Strange buzzing noise barely above 3K RPM - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By the Ferret

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Strange buzzing noise barely above 3K RPM

I've recently bought FJR1300 from 2005. Now the bike has exactly 71200 kilometers on the clock. In the official Yamaha service at the 68k kilometers it had checked valves clearance, throttle body settings checked, etc. I've found very strange issue with the bike. When I ride it and reach 3k RPMS - everything is great, no odd noises. When the dial comes barely above 3000 value on the clock, the bike starts buzzing. I can't find out where is this buzz located. It doesn't feel like from the engine. When I reach just a little higher RPM value, the buzz is gone. Just silence. Buzz comes only with this very TINY range of revs, it happens on every gear, except for Neutral gear. As I said, bike is buzzing only on this revs range, when I hold the throttle, it woll be buzzing till I slow down or speed up. I know it sounds super strange but this buzzing drives me crazy. Beside that, everything works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:06 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

It's an inline 4 cylinder, so you are going to have that. It is an inherent part of the physics of the design. The larger the displacement, the more noticeable it can become. This usually occurs in the 3000-4000 range depending on engine displacement. That's why there are counter-balancers in the engine.

Some people don't have any vibration (Or don't notice it). Some people have it and and it is enough of an annoyance they try various solutions. Throttle body sync is the most common. Engine mounting bolt re-torquing, heavy bar ends, different grips. Although you didn't mention the buzzing in your hands, so yours may be a more seat of your pant chassis feel. Check all the fasteners.

Some of the issues can be chalked up to the FJR being so smooth everywhere else, little things become more of an annoyance that would be ignored on other bikes.

You have a Gen1, and each generation has some of its own unique "characteristics". There may be other specific generation solutions to try as well.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Farkle Trainee

As I read it he has a buzzing in a body part that occurs only at that rpm when the harmonic vibrations are just right. Maybe a piece of the fairing where a push pin has come loose. If it happened in neutral you could stand beside it and push on the plastic in different places until you find where the buzzing stops. When riding though you can only do it to the places you can reach.

I once had the same thing on another bike and by pushing on stuff I found it was in an aftermarket windshield (bracket) I had installed. Removed the windshield, no more buzzing.

On the CB forum there is a electrical connection inside the headlight that sometimes comes in contact with the headlight shell that causes buzzing at a certain rpm. By wrapping that connector in foam, it cures the buzzing.

These things are hard to find sometimes and drives you crazy when they are happening. You tend to run at that certain rpm just so you can hear it, even though you could go faster or slower and never hear it ha ha.
Redfish likes this.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

If bike works great, service haven't noticed any malfunctions, throttle body, cam chain tensioner (that newer not old failling one)are in great condition and they are checked, it only comes to checking fairings and any parts that can touch another elements. I can't unfortunately check it while engine is idling. Only when I am driving. It happens only in this tiny RPM area. On every gear, ofcourse. Fairings seem to be mounted correctly. I've rode it today again, I've put my head much lower and it feels like buzzing under the tank area, closer to the seat. And one more thing - buzzing doesn't make any noticeable vibrations. Only sound effect. Maybe I will mount my phone into holder and try to record this by voice recorder.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:42 AM
Farkle Trainee

Haven't put anything under your seat have you? extra tools etc. Pull the seat and look/feel around.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:45 AM
Farkle Trainee

Hello Burbon... and welcome aboard.
My '05 also makes a noticeable change in noise/feel/sound right about 3200 RPM.... just the nature of this engine IMO and no reason for concern.
I've been over my bike front to back over my 5 yrs of ownership and nothing is loose (panels etc) so I just consider this normal.
Regards,
Mr. BR
'05 FJR with 75K Miles (or ~120,000 km)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Haven't put anything under your seat have you?
Maybe you have right. In the rear storage I keep bag of original tools, in front storage I store reflective vest. Package with vest os to big to fasten the rubber belt, so it's free. I will get off all these items and check once again, thanks!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Easiest fix for that is a pair of earplugs

2016 FJR1300A
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:23 PM
Farkle Trainee

Go to the sex toy store and buy a dildo/vibrator. Using different speeds, move it around the plastic until you hear a feedback noise.

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page