel line, system pressurizes when you cycle the fuel pump. You may not even have to undo the line, but prop the tank up (~11" piece of wood with two pins in it) to remove the two electrical connectors and remove the insulation pad. Lower it, remove the back bolt and slide the tank back, re-connect the electrical.
I see some futz with the fuel line on the tank itself, instead I take the more convenient side quick-connect off, slide orange keeper out, press the two gray tabs. Best let the bike sit a bit to dissipate some pressure, some fuel will spill, put a rag or towel under the fitting when you remove it.. It only has to be warmed up enough to prevent the cold start feature, no need to be "hot", more like nicely warm. If you have your sync tool all hooked up and it goes on fast idle, simply let it warm up, no biggie.

Regarding the PAIR system for '16 up, if you remove/plug/install PAIR covers, you have to leave the solenoid connected (no hoses) as it will cause an error code.... get yourself an OBD harness and code reader..
I'd call 2016+ Gen3+ with a 6 speed tranny...

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:58 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

2016 and up are widely regarded as gen IV. But it isn’t universal. I’m not aware of any difference when doing a TBS between a 14 and a 16. Russ and Ray are about as good as you’ll find, advice wise. They’ve done it all.
passx, bishopchip and H20man like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 08-25-2019 at 07:00 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:22 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Russ, I HATE Harbor Freight ! I canít get out of that place for less than $100 !
rbentnail, N4HHE, ReRose and 1 others like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:59 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Russ, I HATE Harbor Freight ! I canít get out of that place for less than $100 !
Yeah, that's why I never go to "shop". My only trips are when I need something right now. In, buy, out!!
N4HHE and H20man like this.

Russ
2007A

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
You have a "Gen 3" and the only difference is the 2014 is red and yours is blue.

Bryan (note spelling) talks too much and isn't highly regarded among many. Yes, you have to remove the tank contrary to what His Excellency says. Its really hard, you have to take the nut off the bolt at the seat which you already loosened. The fuel line has a quick disconnect that might wee a bit when opened. Plus there is a vent hose.
Just wondering why Bryan is not Highly Regarded among many.
N4HHE and H20man like this.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A

2013 Honda GL1800 Goldwing ABS

2004 Honda ST1300 ABS
Rest In Peace!!!!!!!!

2005 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

2003 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

1992 Honda ST1100

1996 Honda GL1500 Goldwing

1994 Kawasaki Voyager

1983 CB1000 Custom

1972 Kawasaki G4TR
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Yeah, that's why I never go to "shop". My only trips are when I need something right now. In, buy, out!!
Yepper, I go in to get something I need and presto-bingo $100 later iím Wondering what the ďhĒ happened...... did I mention that iím A tool junkie ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page