Very little brake pedal (rear) - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Unhappy Very little brake pedal (rear)

2008 AE with 63,000 pampered and well maintained miles. I cannot step on the brake pedal and get any braking like I have been used to. If I pump it a couple of times I can get some braking. If I slowly go down with the pedal, it will go almost to the bottom before I get any braking. Fluid is full. Zero leaks anywhere....ever. After my last long ride, about 1,500 miles I had let the bike sit in heated garage for a couple of years. It has been in a heated garage all of its life and the only wet is rain if I cannot avoid. I started riding a little recently and noticed the problem. I have stabbed the pedal, hard, several times, thinking there was a stuck valve...no change. I hope I do not have serious ABS or other valve issues as I am planning a 4,000 mile trip late September. What are your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:26 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Very little brake pedal (rear)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mountains View Post
2008 AE with 63,000 pampered and well maintained miles. I cannot step on the brake pedal and get any braking like I have been used to. If I pump it a couple of times I can get some braking. What are your thoughts.
2mountains,

Sounds like you need to bleed the brakes. I assume that the AE has linked brakes, so you need to bleed one of the front calipers first (using the rear brake pedal), then the rear caliper. You can find the exact procedure in old posts, here. Maybe somebody here can chime in with that process, or a link to that process.

I can give you an added tip, here. You may not be happy with the final results if you just raise your foot to let the brake pedal come up each time, during the bleeding process. You will get much better results if you side-step the brake pedal each time, letting the brake pedal return upward as fast as the return spring can do it.
passx likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks Red. I did question in my own mind the introduction of air. But I will give it a shot.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

manual suggests every 2 years flushing the brake system. Some suggest every year. If it has never been done it is time
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:57 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Earlier this year, I had to open the brake system up after a year. The brake fluid looked OK (slight discoloration). Because I had plenty of brake fluid in the container, I decided to do the clutch also. The clutch fluid, though, looked pretty dirty.

I changed this service interval to annually.
2mountains likes this.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:47 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/11-...t-harness.html

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:53 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Very little brake pedal (rear)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mountains View Post
Thanks Red. I did question in my own mind the introduction of air. But I will give it a shot.
2mountains,

Yeah, don't ask me where the air comes from, even though I do have some theories.

The real hazard with old hydraulic fluid is moisture. If the water trapped in a caliper gets too hot, you may be faced with a caliper that is trying to lock up by steam pressure, which only gets worse until you stop. You can also lose all braking from that part of the brake system, leaving you with only half the brakes that you should have. The cure is a regular schedule of bleeding, of course. The manual gives you the maximum intervals, sure, but feel free to do the bleeding at somewhat more frequent intervals, as you wish.

SpeedBleeders will make the entire bleeding process into an easy, one-person process. SpeedBleeders.com will know the sizes needed for the FJR. You can use SpeedBleeders on all of the brakes, and also for the clutch slave cylinder. They have a nifty bleed tube and fluid catch bag kit, to keep things neat, which I recommend highly. It is not hard to replace your hydraulic fluids entirely, using SpeedBleeders. It is the safety move, for you.
SnuffySmith likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:18 AM
Farkle Trainee

This "moisture in the brake fluid" thing is so old it's got whiskers on it

Given that a brake fluid reservoir with an open vent to atmosphere will allow water vapour to be absorbed by the fluid, with the results we all know about.

But, the reservoirs on motorcycles and modern cars have a sealed membrane or bellows above the fluid that separates the fluid from atmosphere.

So does water vapour pass through the membrane/bellows to get absorbed by the fluid?
2mountains and dravnx like this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks.....am going to do this in the next couple of days.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Excellent article.....Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page