ABS test fail now won't start! A WTF moment - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Unread 08-14-2019, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Unhappy ABS test fail now won't start! A WTF moment

So the ABS light on my 2007 bike was staying on, lotsa info in this forum about testing coupler. Bought one (ouch) from Japan and looked for matching coupler behind battery, found it down the fairing (at least its the only thing that looks right! 4 wires, Coupler bridges sky blue and black.) Checked out forums here, youtube guy. Followed the procedure: battery 12.8+; kill off, ignition onx 2 secs, start button x 4 secs, brakes on. nothing, not a thing. no pulse no codes no nothing. repeat.. no better.

It gets worse.. gave it a break, checked starting... kicks over but not firing up. not starting plus abs light still on.

clearly not my day.

love to hear any ideas!

any many thanks for the info already posted in this rolling encyclopedia!

cheers
D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Unread 08-14-2019, 03:52 AM
Farkle Trainee

Hi D and welcome to the forum

I suspect your abs unit may be seized up a flush with fresh fluid and keep cycling the abs may work.

As yours is a 2007 bike you need to check your earthing points - there called earth spiders on this forum for some reason. Do a search

As for the starting - have you left the kill switch off when testing the brakes?

You could have made your test harness - took me about ten minutes to make one from some bits in my electrical box

Hope you get it sorted then stick around the forum

05 FJR Silver & Blue
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Unread 08-14-2019, 06:08 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I suspect you may have a ground spider issue and would recommend checking those if you haven't ever. When you turn on the ignition, kill switch ON, does the fuel pump run?
Not quite sure the procedure you followed.... with the test harness in place, all you have to do is kill switch off, key on while holding both front and rear brakes. Or, ignoring kill switch, in gear and side stand down. Fuel pump will not run in either of those cases.
The ABS motor is not likely the problem, it should run whether you have ABS issues or not. The main 30 amp fuse for the ABS motor is on the starter relay, with a spare one there if you need it. There may be other fuses that control ABS function (I haven't checked an Owner's Manual to verify).
As for your ABS lights on, if your wheel sensors have corrosion, you will get ABS errors. The aluminum adapter plate corrodes and the aluminum oxide bridges onto the steel sensor. Caution trying to remove them, they can be very tight, getting ham-fisted will break the plastic sleeve, best use some penetrant and work them loose by trying to rotate them a bit back and forth.
You should also check diagnostic codes in DiAG mode. That may also point you to potential issues.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Unread 08-14-2019, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks and yep I cleaned and put back every connection I could find, earths and otherwise. And yes there are a few fuses it could be so I'll check them tomorrow. And I'll find Diag mode. Looks to me like something I did wrong in the ABS test, so no power = break in circuit,fuse, spider or just plain broken!

Will advise. D
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Unread 08-14-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks and yep spiders are on the list, and its def something specific to ABS. Will let you know how it goes. D
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Unread 08-14-2019, 09:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

To enter DiAG mode, press and hold both the Reset and Select buttons, ignition on and hold for a further 8 seconds. Release and then hold for an additional 2 seconds. Use Select or Reset to scroll through the codes. Shop manual has the tables you need, Sec. 8-40 etc. I doubt you broke anything.
bounce likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Unread 08-14-2019, 12:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussi dave View Post
So the ABS light on my 2007 bike was staying on...

It gets worse.. gave it a break, checked starting... kicks over but not firing up. not starting plus abs light still on.

cheers
D
Dave, You mean the starter is cranking, turning the engine over, but it does not run now?
Interesting, frustrating I am sure.

Basics: Squirt, suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Repeat.
I'd start with spark... what a PITA to even get there!

Go back over everything you fingered, check the fuses and any electrical connections you messed with.

Let us know what you find and how you get back to base line please.
I can't imagine.

If its got teats or tires, your bound to have trouble with it...
Yamaha 07' 1300-AW
Yamaha 79' XS1100-SF

Kurt
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Unread 08-14-2019, 06:02 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

ABS test fail now won't start! A WTF moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussi dave View Post
So the ABS light on my 2007 bike was staying on, lotsa info in this forum about testing coupler. Bought one (ouch) from Japan and looked for matching coupler behind battery, found it down the fairing (at least its the only thing that looks right! 4 wires, Coupler bridges sky blue and black.) Checked out forums here, youtube guy. Followed the procedure: battery 12.8+; kill off, ignition onx 2 secs, start button x 4 secs, brakes on. nothing, not a thing. no pulse no codes no nothing. repeat.. no better. It gets worse.. gave it a break, checked starting... kicks over but not firing up. not starting plus abs light still on.
love to hear any ideas!
cheers
D
Dave,

Did you start the engine briefly, then shut it down cold, during your testing?
If you did, you will confuse the he11 out of the fuel injection system, and then the engine will be very hard to start. Never happened to mine, but the only cure I know is full throttle and prolonged cranking, maybe for a full battery charge worth, and more. Why, I do not know, but the problem then is flooding, and it takes cranking time to get the FI system back to where the engine will start. Since the engine ran before with the ABS light on, I'm guessing that nothing else is wrong, and you will still have the ABS light on after it finally starts again.

Whenever you start the FJR engine from cold, do not shut down the FJR engine until you have the engine fully warmed up.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Unread 08-14-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

OK ta, thats news to me will see about it. the code that came up on di01 was 16 which seems to be throttle sensor so I'll try the fully open model.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Unread 08-14-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks the code 16 came up. my version of the shop manual does not have general diag codes... what is 16?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in